Getting the printer onto a network (1 Viewer)

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Recently I bought a netgear wired router, and have since then connected a laptop to it in order to split the broadband. I found out that my printer is also able to be networked, so I thought it would be an idea to have the printer print whenever both the computer (where it;s hooked up to) and the laptop request it.

So i plugged an ethernet cable into the router and printer, installed the software and went to 'share printer' in the control panel, for that particular printer. But, when i go to 'add printer' in the laptop control panel, it doesnt recognise any printer as being on the network.

Anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
i'm not necessarily sure, but with mine i never had to actually add the printer to my laptop. i'm working with a wireless router, and i tell the main computer to share the printer and settings, so when i want to print something on my laptop, it's sharing the main comp's settings, it comes up with the printers in print options. The major downside with this is that i can only print when the desktop is turned on.

hmmm that wasn't very helpful...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
If your printer is connected directly to the router it should be recognised as a network device I think.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Printers turned on and evrything?

Latest firmware running on the router?

Can you ping the printer (either from your computer of router)?

Is it showing up on the list of connected devices on the router?

Does the printer support DHCP/is the router using DHCP?

If all else fails factory reset the router and printer, load latest firmware to both and try again.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Networked printers (not shared through a computer) have many different ways of being set up, depending on the printer. You should check your printer manufacturer's website for manuals on the printer.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
No a router with a print-server is a router that has a parallel port allowing normal printers to plug into it and operate. 011 has an ethernet printer (eg cat5 as opposed to parallel or USB hangs out its arse.

As a tanget I'm interested in whether a USB->Ethernet converter would allow a normal printer (USB) to operate from a router.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
addymac said:
No a router with a print-server is a router that has a parallel port allowing normal printers to plug into it and operate. 011 has an ethernet printer (eg cat5 as opposed to parallel or USB hangs out its arse.

As a tanget I'm interested in whether a USB->Ethernet converter would allow a normal printer (USB) to operate from a router.
That's interesting...is it possible...coz I'd like to share a printer....but my printer is USB and my routers just for wireless broadband...but 3/4 ethernet ports are free

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
I'm just guessin', but wouldn't the router assign an l.P to the printer?
So that when you go to add-printer, you just type out that address?

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Hi all sorry for the lack of updates :eek:

I haven't yet but then again I havent devoted much effort to it lately - i tried grizzly's approach of IP earlier on but it says it isnt found. I'll take a look at mednez's link, thanks :)

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
the new Apple AirPort Express station allows ethernet/wireless printing to USB printers - plus it is only the size of a power brick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)