Getting to Uni (1 Viewer)

katie436

HSC
I assume that most people are driving to uni these days.

I decided to train it this semester, but after my car being broken into at the train station, I think I will pay for the petrol.

How is everyone else getting around? Anyone bothering with public transport?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I drive... 40mins each way in the traffic... my other choice is close to 2hours on public transport...

driving is the way it goes

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
I used to get a lift to the station and catch the train up, but this year I couldn't get a lift anymore so I started driving up. The extra time it gave me was good, but the petrol started to get a bit harsh so I started catching the train up again this semester and just leaving my car at the station.

I wasn't sure how safe it would be to leave it there, but figured it would be fine. Not so sure about that now, and after missing a train by no more than 10 seconds yesterday and having to wait an hour for the next one, I'm thinking I might just start driving again next week.

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
darkliight said:
I used to get a lift to the station and catch the train up, but this year I couldn't get a lift anymore so I started driving up. The extra time it gave me was good, but the petrol started to get a bit harsh so I started catching the train up again this semester and just leaving my car at the station.

I wasn't sure how safe it would be to leave it there, but figured it would be fine. Not so sure about that now, and after missing a train by no more than 10 seconds yesterday and having to wait an hour for the next one, I'm thinking I might just start driving again next week.
Your own fault in not leaving enough time for early trains. I get to the train station 10 minutes, as a minimum, before it is suposed to arrive.

I have taken the train up to campus for the last year and a half and I can only think of two times that I have had problem with the trains.

It pays to plan for unexpected things :)

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
Timesplitter 01 said:
Your own fault in not leaving enough time for early trains. I get to the train station 10 minutes, as a minimum, before it is suposed to arrive.

I have taken the train up to campus for the last year and a half and I can only think of two times that I have had problem with the trains.

Uhh, it was the train leaving hamilton to get back to the coast that I missed, not the first train I catch of the morning. I was literally off the hunter line train as the central coast train started leaving - usually they wait, but sometimes they don't.

Also, almost all of my classes are on the other side of campus, and most of the warabrook trains come just after the hour so I've usually got a decent wait there too.

katie436

HSC
I managed to get from maths to the station in 13 minutes, as well as giving an Irish girl directions to the bar...If that isn't a stereo-type, I don't know what is.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
Timesplitter 01 said:

not if you have to catch connecting trains.
ive taken the train for nearly 3 years and i have had SO many nightmares with city rail, ive even had days where trains didnt come and then were late and the next one was all stations and so then i miss the connecting train and as a result i ended up getting to uni as my last lecture was halfway through, so i basically came for nothing. i drove last semester but am going back to trains now. but getting to the stations 10 minutes early is not going to safeguard you against 'unexpected things' with city rail..

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
On most occasions i drive to maitland station and catch the train in. I'm a bit paranoid about my car being left there, but it should be fine... i hope.

When I go back for the 6-9 classes on tuesdays, I drive.. Woo! Free parking! :p

Last edited:

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
ive taken the train for nearly 3 years and i have had SO many nightmares with city rail, ive even had days where trains didnt come and then were late and the next one was all stations and so then i miss the connecting train and as a result i ended up getting to uni as my last lecture was halfway through, so i basically came for nothing. i drove last semester but am going back to trains now. but getting to the stations 10 minutes early is not going to safeguard you against 'unexpected things' with city rail..
I have to catch 2 trains to get up to campus and 3 on the way home. So I have to catch 5 trains a day :p

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
Timesplitter 01 said:
I have to catch 2 trains to get up to campus and 3 on the way home. So I have to catch 5 trains a day :p

I also get 4 trains a day plus buses, which I have done for nearly 3 years..as do many people

Aime Fantasy

HSC
Buy a bike! ... if you live within ~10km of the uni... cheapest way to get around.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
Yeah, I can certainly relate to that. Being from Woy Woy, it takes me 2 hours from station to sttion, and that isnt inclusive of trackworks when they happen. So many times I have looked at the timetables and seen that the train on the central coast line leaving from hamilton, leaves 2-3 minutes before the train from the hunter line arrives at hamilton. Its pretty annoying after a long day at uni to be held back further by trains not being synchronised. Dont even get me started on trains being cancelled from Hamilton - Telarah. So glad I have moved within 10 minutes walk from the uni. End Rant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)