Getting your Ps - Driver Ability Road Test (DART) (1 Viewer)

sandz_2

HSC
Your points are for the most part valid but two things: If you need to practise returning to a carpark I wouldn't say you are ready to take the test. The other one is more esoteric but your description of steering is a bit confusing.

You can either use the push pull method or the hand over hand method. Also you can take one hand off the wheel to do other functions (obviously) - people shouldn't be worrying about their hands - if you need to turn on the wipers or de-misters that is more important.
It depends which RTA you do the test at.. the one I done my test at had heaps of space as it inspects vehicles, trucks etc but another RTA nearby has their car spots in a multi level shopping car park that is pretty narrow to drive through - so that point really depends on the RTA

for the steering point.. I meant other than turning a corner or performing a manoeuvre, putting the wipers on etc.. both your hands should be on the steering wheel while driving.. not one hand to show that you have control of the car. It mentions it somewhere in the manual

Last edited:

sandz_2

HSC
and reverse parkings have been taken out of the exam. you only have to complete a curb side parking, and a 3-point turn.
I did those two - 3 point turn and kerbside stop a week and a half ago but my sister done the test a few times [after being failed for speeding and stupid other things] and got asked to do reverse parking one time. Did they remove reverse parking from the test recently?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
What kind of park you have to do depends on the area as far as I know. I had to park behind a car, parallel to the gutter, is that what you guys mean by reverse park?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
yeah thats what they mean, I did a proper reverse park when I got back to the RTA and the dude was like we NEVER test those.

random boy

HSC
Guys ive had my L's for exactly a month now and have done 30 hours. I got them on my 16th birthday and am going to try in December for my P'z on my 17th Birthday. Lately ive been looking at cars. My dads limit is $10.000. Do you think it is too early for me to purchase a car now? Even if i think ive found the right one?

michaelb92

HSC
What do you need to bring when you go for your P's test?

before you say anything, i'm not asking what's involved in the driving test, i just wanna know what you need to bring in order to go for your red p's?

edit: the reason why i said "before you say anything" was because i originally made a new thread for this, but it got moved anyway, so can anyone tell me what u need to bring? cheers

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Guys ive had my L's for exactly a month now and have done 30 hours. I got them on my 16th birthday and am going to try in December for my P'z on my 17th Birthday. Lately ive been looking at cars. My dads limit is $10.000. Do you think it is too early for me to purchase a car now? Even if i think ive found the right one?
Wait until you've driven more so you can buy something which you really connect with and appreciate (e.g. what you find 'powerful' or 'fast' now could change very rapidly as you become more experienced with driving).

There will always be good and bad buys in the used car market. Don't worry too much and just let things come :)

ps. Good to see this thread got stickied.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Re: What do you need to bring when you go for your P's test?

before you say anything, i'm not asking what's involved in the driving test, i just wanna know what you need to bring in order to go for your red p's?
licence, logbook and car
need to book in advance too

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Don't they put up on the website exactly what ID is required before they'll print you one (if you pass)?

Also suggest filling in form beforehand. Makes things easier/faster.

michaelb92

HSC

Don't they put up on the website exactly what ID is required before they'll print you one (if you pass)?

Also suggest filling in form beforehand. Makes things easier/faster.
thanks all, what form?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Not sure on the exact names anymore but they're all up on the RTA website... might be "NEW LICENCE FORM" or something along those lines. It's basically where you fill in your particulars, any disabilities you may have, whether you need glasses, whether you want to be an organ donor, etc...

michaelb92

HSC

Not sure on the exact names anymore but they're all up on the RTA website... might be "NEW LICENCE FORM" or something along those lines. It's basically where you fill in your particulars, any disabilities you may have, whether you need glasses, whether you want to be an organ donor, etc...
ok, cheers

random boy

HSC
Wait until you've driven more so you can buy something which you really connect with and appreciate (e.g. what you find 'powerful' or 'fast' now could change very rapidly as you become more experienced with driving).

There will always be good and bad buys in the used car market. Don't worry too much and just let things come :)

ps. Good to see this thread got stickied.
I really feel like ive foudn the right one now but im scared due to how long ive got. 3rd party insurance as wlel its all costs...

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
^
In one way it'd be good to buy it now because then you will always be in it and will be very comfortable driving solo once you're on your Ps. But at the same time, will your parents be paying for petrol etc if it's your own car? And by the time you get your Ps there'll be better cars within your price range.

screwed4hsc

Premium Member
HSC
for NSW people.. how do you distinguish a P1 Manual license compared to an auto one? I passed in manual and all my license says is Class: C P1 and Conditions: Y

does an auto license have anything different on it?
thnx

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Under conditions it'd have "A". Y is prohibited vehicles, there's one for glasses/contacts too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)