Getting your Ps - Driver Ability Road Test (DART) (2 Viewers)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
btw, what happens if am told to overtake someone but im at speed limit, and the other driver (whom i wish to overtake) is travelling at a greater velocity?
You can only overtake on their right, so if they are speeding in the left lane, just do the speed limit.

Im not knowledgeable on the car tests, but if an instructor told me that id turn around and demand the RTA for a new instructor.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
btw, what happens if am told to overtake someone but im at speed limit, and the other driver (whom i wish to overtake) is travelling at a greater velocity?
They don't usually tell you to overtake from memory.

Wight

ಠ_ಠ
HSC
They won't ask you to overtake and yeah you park in the RTA at the end (or nearby the RTA if it doesn't have its own parking lot...such as Ingleburn).
Also..they won't fail you if your parking is poor inside the RTA, just get it between the lines so you're not obstructing others (the parking bays are significantly wider for the L Plater parking)

Just some extra tips (if you read this before hand):

Relax. But not so you lose focus on the road/driving.

There is generally a stop sign when you exit the RTA...if it is there (be ready for it...it could also be a solid line) come to a complete stop and literally count to 5 or 6 depending on how strict you feel your testing officer (1 'one thousand' 2 'one thousand' 3 'one thousand' etc etc :) ). You MIGHT get away with 4.

Two hands on the wheel at all times...unless you are shifting, in which case change gear then immediately go back to having both hands on the wheel (my first time I failed because I kept my hand on the gearstick a few times for a couple of shifts on straights, such as second to third to fourth...derp -.-)

Be aware of whats around you. Pedestrians. Cars. AND SIGNS (oh and lines on the road) Basic stuff really.

Remember your road rules haha

Can't think of any more to put particular focus on.

You should be right xD. Good luck.

Last edited:

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
cheers wight, what a legend! Thanks for the detailed tips and reply!!

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
It isn't necessary to count to any amount of time when at a Stop sign. All you have to do is make sure the car comes to a complete stop and then if it's safe to proceed then you can, none of this counting business.

Wight

ಠ_ಠ
HSC
It isn't necessary to count to any amount of time when at a Stop sign. All you have to do is make sure the car comes to a complete stop and then if it's safe to proceed then you can, none of this counting business.
Wasn't the case with me :( . They said I didn't stop for long enough...(but then again...I had a testing officer in the car testing my testing officer..so maybe my testing officer freaked lol)
Regardless, shouldn't hurt to wait.

Last edited:

frippyful

HSC
and reverse parkings have been taken out of the exam. you only have to complete a curb side parking, and a 3-point turn.
by 'curbside parking' do you mean it wont be between anything? just on the curb? is the reverse parking really taken out, because that is my weakest

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
right now i am FKING PISSED. ok this is how i didnt pass. you know at a round-a-bout if youre waiting to turn right and there cars coming from the front(turning right) and going straight. if a car goes straight and blocks the other car, you can go. i assure you 100000000000000% it was safe. the freaking instructor told me to stop at the front IN THE FKING roundabout (what could i do - listened to instructor), you could see his face - he knew he was wrong. so we did the rest of the test, received my score (102/109) guess what?GETS ME FOR FRIGGIN ILLEGAL MANEUVER AND FAILING TO GIVE WAY WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. i tried arguing with him, told me to stop and said you've been notified of your mistakes.

castle hill - steve i believe. rules_image_one.ashx.gif

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
why did you listen to him?

it could've been simply to test your knowledge of road rules (you knew full well it was illegal)

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
how do you mean? i read in the booklet "deliberate failure to follow instructions" is instant fail, probably which is why it isnt ticked in the green feedback paper. arghhh, so annoyed... just noticed the intervening fail item wasnt ticked wth... this guy was definitely off the ball

EDIT: oh shivers, you could be right. "You must follow all REASONABLE directions given to you by the testing officer during the test."

Last edited:

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
The testing officer should never tell you to do something that is illegal or dangerous/unsafe in any way. You're the one in control of the vehicle and it's your job to make sure you're driving safe, that's exactly what they're testing.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
That is the exact reason as to why I'm pissed, oh well I'll just try again... thanks guys

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Thanks, it's honestly the best feeling once the instructor has verified that "you have passed!" Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, still so excited!!!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
failed first time instructor was the biggest cunt, said I didn't do the observation checks and I specifically made sure I did and didn't give me back my learners licence even after I said he forgot to give it me and got a new one at another rta and the rta I did my test in sends my old licence in the mail the next day. Want to burn this rta branch to the ground.

Second time passed with 108/108

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
yeah I made sure the instructor knew I was looking, made my observations checks REALLY obvious

HSC
hey has anyone done their test at Hornsby
what manoeuvres do they usually ask you to do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)