GG - Sydney uni scholarship (1 Viewer)

avro

HSC
In all honesty, I think it is also how you present yourself. My ECs were pretty good - state champ debater, recipient of some prestigious awards, house captain, charity work etc etc, but I didn't get shortlisted. But I think one of the things that matters is the most is how much you show them that they need you, or how much you need the scholarship and why you deserve it. Like LHS said, it might be that this year they're trying to attract a greater variety of students, such as those from rural areas.

Even though my academics and ECs were strong, I'm just another 17 year old girl from Sydney. Nothing really different about me. As I said, they might be trying to enhance a wider demographic to the USYD population. Plus, don't lose heart. There's other scholarships available for when you start your degree :)

onelife1chance

HSC
GG. Wasn't really planning on going to usyd anyways but oh well. I'm just wondering, how did they make the decision without even looking at my HSC marks? my ATAR estimate was 95 (sufficient enough for a scholarship).
your a fukin disgrace bro. you have brought shame to your family and everyone reading this post.
OP is a phaggot, negged

thekooldude

HSC
In all honesty, I think it is also how you present yourself. My ECs were pretty good - state champ debater, recipient of some prestigious awards, house captain, charity work etc etc, but I didn't get shortlisted. But I think one of the things that matters is the most is how much you show them that they need you, or how much you need the scholarship and why you deserve it. Like LHS said, it might be that this year they're trying to attract a greater variety of students, such as those from rural areas.

Even though my academics and ECs were strong, I'm just another 17 year old girl from Sydney. Nothing really different about me. As I said, they might be trying to enhance a wider demographic to the USYD population. Plus, don't lose heart. There's other scholarships available for when you start your degree :)
It wasn't jst about extra curriculars and academics it was about the way it was presented in. on the usyd merit scholarship website there was a hints and tricks for the personal statement http://sydney.edu.au/scholarships/docsschols/hints_and_tips.pdf

We had to be creative and present all our ECs and Academics in a more "fun" way. Because my academics and ECs are actually very poor but i wrote it in a creative format and i still got shortlisted.

Rawf

HSC
your a fukin disgrace bro. you have brought shame to your family and everyone reading this post.
OP is a phaggot, negged
Parents don't care.
Are scholarships just for money? Because that isn't really a problem for me...

nifkeh

HSC
GG. Wasn't really planning on going to usyd anyways but oh well. I'm just wondering, how did they make the decision without even looking at my HSC marks? my ATAR estimate was 95 (sufficient enough for a scholarship).
they don't just look for marks and academic achievement, they're looking for a balance or a jack of all trades, not just a smart guy. I don't mean to be blunt but that's the real criteria they're after

nifkeh

HSC
Parents don't care.
Are scholarships just for money? Because that isn't really a problem for me...
I'm pretty sure everyone does it for the money, and it may have other extra benefits (e.g. more opportunities for doing work experience/internships than others without it or just getting some extra benefits in uni). However not all scholarships are poor or disadvantaged kids getting it either

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Congrats!

I'm just curious about how many extracurricular things you did and what you included in your application.
Thank you, I do alot of extracurriculars.
*Serious/Adv 2 level ballet dancer+other styles (associated leadership and such there)
*Prefect
*Represented internationally for science
*State public speaker/debater/done most of AMEB drama grades
*Lots of volunteering/community work-literacy tutoring, canteen server for 4 yrs, legacy collector charity committee etc.
*Strong results in academics and academic comps of all nature (ICAS science, essay writing and creative writing comps etc.)

Those are the top few things I can think of the top of my head-I did make sure my personal statement was pretty tight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)