'Gifted and Talented People' (1 Viewer)

TaEkWoNdObArBiE

Mmmm....kinky
HSC
Today at school I got this thing informing me I was 'gifted and talented' and asking me to go to UNSW to enroll in a program thing. Its for people in year 7-10 and you can choose to do a course that 'heightens thinking' or something.
Does anybody know anything about it? Further more, is anybody going?
Cheers.

roadcone

HSC
I did the Scientia programme at UNSW in years 9 and 10. If you have the chance it is definately a worthwhile experience. When choosing a workshop to attend my best advice would be to read up on exactly what is involved and make sure you choose one that interests you.

roadcone

HSC
TaEkWoNdObArBiE said:
Did you stay there overnight? Cause I'm kinda worried/scared about that.
no i didnt stay there, mainly because i live near cronulla so it is like 40-50 minutes to the university so there wasnt much point. the people who did stay at the colleges and stuff tho said it was fine, it is like 2 nights after all. everyone there is also really nice, taking into account that some of the people attending are quite smart so if you can handle that type you'll be sweet

TaEkWoNdObArBiE

Mmmm....kinky
HSC
roadcone said:
no i didnt stay there, mainly because i live near cronulla so it is like 40-50 minutes to the university so there wasnt much point. the people who did stay at the colleges and stuff tho said it was fine, it is like 2 nights after all. everyone there is also really nice, taking into account that some of the people attending are quite smart so if you can handle that type you'll be sweet
Are they smart in a massive 'I show off about it way' because...I am really not smart like that at all. I dont even think I'm smart at all.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I went to a longer residential camp at UNSW, and from my experience, practically no one is a massive "show off" - the general atmosphere is pretty much your normal school atmosphere, minus all the idiotic twats who annoy everyone. These programs aren't competitions as to how intelligent you are, they're an opportunity for young people interested in a particular area to go and look deeper into that area than they normally would be able to. I would greatly recommend going - you'll make great new friends and you should have a fun time. If you're worried about staying there, remember that pretty much everyone is in the same boat, and that you'l be sure to find new friends that mke these worries disappear.

TaEkWoNdObArBiE

Mmmm....kinky
HSC
YAY...I got my acceptance thing today and I am sooo nervous. I got into my first choice, ethics in law.
I'm sooo scared though.

stainmepink

HSC
TaEkWoNdObArBiE said:
Today at school I got this thing informing me I was 'gifted and talented' and asking me to go to UNSW to enroll in a program thing. Its for people in year 7-10 and you can choose to do a course that 'heightens thinking' or something.
Does anybody know anything about it? Further more, is anybody going?
Cheers.

oh yeh. i went to the "gifted and talented" program at Usyd and let me tell you it was biggest waste of 300 dollars. if you get a certificate from going, then i suggest you go just to put it on your resume, but other than that, dont expect to learn anything new or "heighten" your level of thinking. its just all a con for the Unis to make extra cash and promote themselves.

TaEkWoNdObArBiE

Mmmm....kinky
HSC
gobaby said:
oh yeh. i went to the "gifted and talented" program at Usyd and let me tell you it was biggest waste of 300 dollars. if you get a certificate from going, then i suggest you go just to put it on your resume, but other than that, dont expect to learn anything new or "heighten" your level of thinking. its just all a con for the Unis to make extra cash and promote themselves.

LOL...oh crap...lol, I'm more excited about going and possibly meeting some spunky 'intelligent' guys.
HAHAHA...I'm such a shithead.
But, continuing in that vein, does anybody have any idea how to get from the Blue Mtns, to UNSW (the randwicky campus thing :p)

E

Elenessa

I've been going to Jnr Scientia/Scientia programs for 6 or 7 years now. I've stayed residential (on campus), gone to camps and taken courses in like 5 or 6 different fields eg medicine, law, languages, fine arts etc. the courses are a great way to meet new friends and see what you're really interested in.

I've found my interests changing and that helps me to pick my subjects for electives and subjects. It also helps you to figure out what you like at uni, and you get to use all the facilities there. I've been to dissection rooms at UNSW with other med students and the faculties of law, bioscience, engineering, the different libraries etc

The GERRIC programs are great to help you experience the different uni courses available in a way suitable for ppl who are non-uni age. If you ever get the chance, go to one, it totally changes your view of uni and subjects. Try picking courses that you think you might be interested in but wouldn't usually pick, often you find that you are more interested than you thought! Once again, if you get a chance, GO!!

suger_plum

Banned
In Heads Racing Car Bed!!! You Know You Want Me!!!
HSC
TaEkWoNdObArBiE said:
LOL...oh crap...lol, I'm more excited about going and possibly meeting some spunky 'intelligent' guys.
HAHAHA...I'm such a shithead.
But, continuing in that vein, does anybody have any idea how to get from the Blue Mtns, to UNSW (the randwicky campus thing :p)
ur gunna need to catch a train to central and get a bus from there

TaEkWoNdObArBiE

Mmmm....kinky
HSC
OMG OMG OMG...I went and i LOVVVVED it. Ethics in Law rocked. Twas soooo fun! I got to be a lawyer. YES....sooo great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)