Gifted children benefit from bypassing high school for uni (1 Viewer)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
http://m.smh.com.au/national/educat.../2014-social_traffic-all-postprom-nnn-ebaby-o

"While his kindergarten classmates were learning to tie their shoelaces, Jacob Bradd was solving algebra problems. By third grade he was working his way through a university calculus textbook. And at 13, he blitzed HSC extension maths after only knuckling down to study a week from the exams.

It was this astonishing progression that propelled him to university this year, where he began full-time study at 14, the youngest student on campus at Wollongong and among the youngest nationwide.

For his parents, it was difficult to decide what to do with a child too*intelligent for high school but too young for adult life.

"Our main reservations were related to his social life," his father,*hydrogeologist Dr John Bradd, said. "So we actively make sure he keeps up with his friends from school on weekends and when he's not at uni."

Transitioning to university at a young age is increasingly being used in Australia to*meet the needs of highly intelligent students, according to a paper by academics from the University of NSW to be published in the January 2015 issue of*Roeper Review.

One of the co-authors,*Jae Yup Jared Jung, has been researching the career decisions of gifted students and says very few regret being accelerated.
Discuss.

Will provide input when I'm home and not on my phone.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
No point in holding back great talent

Everyone goes at their own pace~

Papercutter

HSC
Social life... pffffft. Social life aint gonna get you the dollars..
You improve and gain new social skills through your social life. I reckon these skills will be very useful for when the kid decides to start work because it'll be essential for interviews and such. Also, you probably get a bigger connection with other people and that might even mean the difference between landing a job or not.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
There's no point holding back extreme talent and intellect.

The kid can go to uni and there can a social life on the weekend or during his time off.

Anthel

HSC
N/A
You improve and gain new social skills through your social life. I reckon these skills will be very useful for when the kid decides to start work because it'll be essential for interviews and such. Also, you probably get a bigger connection with other people and that might even mean the difference between landing a job or not.
I was joking...

milkytea99

HSC
Since he's extremely ahead, instead of making him go to uni at a young age, Why don't just let him be in the same grade as his peers instead of accelerating him? And let him smash everyone every year, get dux every year, go to james ruse, win maths Olympiads every year and get 99.95 in year 12. And maybe 5 state ranks lol

PhysicsMaths

HSC
Too much wasted potential. The kid would be miserable every year because nothing would be challenging

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)