Gimme Comments on small cheap low petrol consumption GETZ (1 Viewer)

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
I think i mite get this car to save petrol from travelling from castle hill to bankstown every day for work experience, considering castle hill and padstow dont have trainstations closeby.

So do u think its worth it for 9 grand with 21000 km for a Hyundai Getz, compared to cars like the yr2000+ models fiesta, ignis, swift, barina SRi, astra, corrolla, C.sportivo, echo in terms of performance.

Also, im looken for cheap places that do Mag wheels, muffler kits, and car audio....

Cheers,

Fumoffu

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Work experience is short term and so not a reason in itself to get a car.

$9K is cheap but so is the car. I have always found them very cheap and nasty. Mechanically the problems have certainly decreased since Hyundais launch into the Australia market, however they still persist to an extent.

In terms of performance it will beat only the: ignis and swift (maybe). For that reason I would recommend a second hand laser, focus (fiesta is too new to get second hand but the new model focus should have pushed prices on the old one down) or astra. I think Corolla will be out of the price range and ignis', swifts, barinas and echoes inferior to the others.

Given that you want to put on mags a loud exhaust and a pumpin sound system to create a fully sik driving experience I would definantly avoid the Getz, Ignis and Echo purely on those grounds.

As far as where to make your car that fully sik, there are a couple of mag places that advertise in the Trading Post who should be able to fix you up with mags with tyres from about $1500. Otherwise there's second hand which are unfortunately not as common as you think (and certainly not in the sizes you will need). As a final word of advice on mags they will do three things:
A)They will slow you down. They weigh more than stock wheels and because of rotational inertia this will be magnified (eg 1kg extra on a wheel is roughly equivalent to twenty extra in the car itself).
B)You will slide more. They will reduce the ammount of intertia the car can dissipiate through body roll and thus decrease 'slip speed'. That is to say you will slide more.
C)You will go through tyres quicker. Thinner tyres mean that there is less room for them to absorb the impact of a pothole so you are more likely to bust them. The increased sliding will also increase tread wear.

Exhausts: any exhaust shop can do what you want which will be at most a cat-back system with a small/no resonantor and a canon muffler. Though you may just go the canon for cost reasons. I would expect up to say $1K depending on what you get. As a warning if you do get say a 2.5" cat-back system this will knock bottom end power in exchange for minimal top-end gains.

ICE (In Car Entertainment): This is a very vague area and can cost anywhere from $150 to several thousand. I'm assuming that you won't be installing yourself and installation will probably cost say $200 for a complete system. You're looking at spending a mimimum of $100 on a reciever (CD player) and more likely $200. Add a cheapo amp for $150 and a cheapo sup for about $150 and you can see what I mean cost wise. As a note you can pick up components pretty cheaply of Ebay.

Given that you're looking at budgeting several thousand dollars to pimp/rice up your 'ride my advice would be to more simply spend say $12K as opposed to $9K on getting it in the first place so that you get a nicer/newer car and then modify it over time doing work yourself.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
addymac,

that was an awesome reply cheers mate = )

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Happy to help.

So what really do you want to spend? 9k, 12K or 17K? Narrow that down a little bit and I can give abit more accurate advice. Though for my money the winner would be a 2000-ish Ford Laser (or Mazda 323) sedan with the nice factory kit. That should cost aprox 13K, add a tasteful set of say 15" mags and some decent tyres at 1.5K and $700 in audio ($100 reciever [VDO138], $50 wiring, $100 upgrade speakers, $150 Rockford Fosgate amp off Ebay, $150 boxed 12" sub and labour to install).

From 17K this leaves a lazy 1.5 which you can spend replacing: all the fluids and filters, Also change the spark plugs, ignition wires, timing belt, alternator belt, A/C belt, regas A/C if necessary, replace CV joints if knocking at all, new brake pads.

All that will give you an attractive car with decent sound that shouldn't have any unexpected mechanical problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)