Girls like Oppression? (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm definately going to get flamed down for this, but i've noticed there seems to be a backlash from the womens rights movement..with more girls wanting to get married, look after kids, have a man taller than them, wear corsette's n shit like that.

While I believe women are gaining greater power in the work force for instance, and definately in society, politics i believe when it comes to relationships etc there seems to be a backlash of girls who simply want to be oppressed by some dumb bloke.

I accredit this to the womens rights movement, some girls were FORCED to become independant etc when really they did just wanna look after kids, be some guys wife, and now they're going against it. Also depression, i believe the increase in 'depression' or as to not start an argument over that, the increase in 'depressed people' has caused girls to look to a man. They can find comfort in having a guy look after them etc..

I also believe this would be true for guys, however we have a fairly commanding nature and society has conditioned us not to look for comfort in someone in that way...

I'd just like to hear people's thoughts on this.

timrie6

HSC
N/A
anyone who 'likes' oppression are too ignorant to realise they are being oppressed

olay

HSC
isn't doing something you want the opposite of oppression?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
No I see where you're coming from.

But for a long time, a lot of people (not only girls) find self-validation through the opposite sex, especially from a young age.

Boy has a girlfriend
That Boy is liked
Therefore he musn't be all that bad.

But I don't think all women are "turning" to men for validation, or because they're depressed. It's again, following society's discourses, the same way a man is expected to settle down to a wife. The Women's Movement opened up "choice" as in to vote, to get a job, etc, but it did not mean that having a husband etc was not what they didn't want. It was a liberation of what women were expected to be - ie: stay at home, cook and clean. Right now the culture seems to be that the woman NOT ONLY cooks and cleans, but goes out to work as well. The men have also picked up what use to be "feminine" roles such as to cook etc. and hopefull clean :) hahaha

With the corsets, I must admit they're very pretty etc - but symbolic of the opressed Victorian woman etc. Yet IMO I think it's a lot to do with how VAIN the 21st Century is, ie: both men AND women must look sexy, etc. Which leads to women searching through the closests, pulling out bra fillers and God knows what else that makes them more "attractive". It's not a form of oppression, I think it's the materialism in our century.

I've rambled enough. Not-That-Bright, we both should be studying for art!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
STUDY and ART are not two things that go together!!
Anyway i could tie womens oppression in with Barbara Kreugar and the Guerilla girls.

spooky's.gal

HSC
i like the idea of getting married, having kids, staying home and being a 'homemaker' rather than going out into the workforce. but that isnt coz i wanna be oppressed. i would just rather stay at home and create a loving happy environment for my husband and kids, than go out everyday and face the crappy full of shit world that our planet has become.
NB, my bf isnt a dumb bloke, if i was gonna put trust in anyone to create a future for me while i stay home and cook, it'd be him.

but i must say i agree, based on what i personally have noticed, many more women/girls are kinda rebelling agaisnt the whole womens movement, many dont wanna be shoved out into the workforce, they dont wanna make decisions based soley upon their 'womens right' to do so.

its gonna be interesting to see if this keeps happening, and whether on a bigger or smaller scale. lol, imagine if all that women's rights stuff goes down the drain and we are all forced to be housewives again. what a backlash to history that'd be.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Nah nah nah nah nah remember girls

Women's Movement was about choice. It doesn't mean that if you choose NOT to be in the workforce, that you're going AGAINST the movement

It merely means you have the freedom to choose.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well i think it's more... alot of girls naturally want to be 'the little spoon', and with the way society changed these girls were kinda forced, told it's WRONG to not want total independance... now they're going against that.

The womens movement was about choice, but it brought about a change in social structure which made girls that didn't want to be so independant be looked down upon..

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Hmmm....
Well, I know that I'd want to settle down and marry some day, have kids or whatever, but first, get a good steady job. Which is nice to choose. And it's cool if some girls wanna be not-so-independent. Were girls really looked down upon if they didnt wanna be so independent? That's a bit sad. Too much categorising in this world.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
They still are today!
The expectation on girls is to have the sorta high-income, high-powered job where they don't need a man's sallary while also having children, looking after them AND be as sexually active as guys are...

If you're not a modern career woman in todays society i feel you do get shunned upon..

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I can see sorta why, as in, if a girl wanted to lay back and wait for some man that's rich to come and go on bended knee to ask for her hand. (although I must admit that would be quuuuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite flattering!) But if she expects it, and that no other alternative will do - it's a bit of a concern, and I'm aware that it is also an incredible extreme.

I can see where you're totally coming from with the shunning. *shrugs* cruel world and its expectations to ASSIMILATE to all the dominant discourses

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I'm definately going to get flamed down for this, but i've noticed there seems to be a backlash from the womens rights movement..with more girls wanting to get married, look after kids, have a man taller than them, wear corsette's n shit like that.

While I believe women are gaining greater power in the work force for instance, and definately in society, politics i believe when it comes to relationships etc there seems to be a backlash of girls who simply want to be oppressed by some dumb bloke.

I accredit this to the womens rights movement, some girls were FORCED to become independant etc when really they did just wanna look after kids, be some guys wife, and now they're going against it. Also depression, i believe the increase in 'depression' or as to not start an argument over that, the increase in 'depressed people' has caused girls to look to a man. They can find comfort in having a guy look after them etc..

I also believe this would be true for guys, however we have a fairly commanding nature and society has conditioned us not to look for comfort in someone in that way...

I'd just like to hear people's thoughts on this.
the basis of human nature has remained consistent ever since humans existed

males are the providers
women are the submissive care-takers

not my view....but natures view

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
the basis of human nature has remained consistent ever since humans existed

males are the providers
women are the submissive care-takers

not my view....but natures view
Noooooo.... some tribes in PNG (using this example cuz I don't think they had a womens movement etc) have the women PROVIDING food by gathering etc, and men don't even hunt, they build houses etc once every blue moon. And when they do, they celebrate their work, drinking and feasting (on the food the women provide them), thinking its great, while the women are still slaving away, finding more food for the feast for their one day of work. Although there are variations etc

Although I agree to you to a POINT.... I don't think its the basis of human nature. I think its one massive construct

I forgot which country, but in history had worshipped women etc. I'll look it up if you want

Lundy

Banned
HSC
It's not oppression, in fact it's quite the opposite: women have the choice now to go into the workforce or stay home and take on traditional feminine duties, or even a mixture of both.

I think it's the right to make a choice that's "feminist", not the choice itself.

Last edited:

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
im probably going to get shut down for this but feminists annoy me. they're so... well theres no better word for it... ANNOYING!
if i want to stay at home, get married to a 6"4 hot buff guy who's smart fun and has a great job, have kids and spend my time raising them, then thats my choice, its not me being oppressed or anything. plus as if any guy would mind coming home to a happy, unstressed wife, nice house and dinner on the table!!!!
the reality is though, unless your husband has a high paying job, in the kinda world we live in now, women have to work, to just support their families.

women should be worshiped tho... the amazonians had it right ;)

Last edited:

tennille

HSC
If women are happy with what they are doing, then they are not being oppressed. I know where you're coming from because it is the typical "housewife" position that many women are interested in and that was common in the 1950's. But then again, women were happy with their position back then. Whatever thy're happy with. At least now they are not forced to do that.

HSC
azzie said:
im probably going to get shut down for this but feminists annoy me. they're so... well theres no better word for it... ANNOYING!
if i want to stay at home, get married to a 6"4 hot buff guy who's smart fun and has a great job, have kids and spend my time raising them, then thats my choice, its not me being oppressed or anything. plus as if any guy would mind coming home to a happy, unstressed wife, nice house and dinner on the table!!!!
the reality is though, unless your husband has a high paying job, in the kinda world we live in now, women have to work, to just support their families.

women should be worshiped tho... the amazonians had it right ;)
feminists, immature brats...their all the same thing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)