Give advice, building new comp. (1 Viewer)

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Building a new comp, well, just mobo, ram, CPU and video card. Trying to keep it at $700 +/- $50 and failing.

Right now this is what I am considering.

$200 - Athlon 64 3000+ 754 - MSY.com.au
$360 - Xpertvision 6600GT (AGP) - programmersparadise.com.au
$150 - Soltek SL-K8AN2E-GR - programmersparadise.com.au (GA-K8NS at $130 an option?)
$89 - 512mb PC3200 memory - MSY.com.au

For those who are math deficient, this comes to $799. I want this figure to be cut down while still maintaining CPU and a 6600GT. The easiest way would be to find a cheaper AGP 6600GT and a cheaper mobo, and hence am asking for mobo recommendations and any place where I can acquire a cheaper video card.

Im also open to other suggestions but it will take alot to convince me, thanks for any help.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Computer markets, don't know where you live but theres one at parramatta town hall once a month, next one is on 22nd jan. Prices are low and negotiable.

The gigabyte board is definately an option, they are pretty good and have a shit-load of features.

Downgrde the processor to a 2800+ (64-bit) or some such as you won't notice the differance anywhere but you're hip pocket.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
And U-mart =)

Even if you have no intention of buying from it, you can custom build your computer, get a price and see if you can get someone else to match it / beat it.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
addymac said:
Downgrde the processor to a 2800+ (64-bit) or some such as you won't notice the differance anywhere but you're hip pocket.
I havent found a 2800+ for less than $180 and considering the 3000+ is only $20 extra at MSY I will go with the 3000+, even though the differences are really negligible. I would prefer to get into the 3000 range, it is mainly psychological.

The computer markets and such are great and all, but they aren't being held until January. I intend to purchase the parts within a week.

U-Mart doesn't seem to want to display any product info at all, in IE or Firefox.

Edit: Just found Prolink-PixelView 6600GT for $340 at http://www.custo.com.au/
Anyone seen one for cheaper?

Last edited:

Bone577

HSC
N/A
wrx said:
6600gt is really cheap on ebay(~$300) new. from asia export solutions. Really fast shipping aswell

Ahhhh ebay, I shoulda have checked there earlier. Soo many steals on ebay eg. Sealed brand new FinalFantasy10 for $15 WITH SHIPPING. Very rewarding to the patient.

Edit: They don't bother to tell you which brand of 6600GT it is though, it is almost as if they are selling Nvidia reference boards.

Last edited:

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Bone577 said:
Ahhhh ebay, I shoulda have checked there earlier.
Just make sure it's from a reputable buyer selling similar hardware. You don't want to buy a component, for example a hard drive, and have it fail on you two months later =\

Bone577

HSC
N/A
wrx said:
Yeah ive had friends who have bought off this company, they're pretty good. I think they are original nvidia boards.
Correct me if im wrong, but Nvidia don't sell their own boards. They do make some, reference and sample boards and such, but these are usually for reviewing and such and quite often given to journos/mags/websites before official releases and sometimes have bugs, glitches and sub-par performance. How anyone could get hold of such reference boards in large amounts is beyond me.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Hm, indeed. Most big companies don't distribute their product unfortunately, everything is done by resellers. Found that out the hard way trying to track down a hard drive price.

Look at the Gigabyte motherboards, they're great, and some good options to pick from =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)