Given up hope of 90 UAI, anyone? (1 Viewer)

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
that's no way to look at things..

so it's hard to get over 90.
And you've realized you're going to have to really lift your game to get it.
So how about instead of lowering the bar to meet your current performance, you raise your game to where the bar is set!

Did Edison think 'Light bulbs are hard to make, I'll just pick up a trade' when trying to design the light bulb?

Did David Beckam think 'Bending is hard, I'll just kick straight' when trying to bend it (like beckam)?

Did Martin Luther King think 'Public speaking is hard, I'll keep this to myself' when he had a dream?

NO!!
They accepted that it wouldn't be easy but they stuck through. And look where they are now..

If you're interested in attending my motivational speaking seminars feel free to PM me.
Yea two of them are dead.

Do you like finger pies?:read:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Looking at the calculators of 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 I'm currently achieving a moderated and scaled TER (WA equiv of UAI) of 94.3 without trying which makes me believe I can get into the 99 barrier. My marks aren't that great so I don't see how you can give up unless your just not determined.

General Maths 82
4U Maths 70
Economics 70
Chemistry 67
English 64
Physics 63

1 A, 5 Bs and a C = 6% percentile lol, how hard can 90 be?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Re: 回覆: Re: Given up hope of 90 UAI, anyone?

HKHSCstudent said:
How are do u push yourself>? I have a problem doing that in studying. I'm lowering my UAI aim more and more after 2 terms of yr 12. :(
What I have done is:
  1. Set up my career goals and course at uni, even if you have a back up plan NEVER EVER result to it untill you get all of your marks back. Its better to say I'm going to do law then doing bad and saying oh well I can do commerce rather then saying half way through the year, I don't needa try this hard i'll just do commerce.
  2. Start competing with a higher spectrum of classmates, I dont know about you but it really aggrovates me when people think they are smarter then me for getting better marks then me which acts as an incentive to do better.
  3. Actually try studying. Say to yourself, next test I want an A, even if you overstudy for it, that A feels real good over your C average and it promotes you do to better work.
  4. Give yourself atleast one goal of study to do. Say to yourself, today I will write up syllabus dot points 5.1-5.2. I would make sure that you have extensive syllabus notes analysing these dot points because it makes sure that if your teacher misses something (my chem teacher missed production of electrochemical cells) that you know it, it puts you 1 step ahead of your peers. Make sure your teacher reads these and states that they are 100% right, you dont want to lose marks because you forgot an appropriate statistic in that economics essay.
  5. Test yourself, get resources! If there is a chemisty test tommorow on electrochemical cells then do all of the electrochemical cells questions in the HSC exam, if you dont know the answer don't panic, ask someone!
The aim is motivating yourself with the prosperity of sucess then never getting demoralized because of a bad test mark. A friend of mine got 25% in a test weighted 8% and he had a sad untill he got 95% in the next one.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

theshortykatt said:
mm that was kinda motivational.
hehe thanks =]
One of the most important things I have come to realise(of which I was silly enough not to include in above) is that after you get into your course no one cares about your UAI.
Once you get into UAI its basically the same, you might relate this to the saying "Ps get degrees" but this is not the case for IB (what i'm "aiming for".) Make sure you have some work experience.

Think of yourself as collecting things for your CV, it will allow you to keep a well mainted balance of activities ontop of your study.

Your UAI is not the end of the world as peole tend to think it will be, there is basically allways alternative pathways so don't stress over it.

tambourine

HSC

i've lowered my UAI aim and i'm starting to lose faith...and as a result i'm confused about what i want to study at uni, what uni i want to go to and what future career i want to have :(
i feel like i can't beat the smarter kids...coz i'm smart too :) at least that's what i'm told lol...but compared to u guys who aim for 99 or 99+ ... wow lol...i can tell uni is going to be tough...but i'm so looking forward to it..i can't wait :)

HKHSCstudent

HSC
Uni Grad
回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: Given up hope of 90 UAI, anyone?

Studentleader said:
What I have done is:
  1. Set up my career goals and course at uni, even if you have a back up plan NEVER EVER result to it untill you get all of your marks back. Its better to say I'm going to do law then doing bad and saying oh well I can do commerce rather then saying half way through the year, I don't needa try this hard i'll just do commerce.
  2. Start competing with a higher spectrum of classmates, I dont know about you but it really aggrovates me when people think they are smarter then me for getting better marks then me which acts as an incentive to do better.
  3. Actually try studying. Say to yourself, next test I want an A, even if you overstudy for it, that A feels real good over your C average and it promotes you do to better work.
  4. Give yourself atleast one goal of study to do. Say to yourself, today I will write up syllabus dot points 5.1-5.2. I would make sure that you have extensive syllabus notes analysing these dot points because it makes sure that if your teacher misses something (my chem teacher missed production of electrochemical cells) that you know it, it puts you 1 step ahead of your peers. Make sure your teacher reads these and states that they are 100% right, you dont want to lose marks because you forgot an appropriate statistic in that economics essay.
  5. Test yourself, get resources! If there is a chemisty test tommorow on electrochemical cells then do all of the electrochemical cells questions in the HSC exam, if you dont know the answer don't panic, ask someone!
The aim is motivating yourself with the prosperity of sucess then never getting demoralized because of a bad test mark. A friend of mine got 25% in a test weighted 8% and he had a sad untill he got 95% in the next one.
By the way , is it harder for HSC students to get in Western Australia universities?Ask u since u study in Perth
I can do 1,3,4,5
Really lacking 2

HKHSCstudent

HSC
Uni Grad
回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: Given up hope of 90 UAI, anyone?

studentleader, u must be a really discipline student:>:>

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: Given up hope of 90 UAI, anyone?

HKHSCstudent said:
By the way , is it harder for HSC students to get in Western Australia universities?Ask u since u study in Perth
I can do 1,3,4,5
Really lacking 2
The HSC has more detail then the TEE, you will get in fine as the HSC is 'harder' (covers a bit more infortmation then the TEE.) If your worried just look up the syllabus' http://www.curriculum.wa.edu.au/pages/syllabus_manuals/volumes/I_general/general.htm < 2004/2005 Syllabuses sorry :S

Last edited:

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
aim higher the better. if you suddenly drop your aim, you wont do as well. Try harder for the rest of the year and you wont go wrong. You will definitely get 90 +. I know that for sure

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

HKHSCstudent said:
studentleader, u must be a really discipline student:>:>
This is not the case,

Every year I was advised not to do top maths, I did anyway and got 49% with marks of 30% and 33% for the exams. In the summer holidays I was sent a letter telling me to drop out of 5/6 of my subjects as my exam results were under 10% of my average marks. At this stage I was getting an estimated TER (UAI) of 70.

Not much has changed, only that now I run a study group after school for 2-3 hrs which really isn't enough for me, over the holidays I have come to my senses and realised that I am capable of achieving a UAI of 99+ (I am currently on a 94 and haven't done mid-year exams).

The most important thing you can do is not to be discourged by your shit marks, I turned by 30% first in economics into a 80% second essay and I hope to turn that into a 85% mid-year exam.

Try studying, this is the first time I have ever studying and fuck it feels good. 100%s are not only for the smart kids, when you start putting in the time revising your syllabus I assure that you can do anything unless there is some learning difficulty (I blame my ADD :).)

The only limiations in your UAI results is your effort.

cs01001

HSC

darkwolfzx said:
sif its impossible to get 90+ uai. My mother always taunted me every day last year, saying I would never make it into uni. I just ignored her and put my head down. I got 85.45 in the end. Its up to you in the end.
Sounds just like my sister <30 UAI. :p

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Studentleader said:
Med students
med students are fuckwits

EDIT: nah just kidding. btw i don't think med students would care anymore than anyone else in uni especially since everyone assumes that they just got a high UAI.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Road Runner said:
ok guys, heres the thing.

my goal was to get exactly 90 UAI.

now i just feel like I won't get it......I'm getting alright results but...i dunno I just feel like its all too much.

doing pretty good at the moment up until the half yearlies which I know i didnt do as good as i wanted to. getting the results when i come back to school.

I guess i'll feel more confident if i manage to maintain my high rankings or get in the 80's for my results...

Any thoughts on this? Any advice on what I can do to feel more confident like I did at the start of year 12?Because at the moment, my confidence lvls are really low.
Look at the syllabus, test yourself every day. Write a response to a syllabus dot point as if it was a question.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
melanieeeee. said:
med students are fuckwits

EDIT: nah just kidding. btw i don't think med students would care anymore than anyone else in uni especially since everyone assumes that they just got a high UAI.
They just wanna show it off and tease eachother because they only got in due to high UMAT marks

benji6667

HSC
i think ive given up hope for a 90+ UAI becuase of these holidays

i'm ranked in the upper echolons of most of my classes, but ive become arrogant over the holidays *probably becuase im not first in chem*, and havn't studied much since the exams
now i feel like crap cuz ive avoided study for 2 weeks, guh why did i make such a mistake
im hopeing for something above 85 now, but ill continue to work hard

thats my life story :p

justmeme

HSC
N/A
i need 98.95 or 95.30 for the courses i want to do, but tbh i dont see myself getting that high unless by some miracle i begin studying towards the end of the year,
at the moment i think im headed towards high 80's, ill be disappointed if i dont get in the 90's though..

lack of effort ftw!

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
i only need 75 for secondary teaching at UNE, so anything over that is a bonus
im ranked first in everything so far, and that probably wont change after half yearlies, so, whatev

i haven't studied much these holidays but i have done 3/4 of my history x project and made a big dint in my PIP, so, i think that balances out.

tambourine

HSC
i think i'm going to try really really hard this term :) and next term lol..wow thats all that there is left...and then the HSC!!!....i've been doing well up to now..i hope it continues :)

HSC

HKHSCstudent said:
I'm from Perth as well, so I could perhaps help as well.

As for cutoffs, it really does depend on what uni you want. If you want UWA, then the same standards as UNSW/USyd apply. (perhaps slightly less, but only marginally)

If you want Murdoch/Curtin, then it won't be hard really. Only problem is that the cutoffs tend to fluctuate i.e. Public Policy and Management at Murdoch went from 62-86 in one year. Seriously.

If you want ECU, just walk in. Its pretty much SuperTafe, except for WAAPA (Academy of Performing Arts)

Remember that UAI and TER ranks are of the same value. So a 70 UAI is the same as a 70 TER.

Notre Dame, is more based on who you are and your interest in the course then your TER/UAI.

If you want any more details, PM me. Otherwise, studentleader should prove helpful.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)