Global Village - The Castle (1 Viewer)

nathan_pulbrook

HSC
if the ignorance is local not global then a prominent negative feature of the globalization is that the airport is expanding and con and trace actually venturing to another country or rather having the ability to travel internationally... the issue that arises here isn't a local one rather that of not being able to procure the required knowledge on a topic before making a decision. that isn't a problem of ignorance, con and trace have different socio-economic backgrounds and cultures yet they marry and travel overseas, something deemed remarkable by the Kerrigans. why is it remarkable? because when trace's parents were growing up there wasn't the capacity or the need or even the interest in travelling, it just didn't happen. so the people globalising needed to think about that and inform the community of different social effects globalising would have before going in and disrupting the flow of life...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It is a local negative. The parents are ignorant of the global because they were raised in the local. If they were to embrace the global, they would gain this knowledge. Hence, global knowledge is a benefit of the global.

nathan_pulbrook

HSC
and the fact that socially it was impossible for people to raise children that could be culturally accepting isn't a problem concerning the unplanned nature of globalisation? Global negative

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's more a local negative in the fact that they cannot react to the unplanned global, because they are self-contained in the local. Hence, even in unplanned conditions it is still local ignorance, or at the very least, unawareness of the global that causes this.

nathan_pulbrook

HSC
So what you are saying is that at the very least the problem is due to a lack of education? If I recall educating people isn't a local issue it's a national one and national education is directly determined by the increasing effects of globalisation and the multiplying global village.. the problem therefore is either with TNCs for not informing governments well enough or its a national problem by not embracing the global village in a diverse way. By no stretch is the problem caused on a local level.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Broader education comes from the national and global level. If you remain self-contained in the local, you do not experience this. Hence, the problem is not necessarily caused by the local, but it is due to staying in the local that it occurs.

nrb93

HSC
hi, i have an upcoming in-class essay based on the positive, negatives of the global village (and The Castle) and how it is 'ultimately rewarding (for the individual?)'. I seem to have a LOT of info supporting the negatives and am having difficulty with the positives and how it is ultimately rewarding...For me there is little interaction between the Kerrigans and the G.V (besides the Airlink airport or w/e), maybe im blind ?

So any brief ideas/starters for the positives of the Global Village and how it is ultimately rewarding within The Castle would be appreciated.
Cheers

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
hi, i have an upcoming in-class essay based on the positive, negatives of the global village (and The Castle) and how it is 'ultimately rewarding (for the individual?)'. I seem to have a LOT of info supporting the negatives and am having difficulty with the positives and how it is ultimately rewarding...For me there is little interaction between the Kerrigans and the G.V (besides the Airlink airport or w/e), maybe im blind ?

So any brief ideas/starters for the positives of the Global Village and how it is ultimately rewarding within The Castle would be appreciated.
Cheers
The powerlines provide electricity

The airline so close makes it easy for the daughter to go on holidays

Many of the Kerrigans neighbours are from overseas/foreigners

Television; “The only thing dad like’s more than Hey Hey It’s Saturday, is The Best of Hey Hey It’s Saturday

And some stuff I've probably posted before, both pos and neg:

“Can you quit pretending to be on my side” – Municipal Office

“When one of us comes back from overseas, it’s only a quick walk home” + global presents – Sal

This is an example of the individual. Of how the individual has the guts to shove it right up those people who think they can stand on top of you.” - Darrell

When Darrell is on the phone, and he cannot hear the caller on the other end – plane

Greece => Con or Lebanon => Farouk – Global in the community

Non-digenic Australian sound effects at start => local

Aeroplane and house juxtaposed in the same shot. Close-up on “International”

“The only thing dad like’s more than Hey Hey It’s Saturday, is The Best of Hey Hey It’s Saturday” - Narrator

Bonny Doon => power lines in montage

“You can’t buy what I’ve got” - Darrell

A melancholy non-digenic guitar, combined with pan shots of photographic memories

Laurie - global. Late, he sits at the Kerrigan family dinner table & photos of him appear in house

Mise en scene of family table – local

“Can you move the Camira. I need to get the Torana out, so I can get to the commodore” – Darrell

House built on a lead landfill – global dangers

“Their acquiring it compolsolory [sic]” - Darrell

“Federal, I just do small stuff” “I’m not qualified” – Dennis (Lawyer)

Darrell values the individual => Thanks his wife for cooking

Bonny Doon => “Bet they don’t have places like this in Thailand”

In Beirut; planes fly overhead; drop bombs. I like these planes” Farouk, a global refugee

“You know why they get there way. Cause people don’t stand up to them” Darrell

The Castle => worth defending

Global steals land from Darrell, like Mabo

Low angle on Judge & High Court. Juxtaposed. Low angle on Darrell when he wins.

Darrell interacts well with local policeman, but not global law.

Cheaper to pull down local houses than fill in quarry. Darrell is bribed. Global => Profits

Darrell (individual) => loses. Community only wins when they join forces with the global (Laurie)

“It’s not a house (global) it’s a home (local) - Darrell

nrb93

HSC
Thank you very much Absolutezero :) when it comes to the positives - with television, are they really interacting with the Global Village ? Sure they're using a tv (global technology) but it seems they are only watching 'local'/Australian shows, or am i overlooking/thinking the point ? Thanks heaps again :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Thank you very much Absolutezero :) when it comes to the positives - with television, are they really interacting with the Global Village ? Sure they're using a tv (global technology) but it seems they are only watching 'local'/Australian shows, or am i overlooking/thinking the point ? Thanks heaps again :)
Television is a benefit of the global, and it shows the interaction of the local and the global. The show is produced on a national level so it can be used to argue either.

It is interesting to note though, that in the internationally released version of the film, the line was changed to: "The only thing dad like’s more than Funniest Home Videos, is The Best of Funniest Home Videos". Particularly relevant, because you can then look at the film on a meta level, examining the local and global forces at work in the releasing of the film. Additionally, as well as the fact that Funniest Home Videos (while the Australian version is local) is derrived from a foreign (USA) version.

SuperSaiyan

HSC
so im doing my speech too, about the negative/positive aspects of the global village and relationship between local and global issues can anyone help me with this ? im using wall-e as a related text for the negative aspects and i just need 1 more for positive ! any suggestions ? has anyone got notes for wall-e ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)