Glucose, Sucrose and Polysaccharides. (1 Viewer)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Ok, we know what they are. But to what extent to we need to know, diagram-wise?

I'm quite sure knowing the planar ring structure is needed, but what about the real geometrical structure?

Also, is it enough to be able to identify glycogen, starch and cellulose as polysaccharides? Do we have to know how to draw them? (Well, we do need to know cellulose for POM)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
i have no idea what the syllabus is for hsc chem

but i would think it would only be important to identify how certain carbohydrates can sometimes be capable of hydrogen bonding to other carbohydrates- but this would be for structural purposes (like in trees) or to conserve space and still have a high amount of glucose lets say...either way you would have to identify the aromatic carbon in the ring

HSC
we don't need to draw them, i am 100% sure of that. i really don't think we'd be asked to identify them either. but drawing is definetely not going to be asked as this chemistry syllabus isn't the real chemistry and it hasn't been asked in hsc (last 4 years). i am pretty sure we don't need to draw glucose either.

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
we don't need to draw them, just describe them relative to eachother, e.g starch has more branches than cellulose etc....

azza_3761

HSC
We do need to know how to compare the structures of organic compounds including, monosaccharides and starch but we don't kneed to know the other polysaccharides

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)