God vs Human story (1 Viewer)

smilygal

are there any christians doing biology that are finding some of the concepts hard to learn due 2 ur religion, plz give me sum hints....

Originally posted by smilygal
are there any christians doing biology that are finding some of the concepts hard to learn due 2 ur religion, plz give me sum hints....
Going to a catholic school, and beginning each biology lesson with a prayer.. it's hard to get rid of the "Chrisitan" viewpoint in Biology class.. this is the thing that frustrates me most!
My biology is a STRONG follower of his faith, and it drives me crazy that he doesn't teach biology SCIENTIFICALLY!
When i walk into any science subject, I want to be able to take upon an objective view and disregard God for that one hour period--they aren't going to test me on how God created the world (they don't even do that in SOR!), and so, it doesn't help to have a bio teacher that preaches the bible at every opportunity.

Personally, i'm not christian,but I DO have specific beliefs that do not necessarily fit in with what we learn in bio, but like I said, when i walk into that class, in only think scientifically.

Lobster

My Bio teacher is so funny. She doesn't say that God doesn't exist as not to offend ppl she just makes it seem like these ppl are ignorant and don't look at the facts.

Basically this debate cannot be won (even though i do believe in God)

Man cannot prove any theories of creation and cannot prove any theories that say otherwise.

Sure enough we have our Bibles that show the word of God, yet remember words on paper isn't Jesus walking on water

Benrandall

being christian i have found that it is important to learn all the facts on evolution, science etc because otherwise you are ignorant when your friends come and ask why i believe ingod. basically you should have all the facts...

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
In about the last year or so i have kind of gotten over the whole god thing and i guess technically i am an athiest now, but before then as i was in the same position, ie catholic schools teaching you about the big bang etc. Our teachers always got around if being all diplomatic and saying things like 'well something had to cause the mass of energy that was the big bang to exist, maybe that was god' or 'maybe god is energy.' I dont think creationism and evolution are mutually exclusive, if you believe in a god, then technically they could both exist at once.

Basil84

hmmm

I go to a christian school (protestant) and we initially reminded ourselves of the true facts of creation, then went ahead to look at evolution, and along the way, saw how many holes were in the evolution theory, we laughed along the way, to think that people think christians are ignorant, and now looking at thr evolution theory, they themselves are proving themselves wrong. The moth theory that changed colour, was a set up. And the embryology, they were sketches. Have you seen the real embryos?? No organism looks the same!

mariah

well...

Our bio teacher does beleive in god n everytin however, she still beleives in evolution and dat we came from apes...personally I tink dats crap, because theres no way that our intelligence came from AN APE?!?! :eek: seriosuly, n wat about our appearance?!! I seriosuly dun tink dat we look like apes, walk like em, even eat like em?! well...cept for my bro :p so yeh to sum up.....
GOD RULZ! :cool:

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
HSC
Guys did you actaully study the human story? You look at a lemur, then a oranutan then a chimp, then an Australipithious Afenesis, then at a Homo Habilis, then a homo sapian skeleton and if you cant see the evolutionary process i think you need to get your eyes tested.
Basil, are you like a big conspiracy theorist and think that all these fossils were planted there or do you just not see the link? Also, there are millions of other examples of evoltion beside the moths, i mean what about the finches in the gallopogas islands? and what about bacterias that become reistant to anti-biotics? do you think that god created heaps of species of finches that are only a tiny bit different? do you think that the bacteria becomes resistant be magic?
You mention all the holes in the theory of evolution, do you mean Darwins theory? Cause scientist accept it has flaws (the punctuated equilibrian stuff) but the general ideas still right, i think.
Sorry if i have written to much or sound patronizing, its just it seems amazing that your guys could have studdied the same topic as me and thought that it wasnt right. I guess you just have really strong faith.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
HSC
Sorry to post again, i am sure you are all thinking i have crapped on enough, but Maria, have you ever been to the zoo and watched monkies, particulalry chimps (who we sure so much DNA with)? The way they interact with each other is what got me, its like they are these really stonned furry people, wondering around touching each other, rubbing each others backs, picking there noses (that was the coolest thing i ever saw, a chimp pick its nose)

Wishful Thinkin

The topic is full of theories which is somehow supported by inconclusive evidence... our Bio co-ordinator is a believer in the whole Human Story thing so she pretty much made the teachers 'preach' it to get converts... ha she didn't get me!

The whole topic is fustrating, learning all the hominids, learning how to SPELL the hominids, remembering cranial capacity and all the other shit just made me hate the topic.

Well, my bio teacher is catholic.... gosh prayer, stories about how young people should drink alcohol (mistress lilith!!), not to have sex before marriage... and the list goes on...

-----------------------------------------
}{@v @ }{@gv C ??

Lazy

Old Bastard
HSC
Go have a look at this thread, it might be a little deep for some of you though. Basil and mariah i dont recommend you look, it might offend your sensibilities :)

http://hsc.ozlpn.com/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2037&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Oh btw, darwinism (Evolution over creationism) does not proove that god dosent exist, despite prooving the bible wrong (6 day creation of the earth, creating man in his own image). Some people believe that god created man to evole.

Charles kingsley (friend of Darwin and also a churchman) summed it up well:

"It is just as noble to believe He created forms capable of self-development"

Anyway have a look at that thread :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)