Going for a Portfolio Interview (1 Viewer)

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
so, many of the courses that i'm applying for next year are requiring me to go for an interview with my portfolio. and many of them are asking for an artist statement "that describes your work and outlines your artistic and educational objectives". what things should i mention???

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
and also what sort of things should i mention in answering:

a) provide a general summary of your creative/artistic experience

b) list visual arts areas in which you have had some experience either as a part of your previous studies (e.g. HSC, TAFE or University)

for (b) they've left like a whole page!!! what sorta things should i mention in that? i did a course at the national art school that they offered for hsc students, where should i mention that?

HSC
N/A
irnie said:
so, many of the courses that i'm applying for next year are requiring me to go for an interview with my portfolio. and many of them are asking for an artist statement "that describes your work and outlines your artistic and educational objectives". what things should i mention???
Describing your work, well, only you can really do this. I guess it helps if you've already formulated your own destinct style, but I guess most people don't do this till later on.

I'd say, just talk about your practice, the process you go through, what subjects and concepts are of interest to you.... how you communicate your ideas.

For the second part, it's just asking what you're aiming for I guess.... your intentions with your work, your goals within your education.

HSC
N/A
irnie said:
and also what sort of things should i mention in answering:

a) provide a general summary of your creative/artistic experience

b) list visual arts areas in which you have had some experience either as a part of your previous studies (e.g. HSC, TAFE or University)

for (b) they've left like a whole page!!! what sorta things should i mention in that? i did a course at the national art school that they offered for hsc students, where should i mention that?
a) I guess this furthers on into how you work.... and flows straight into question b

b) Mention the NAS course yes, with reference to what studio you worked in. Mention what form your BOW was in, and what main forms you've been working through throughout years 11-12. Any short courses you've done outside of school, mention those. Maybe you've done work experience in a design studio or something? Anything like that. :)

soso

HSC
N/A
Try this book

http://www.hi.com.au/folio/

Chapter 5 in this books gives good advice on how to prepare for tertiary entrance. It offers sample questions, shows you how to do a role play as practise for the da. Information is based on research of art schools also advice on how to prepare your portfolio and how to cut window mounts. Try it out

misery

Unspeakable
HSC
Hey this is for Sydney College of Arts?

That applicant statement drove me crazy.. I spose it really is my last resort, the UAI 80 thing.

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
yeah it was for sydney college of the arts... i HATED, despised that application staement... there was too much to mention and i tried to incorporate it all... i just hope it wasnt too kitchen sink style. also i have to write bits for university of wollongong and stuff. misery, what kinda thing did you write? i posted mine yesterday.

nookie

HSC
uh oh...i put uts & cofa for my preferences, and 'if' i get in..will i need to show a portfolio? i don't have a proper one...what about VAPDs? i put a lot of my drawings in there!

hipPo3

HSC
my Portfolio sux0rs .. but im planing to draw heaps after the HSC if they do ask for one .. show my spectacular works in VAPD form :D

soso

HSC
N/A
BOW"s are being sent back can interviews be far away?

soso

HSC
N/A
So how are you going to prepare? Try ;ookomg in the thread going for a portfolio interview a look

soso

HSC
N/A
Sorry irnie, I forgot what thread I was in. Obviously I am stressed out even typing like a drunk. No offense intended

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
its all good....

on another note, some of my works i digitally enhanced before sending in the application... doesnt constitute fraud does it? haha

its still my work...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)