Going insane!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Rockchic

College Kid
HSC
I would not have a clue what to do for my major work and everything i do the teacher says is crap and i feel very incompetent... its like everything i do just isn't hsc level ra ra ra!!! i am getting my inspiration from a book called "The Princess Bride." i love that book and i wanted to base my inspiration on it. i'm doing my own portrayal of the theme "life is not fair" that one see in parts through this book... but everything i think about just isn't want i want. i kinda feel like im behind a barrier that i can't get over, and behind this barrier is flowing good ideas exactly what i want but its just not happening for me... sigh!!

What am i to do?

Abbeygale

HSC
Well, if I were you I'd stop talking to your teacher. Someone will probably come along with better advice than that, but thats what I would do.

I love that book. The technique of the fake abridgement/annotation is fantastic.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
my teacher never made me pass my assignments

it was always 7/15

But despite all

I got E4 = 46/50.

Motivated yet?

Oh and I did it about my shitty relationship with my parents

(except related it to God & Adam and canonical shit)

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Yeah, don't listen/talk to your teacher if the bastard keeps telling you that.
i don't want to sound stuck up but we have an excellent english teacher for ours and she's always really encouraging to us about everything. whenever i moan to her that i don't know what to do she just tells me to write and then when i do write she reads it, tells me whats good about it and whats bad about it so i can go back and rewrite it and make it better.
i'm soooo glad to have Mrs D! she's brilliant!
So... just keep trying, i know exactly how you feel, you just have to keep trying, just keep writing, thats what i keep doing, even if i think its absolute shit, i just keep going.

Spritza

HSC
You can also talk with your fellow class mates ^_^ they can offer you good ideas. You can also talk to people outside of school and see if they can have some imput.

Dont feel bad about it, we are all in the same boat. I am still a long way off and mine so far aint looking too good, but it will work out :)

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Ummmmm if your teacher is the fucked up type of teacher who doesn't know shit and just keeps telling you it's bad because she doesn't have anything else to say...kick her ass and never talk to her again. But as much as people like to say to each other "Even if it's absolute shit, just keep on writing!", i would just like to point out that sometimes...when something's absolute shit, even if you keep on writing...it'll just build up into a bigger pile of shit. The key is to really know whether your concept will work or not. So talk to a couple of teachers, talk to friends, talk to even teachers from other faculties. Ring up HSC helplines and ask those people. Just get some opinions on whether your work will work or not. IF most people says its good, and only a few says its not good, then you should just keep writing and any shitty parts will eventually be gone. If most people says its not going to work, i would strongly suggest you revise your idea and how you plan to communicate it.
Personally, my teacher is excellent. She's very encouraging and she definitely wants us to keep writing, and when we have something more complete, she can go through with us and pick out the crap parts.
But she has also made it very clear that if it won't work...she will tell us so very bluntly and we must listen to her advice because she knows what she's on about...being senior marker and all. So while your bastard of a teacher may not be the best source of advice, i wouldn't just discount EVERYTHING he says. Let's all remember. Praise doesn't get us anywhere. Criticism is what makes our works better.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
Rockchic said:
I would not have a clue what to do for my major work and everything i do the teacher says is crap and i feel very incompetent... its like everything i do just isn't hsc level ra ra ra!!! i am getting my inspiration from a book called "The Princess Bride." i love that book and i wanted to base my inspiration on it. i'm doing my own portrayal of the theme "life is not fair" that one see in parts through this book... but everything i think about just isn't want i want. i kinda feel like im behind a barrier that i can't get over, and behind this barrier is flowing good ideas exactly what i want but its just not happening for me... sigh!!

What am i to do?
oh geez.. i swear.. i kinda got that idea when i first told my idea to my teacher, but then i went away from her for a while and wrote her a few pages and just got her to read it.. now shes throwing ideas at me like theres no tomorrow.
let your teacher know that THIS is what you want to do, this is what you feel passionate about and then go for it. Even if she doesnt like it you can get another teacher/mentor to proof read it for you. Its your work, not hers. Write about what you want, not what others want you to write about.

HSC
N/A
PerfectByNature said:
i'm soooo glad to have Mrs D! she's brilliant!
Far out, I had a brilliant (mother-duck-esque) Mrs D as well.

Your school doesn't happen to be around Hornsby, does it? *quizzical look*

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Far out, I had a brilliant (mother-duck-esque) Mrs D as well.

Your school doesn't happen to be around Hornsby, does it? *quizzical look*
Nope... we're near the coast, close to Byron Bay. in a teeny tiny town... in a galaxy far far away...
haha...

But today, we just had a class with her then and she gaves us all big hugs cos we're really getting somewhere. she tells us what is wrong with our stuff, like if we're going off on a tangent but she does it in a supportive way that really makes us want to keep going and not just give up and crul up and die on the floor.
she told me that she thought i was going off away but i told her that it would be connected later so she said that it'd be ok.
so just keep trying. i'm sure everyone here on BoS would be happy to give you constructive criticism...

Last edited:

cheekyT

hey im stressing out heaps about my major project too! ive seen people with full on drafts and i hav like nothing!

cheekyT

hey yes! i am inspired...everytime i get a mark back im like "oh well there goes getting a good final result!"

HSC
N/A
Try to stay cool guys - you have about 3 or 4 milestones in EE2

1) Get your concept - and most of you have done this by now, well done!

2) Write your full first draft - this was one of the hardest things for me last year. Just get the word count up, and finish your story to get a feel for where it's going.

3) Finish your full or almost-full reworking. Some of you may not have to do this, but for everyone else - THIS is where you do the major editing to make your first draft into a major work. I am sure I speak for 99% of the 04's when I say that your first full draft BARELY resembles the finished product. You'll do a LOT of cutting and changing in your first full reworking - so this is why freaking out over your first full draft is unceccessary :)

4) Final polish: When you finally get here, it's just a matter of doing touch ups here and there till you're satisfied with it. :)

Just keep on working. As you can see, it's not a good idea to get too caught up early on in the process, because some things (like the reworking) are going to take a pretty long time. If you're stuck on your first full draft, just write and don't think - you really don't have a lot of time to spend on it. Even if the writing's bad, it's a platform from which you can work up from, as opposed to trying to work from scratch, you know? :)

Best wishes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)