Going into math EXT 2 (1 Viewer)

jklol

HSC
Hi all,
I'm planning on doing mathematics extension 2 next term, im just wondering what I can do now to prepare for it, or even just some tips to survive the course.

Regards

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Tutors and past papers. Do lots of questions.

yanujw

HSC
If you're just starting it, don't dive right into papers and questions -try and learn from the textbook progressively. Extension 2 is a hard subject to try and learn independently, so if you want to save time when the term starts I reccomend learning the Extension 1 course by yourself instead.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're just starting it, don't dive right into papers and questions -try and learn from the textbook progressively. Extension 2 is a hard subject to try and learn independently, so if you want to save time when the term starts I reccomend learning the Extension 1 course by yourself instead.
True, do what he says if you don't go to tutor. I just went under the assumption that 95% of people doing 4u go tutor.

osciggyz

HSC
Try to learn and familiarise yourself with the concepts that are taught and relevant in term one. Thats what I did and it proved effective for me.

A1La5

HSC
I would start looking at the Mathematics Extension 1 Course if you haven't, because the two courses can be interrelated depending on the topic.

The 3U Vectors course is good background knowledge walking into the 4U course, and there isn't much difference between the two (i.e you still do things like Dot Product, Geometric Proofs, etc..) except in 4U you also look into things like the vector equation of a line or a sphere. Integration is another good example of where the two courses are interrelated. The 4U Integration Course expands on the 3U Integration Course, with topics such as Integration by Parts and Recurrence Relations being assessed in the 4U course. However, in 4U you also do topics such as Integration By Substitution, etc..

Otherwise, I'd start with the Complex Numbers topic (as that is in most cases the first topic done), but take it slow if a concept doesn't stick right away. You still have your HSC year ahead of you, meaning there's an abyss of time to develop and master your understanding on particular topics. 4U was a slow start for me (coming from someone with mediocre marks for the Prelim Extension 1 course), but over the course of this year I feel like I've come to terms with the subject.

Luke322

HSC
You're lucky and unlucky; 4u syllabus has become quite a bit easier but that means the scaling has gotten a bit worse. But preparing for it requires the same technique; first, develop your understanding through reading various notes and textbooks, then just do as many questions from as many past papers as you can until you've done everything you can find.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Get a couple of Maths Ext 2 textbooks, and read up. Do a bit of self-study. Doesn't matter if at first you understand only 17% of what you read. If you read again, this will improve to 23.75%.

tito981

HSC
If you can self teach complex number (both chapters) and be fairly competent at it, you can probably self teach the whole syllabus. Also another tip, eddie woo has some beast videos, so whenever your stuck you can just watch some of his vids.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
There's some free resources. The Howard's textbook is completely free and covers the whole MX2 syllabus and is regularly updated. They are great in my opinion and I used it to get a good understanding of the concepts, its not the best but it was in good conjuction with the Cambridge Ext 2 book. The Howard 1000 revision problems are also great to get as well. Eddie Woo as Tito said is also great in teaching MX2 as you would expect. If you could afford it, I'm sure tutoring would benefit you a lot especially in a subject with more demanding concepts. MX2 becomes slowly more feasible as you start to grasp the concepts and then after you've understood it, it just becomes routine after practicing it countlessly. I just monitor my progress through seeing how well I do when doing HSC ext 2 problems and if I'm taking extremely long but get the answer then I just practice more or if I'm just failing the questions, i go back to trying to understand it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)