Going on Exchange on 3rd year (1 Viewer)

jiey2k

JEAHHH BOIIIII
HSC
Hi, sorry for this question I'm just making a decision.

If my course is 3 years, would it be sensible in going on an exchange program for 1 semester on my 3rd year?? What would happen if I do, the repurcusions on my degree in macquarie university.

Would i still need to do my core units at macquarie university (the compulsory ones)?

Thanks guys!

edit: is it somehow possible to go on exchange this second semester?? probably not as i checked the website and it didnt have a period for semester 2 2010

Last edited:
HSC
Hi, sorry for this question I'm just making a decision.

If my course is 3 years, would it be sensible in going on an exchange program for 1 semester on my 3rd year?? What would happen if I do, the repurcusions on my degree in macquarie university.

Would i still need to do my core units at macquarie university (the compulsory ones)?

Thanks guys!

edit: is it somehow possible to go on exchange this second semester?? probably not as i checked the website and it didnt have a period for semester 2 2010
Is exchange a compulsory part of your degree? Because a friend of mine has exchange as compulsory and so she's going to exchange next year on her third (i.e. final year) and it's okay.

As for units-wise, I think you have to do lots of research on the uni you intended to go to especially if you have core units so you would have to find a corresponding one and after you come back you would ask for exemption (or whatever it is). But I mean you can also choose to do your electives so that would be less pressure on you and may be more fun.

jiey2k

JEAHHH BOIIIII
HSC
Thanks for replying

And yeh ud think doing international communication it'd be compulsory but it isnt and i missed out my chance.. i was doing a more thorough search through mq site and found

Bachelor of International Communication: It is strongly recommended that BIC students undertake exchange in the first semester of their 2nd year of studies at Macquarie. Due to the BIC's strict third year requirements, it is extremely difficult for BIC students to go on exchange in their third year without delaying their graduation.

Guess ill wait till post grad

Peartie

HSC
you just have to remember: YOU HAVE TO DO AT LEAST 50% OF EACH YEARS STUDY AT MACQUARIE (or it might just be 50% of third year.....either way......check it)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thanks for replying

And yeh ud think doing international communication it'd be compulsory but it isnt and i missed out my chance.. i was doing a more thorough search through mq site and found

Bachelor of International Communication: It is strongly recommended that BIC students undertake exchange in the first semester of their 2nd year of studies at Macquarie. Due to the BIC's strict third year requirements, it is extremely difficult for BIC students to go on exchange in their third year without delaying their graduation.

Guess ill wait till post grad
Or you could just graduate later? :S

jiey2k

JEAHHH BOIIIII
HSC
^This.

You've got the opportunity to get a tonne of money from MQ and OS-HELP to go overseas. I'd take it, imo.
mmhmm thanks guys

If I go 1st semester in my 3rd year, and i come back second semester and do my units normally at Macquarie do they count towards anything? Would I accumulate those credit points or do i need to redo the whole year in a diff year?

sorry for asking these dumb questions, as i'm probably going to go next year.

theaussieinhk

HSC
Hi Buddy,

I have already gone on exchange in my 2nd year, 1st semester. I will be going again on exchange next semester (which will also my last semester at uni). I also have a graduate job secured next year.

My recommendation is based on - if you think you can get a graduate position and assuming you want to graduate asap.

Recommendation 1: You don't think you can get a graduate position

- Go on exchange in 2nd semester and stay back at uni for 1 more semester. Spend that 1 extra year to build work experience and extra curricular activity because finding a graduate position is hard.

Recommendation 2: You think you can get a graduate position

- Then you have the luxury to choose to graduate early (don't go on exchange) or to graduate later (go on exchange)

Personally, exchange was the best 6 months of my life at uni and I would delay my graduation for that experience. Once you start work, it will be much harder to take long trips overseas and going as a student (or once you start work) will be different. We have so much time in our life to work.

Either way, research the subjects at the university you want to attend, get their unit outlines and ask the exemptions office if it will be approved for a Macquarie equivalent.

Hope it helps,

Cheers

RohanZ

Pan fried Steak
HSC
I'm currently a 2nd year student, doing a 4 year degree. Just wondering if it'd be terribly difficult to go on exchange at the start of my 4th year (1st sem)?
I'm really keen for it and reckon the experience would definitely be worth the cost.

theaussieinhk

HSC
I'm currently a 2nd year student, doing a 4 year degree. Just wondering if it'd be terribly difficult to go on exchange at the start of my 4th year (1st sem)?
I'm really keen for it and reckon the experience would definitely be worth the cost.
If your studying commerce related degree keep in mind

Internships - most open in August, so you want to be here for interviews.

Graduate Programs - most open in Feb/March.

So avoid going on exchange in 3rd year (2nd semester) and 4th year (1st semester).

I think going on exchange in your 3rd year (1st semester) is the best, or 4th year (2nd semester) if you can arrange the subjects correctly to graduate on time. If you have heaps of money go twice during those times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)