Going through the trials.... (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
After getting back some trial exams and going through some of them, who gets really frustrated for not getting some easy questions?

For me, when we went through some of the science trial exams I felt really annoyed with myself that I could have gotten more marks if I didn't decide to omit some particular information which I didn't believe was necessary at the time. Also, we worked through this year's CSSA Mathematics Extension 2 trial paper at tutor and the answers to the "harder" questions makes the paper look so easy, yet we never thought of it under exam conditions, which was really frustrating. We even managed to work through the entire paper (+explanations from teacher) in a lot less than 3 hours....
The teachers don't make it any better for us either. They always criticise us. They say stuff like "It was INEXCUSIBLE to have lost any marks in this question!!!", "There should be no reason why shouldn't get full marks for this", "I was very disappointed that nobody got full marks for this test." or "If you got that question wrong, hold the paper above your head and hit yourself like this!!!"
(yes, they actually do say these things....lol)

Last edited:

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
well the best way to learn is by making mistakes.

i pretty much fked up my maths trial paper and it will take several weeks before i have recovered enough to look over my mistakes...but when that time comes im sure ill learn alot from them.

biggie walls

HSC
Alot of subjects and questions within subjects (short-answer) are marked by referencing key words: i.e. You can write a short paragraph - and even if u put in irrelevant stuff, aslong as you have got the key words/sentences for the number of marks.. you will get the marks - So if you're thinking of putting something in DONT LEAVE IT OUT - you will not get marked down for having a go.
(NB: this does not apply to essays and such which require a sustained thesis)

That sucks how they are giving you hard criticizm - only thing you can do is to make a note of your weaknesses and how you can avoid repeating them in the future..

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
That is just the nature of exams. In hindsight many people can say that they knew that answer or could do better if they did the paper again, that is one of the points for having trials to allow students to see how they can answer questions under the clock and in exam conditions becoming as many teachers say 'a wake up call' and 'excellent practice for the HSC'.

We can all understand you be frustrated by leaving out questions or not doing the paper to your follow potential but again that is the nature of the trials. Let them serve as your wake up call, now you know how well you work under exam conditions it is up to you to improve it through coming past paper etc under exam conditions, making notes and most of all learning from your mistakes.

Although I completely understand why you are frustrated you can't dwell on the marks for to long with the HSC less then two months away you need to pick yourself on and look forward to the next challenge. Good Luck!

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
DeathB4Life said:
well the best way to learn is by making mistakes.
This is definately correct. Going through your mistakes and actually learning from them is all part of the experience and the slow but progressive journey to the top. :)

Teachers are there to guide you, and perhaps if they are a little confronting towards the whole class then it isn't such a bad thing. It might even get you wanting to work harder so that you don't make the same mistake again. Though if a teacher were to single you out unfairly, or not empathically and were to have you feeling worse bout yourself and not feeling that there is a solution to the problem, then that could be disastrous to your HSC Campaign completely.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
After getting back some trial exams and going through some of them, who gets really frustrated for not getting some easy questions?

For me, when we went through some of the science trial exams I felt really annoyed with myself that I could have gotten more marks if I didn't decide to omit some particular information which I didn't believe was necessary at the time. Also, we worked through this year's CSSA Mathematics Extension 2 trial paper at tutor and the answers to the "harder" questions makes the paper look so easy, yet we never thought of it under exam conditions, which was really frustrating. We even managed to work through the entire paper (+explanations from teacher) in a lot less than 3 hours....
The teachers don't make it any better for us either. They always criticise us. They say stuff like "It was INEXCUSIBLE to have lost any marks in this question!!!", "There should be no reason why shouldn't get full marks for this", "I was very disappointed that nobody got full marks for this test." or "If you got that question wrong, hold the paper above your head and hit yourself like this!!!"
(yes, they actually do say these things....lol)
I experienced similar thoughts especially with my maths and science exams. There were many marks that I could have got but they just didn't come to my mind at the time that I was sitting the exams. But I guess we now know what it's like to sit through a series of HSC-like exams with exams even having the same format to the final exams. It's a time to learn from our mistakes and work to improve for the HSC.

monroeville

HSC
meh i just think its unfair that our futures depend on the results we get from one stupid exam block its unfair

adrenaline rush

Schoolies 1-18/Dec/06
HSC
monroeville said:
meh i just think its unfair that our futures depend on the results we get from one stupid exam block its unfair
No. I learnt my lesson during the School Cert. Try and beat getting 89 for science, history and maths. I was completely shattered because i was over school at the time, finished early and didn't check over any paper once. So freaking close. :burn:

vojnik

HSC
monroeville said:
Futures? You take the HSC waaay too seriously...

HSC <> Life

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
^^ I like your looking for the thread here to post up your trial ranks and results. :) Well done though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)