Going to geography????? (1 Viewer)

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
I am currently in year 11, and thinking of swaping from Chemistry to geography. I really don't like chemistry, and don't think that i will go well in it, and with the teacher we have well...... not important right now. but im not really sure how i will go in geography, i went really well in the SC but that doesent really count, and it was a fluke anyways.
I have missed out on a term of work (which means a third of it), and i was wondering how possible it would be to catch up and still get a good mark in the end. I do have the easter holidays to learn it but i want to know if it would be possible, or am i wasting my time????

Thanx

astron

HSC
N/A
Well, how well you will go in geo depends on your exam mark.

The geo exam is:

15m/c
I think 20 marks short answer

The above two are based upon skills, so there's less study to do there.

Then there are three essays.

So your study is based around writing essays to the syllabus dot points. It isnt too difficult.

Assessment tasks however will usually involve a research project. If you are joining now, your Senior Geography project must be done.

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Yeah i decided to swap.
I had a double lesson of it last friday, and i basically sat there for 2 periods with a confused look on my face. lol
Hmmmmmm we got the assessment notification for the SGP as well, not sure wat my topic is going to be tho. Any ideas, im assuming you did geography what did you do, (sorry if im assuming wrong).

mjor

essays

if you choose geography over chemistry, understand you will have to be very good at writing a lot fast. 3 essays in the exam means you have to be great at english and have fast handwriting (start practisng early)

mjor

great at english not as in HSC english analyse text BS, great at english as in can write fast, coherently and precisely.

bubblette

geography's pretty easy

Hey, if you think about it, absolutely nothing in year 11 counts except that you pass all 12 units to go onto year 12. In term one for geography, all i basically did were skills like map reading etc then we went onto the spheres. It's all straight out of the text book kind of stuff so just get familiar with those terms and know the processes. If you're not enjoying chem and you know you're not going to do well, get out of it as soon as you can otherwise it'll be too late. You also have the option of just sticking with chem for the next 2 terms then just drop it in year 12. Seriously, absolutely nothing in year 11 counts to your HSC! You'll be fine!:cool:

bubblette

Suggestion topic for SGP

I did my SGP on the nuclear reactor at Lucas Heights and i got 94% for it. It's original and the teachers usually don't know much on it so you'll get credit for being creative!!!

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
SGP

i did the erosion of the narrabeen collaroy beach

i did a shit job and only barely passed

haha didnt hand half of it in and did it the night b4 so i did no primary research

dont follow my example, make sure you do your own research!

jellybean8622

yeah im currently doing prelim. geography. its my fave subject, i luv it.
coming 1st in the class at the moment, stoaked bout that 1!!!
yeah, underway with my SGP now, we did a similar assignment in yr.10, so im doing "further investigation" and continuing on with it! in the middle of half yearlies at the moment, modern history today, geog next week, i think it will b fair basic.

tenille, ur location is WOLLONGONG!!!!!!!!, so am i (what school u at???)
im doing the disasterous lake illawarra for my SGP, are u close anough by to do the lake, its a good one. just a suggestion

Twintip

I did the effect of climate on vegetation (I just took photos when I went on holidays, like to the beach, to the snow, to the semi-outback, tropics, etc and spoke about why they were the way they were) and the effect of season on vegetation (I identified some specific plants in my garden and the surrounding bushland and took a photo of them ever week over spring, I made weather observations, got some crap of the BOM). It ended up at 40 pages of BS. The timing of my SGP was a little screwed though because I accelerated and started the year 11 course towards the end of term 3 year 10. :)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Urban Sprawl...
It wasn't hard. All the info came from census figures and photos taken 4 days before it was due. 1 or 19 from 20, which was ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)