Going to O-Week by yourself? (1 Viewer)

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
is anyone going to go by themselves, without any friends/family?

none of my close friends are going to UNSW (well, except for one but i doubt he'll go) and the few people i met in the bridging courses didnt seem like they were going to go. im just wondering if going to O-Week by yourself would be the equivalent of going to the Easter Show by yourself (as in, it would be extremely difficult to actually meet new people)

im not the most social person and i cant see myself just walking up to one of the +2k individuals there and going "hi, hows it going" and trying to talk up a conversation out of nowhere. most of my friends from school i never really had to go out of my way to try and get to know, it just seemed to happen naturally, so i guess i dont have too much experience in actually having to try to meet perfect strangers, especially by myself.

would anyone say that going to O-Week would be a fruitful experience in terms of getting to know people, especially if youre completely on your own?

NeoKyo

gstains ghetto! represent
HSC
nothing a rag with chloroform cant fix

but if you insist, latch onto someone and leech

or

browse at your own pleasure and maybe just happen to bump into some people doing the same course as you are
it might even be better cos youll be able to goto all the stalls/events/info lecture things without your freind that you dragged from highschool falling asleep
highly doubt anyone will be tracking your movements and giving you stone cold looks by going by yourself

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
NeoKyo said:
highly doubt anyone will be tracking your movements and giving you stone cold looks by going by yourself
wouldn't it be cool if they did though??

HSC
DeathB4Life said:
is anyone going to go by themselves, without any friends/family?

none of my close friends are going to UNSW (well, except for one but i doubt he'll go) and the few people i met in the bridging courses didnt seem like they were going to go. im just wondering if going to O-Week by yourself would be the equivalent of going to the Easter Show by yourself (as in, it would be extremely difficult to actually meet new people)

im not the most social person and i cant see myself just walking up to one of the +2k individuals there and going "hi, hows it going" and trying to talk up a conversation out of nowhere. most of my friends from school i never really had to go out of my way to try and get to know, it just seemed to happen naturally, so i guess i dont have too much experience in actually having to try to meet perfect strangers, especially by myself.

would anyone say that going to O-Week would be a fruitful experience in terms of getting to know people, especially if youre completely on your own?
Hey, I'm going to USYD but if I were going to UNSW I would have gone with you. I also don't know anyone going to my uni and the thought of going to O-Week on my own was terribly daunting. I'm so shy, I don't feel comfortable just introducing myself to new people. My suggestion is to get together with people in the same situation that don't know anyone going to UNSW. I'm planning to meet some BoSers at USYD. Hope all goes well. Don't go by yourself.

karoooh

HSC
I'm on my own too! Cept, I know quite a few people from school who are going to UNSW, but I don't really care about them, save one and she's overseas ATM.

I'm slightly nervous (more excited though), as you would be, but there'll be quite a few in the same boat too! There's nothing wrong with going on your own. Just go and chances are someone who's in the same situation, might randomly seek you out and introduce themselves! JUST GO.

Chris.

HSC
lol im going to 0-week on tuesday by myself too..majority of my school went uts : /

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Your an adult and you should now becoming independent, you can't always have your friends holding your hand and be at different events, tutes & lectures. It's time to begin the next journey in your life and if that is without high school friends so be it as most people make new friends at uni as most high school friends go onto different course, universities and develop new interests.

Most people aren't very outgoing when meeting people so I am sure there will be someone who you will meet and become friends with. It might not happen in O-Week and it might not happen in the first week but eventually someone will talk to you or you sit next to someone and start talking to them and then things develop from there.

In short no there isn't anything wrong going by yourself. Although I can understand you being anxious and nerves being alone but if anything it shows you have independence, don't need a huge bunch of friends with you all the time and gives you the freedom to do what you want.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
I went to the enrolment day by myself and felt like such a loner lol...but my friend who got in has the information sessions on same day so thankfully i wont be alone...but if i was i think i would just look for someone doing the same course and try to start a conversation...it'd be so much easier without the awkward silences lol

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
pritnep said:
Your an adult and you should now becoming independent, you can't always have your friends holding your hand and be at different events, tutes & lectures. It's time to begin the next journey in your life and if that is without high school friends so be it as most people make new friends at uni as most high school friends go onto different course, universities and develop new interests.
So what if you're going there on your own. Note that there are some of us who are 17. I'm pretty sure that we're all scared of meeting new people.

Anyways, there are lots of people in your situation DeathB4Life. There are heaps of students from the country, from interstate and even international students who'll be more lost than you.

s1mplykat

HSC
hey! i went to my academic advisory day solo, and because of that i was able to meet and greet other students and make new friends.. so i plan to go to orientation on my own too, going alone isn't necessarily a bad thing, it provides an opportunity for you to step out of your comfort zone and mingle...

HEY KAROOOH!! :wave: you've posted here YAY! hahaah orientation soon! are you excited? and dw, i wont spoil Hero's for you =P

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Sparcod said:
So what if you're going there on your own. Note that there are some of us who are 17. I'm pretty sure that we're all scared of meeting new people.

Anyways, there are lots of people in your situation DeathB4Life. There are heaps of students from the country, from interstate and even international students who'll be more lost than you.
Oh fine almost an adult be it 17 or 18 or even 16 you are still young adults. :p It's not really the point though, you are a young adult on fast on the way to become an adult.

If your going there on your own, then you are going there on your own. You choose the uni for whatever reason as it was right for you not because your friends are going to be there. There has to come a time where you step outside your comfort zone/friend circle and venture out i.e. uni. I'm not saying it's easy but everything must come to an end, people move on and friends leave just a fact - teach you to be a little independent from your friends.

But not to worry have comfort in the fact your not the only one in that situation.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
Iheartpaulfrank said:
Hey, I'm going to USYD but if I were going to UNSW I would have gone with you.
awww :D <3 *huggles

pritnep said:
If your going there on your own, then you are going there on your own. You choose the uni for whatever reason as it was right for you not because your friends are going to be there. There has to come a time where you step outside your comfort zone/friend circle and venture out i.e. uni. I'm not saying it's easy but everything must come to an end, people move on and friends leave just a fact - teach you to be a little independent from your friends.

But not to worry have comfort in the fact your not the only one in that situation.
yeah i guess...

i kind of slept in today and by "kind of" i mean that its 3pm and i have yet to have breakfast so i guess ill be going tomorrow.

hopefully therell be someone there i can leach onto and follow around the whole day without seeming desperate.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I'm sure there will be someone I know it's hard to meet people I guess I have a bit of the attitude that following high school it's time to step out into the world yourself and make friends along the way instead of trying to latch onto people let it happen. I mean there is interaction at lunch, during breaks in tutes etc. Not to say I can understand why people surround themselves with friends and in an ideal world we all would including me but not in an ideal world.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
don't worry, people are sometimes more social than you think they are. i went to my enrolment day by myself and didn't count on meeting anybody, but i met a heaps nice girl as i was about to leave and managed to have a pretty good conversation with her all the way back to the train station. and i'm not the most talktative person around. so don't stress. heaps of people will be in the same position as you.

denise_

So fetch!
HSC
i'm a UTS'er going alone. hoping to mingle with others =)

blOwfish

HSC
Hii Denise !!

Im also a UTS'er going it alone =D

What course do you dO, and whens your orientation ?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I was at O-week at UNSW today for arts/social science. As soon as I got out of the auditorium, I saw guys from my school straight away (one guy bear hugged me from behind). It was fun meeting up with people from my school though I found it quite difficult trying to meet new people. I did manage to talk to a few but they were friends of a friend, haha. For me, Oweek is ironic as I spent today catching up with my schoolmates instead of meeting new individuals entirely.

I'll try my luck tomorrow though (business faculty welcome...).

denise_

So fetch!
HSC
blOwfish said:
Hii Denise !!

Im also a UTS'er going it alone =D

What course do you dO, and whens your orientation ?
hey blowfish :)

sorry i had to call you that, i don't know your name. But yeah umm i'm doing business and i'm going on weds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)