Gold Coast Schoolies Week. What's it like? Is it worth all the hype? (1 Viewer)

jonojet

Significant Other
HSC
Hey please help me if someone out there has an answer, preferably if you've been to the Gold Coast for schoolies. Anyway I'm organising schoolies for my mates and originally we wanted to go to the goldcoast, then we decided to cruise on a chartered yacht, now some guys wana go to the gold coast as well but I don't think it's worth all the hype. Like, I tend to see the negative side of it - overcrowded, heaps of cops, expensive everything, stuck in a place with random people, people being dickheads. Is it a huge party or a crowd gathering of shitfaced kids?

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
There are too many cops everywhere, such as on caville, patrolling the beach etc. No drinking at beach parties, so if you're under 18 pretty much the only place you can drink is your room, which sucks.
It was still good (I was 18) but definitely overrated

CHaZzSTeR

You should seriously go...nothing wrong with the overcrowding, just means more chances of picking up ;) I think last years was a bit too strict, but obviously that meant there wasn't as many biff's or anything. But it was still pretty awsome...

maatsby

left on the floor
HSC
N/A
im goin to the gold coast this year with like 20 mates.. u shuldnt wori about overcrowded and all that cos its just the experience u kno? like u can say 'yeh i went to surfers for schoolies and got shitfaced every nite'. ppl who say 'yeh i went on a boat for schoolies' sound a bit poofy to me. i duno thats just my opinion. ud beta make up ur mind soon cos rooms get sold out and if u leave it too late the gold coast WILL b shit cos ull be a million miles from the beach!

gene

The overcrowding is not a problem, i reckon it makes it a bit safer because you are never alone in a dark alley or whatever. The cops- yeah they are EVERYWHERE. They walk in groups of 5 and you can't go 5 minutes without seeing a bunch of them. They are pretty lenient though- a friend of mine was so drunk he didn't know where he was, so some nice coppers threw him in the back of the car and drove him around till he sobered up and remembered where his hotel was! Then they just dropped him off, that's all.

jonojet, it's not overly expensive, like you'd have to live on bread and water for the rest of your life. I spent about 800 all up, including flights from and to newcastle. If you want to fly, but the tickets NOW, they double in price through the year.

pick a hotel less than a K from cavill, even if it is a shitty hotel, because it's better to be close rather than walk half an hour to get there or have to pay for a cab. Besides, if it is a bodge hotel, they are less likely to notice the bourbon stain on the carpet!

OH and DEFINATELY GET ONE WITH A FRIDGE. That way you can buy up at the bottlo and get smashed before you go into town. Nothing worse than a warm beer.

Any more questions, don't be afraid to ask me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)