Golden Key (1 Viewer)

kalli

HSC
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you are members of Golden Key? If you are, is it worth the 90 something bucks for the mmbership?

Dr_Doom

HSC
What's it for? Like scholarships and grants and things? I guess it would be worth it, if you are motivated enough...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I am... but no, I don't really think it's worth it.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I am also a memeber and I DO NOT recomend it unless you go to some of the melbourne unis where they acctually kinda active.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
i am and i think its worth it

but thats mainly coz im going on exchange and they give out 1000 dollar scholarships

Dr_Doom

HSC
stalk_if_u_dare said:
The say what now??

Golden Key?? What is it?

(oh the joys of asking stupid questions)
It's some organisation that give scholaships and grants away to people who earn them or something...

There now you know as much as me :)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I'm a member, but only because my parents forced me to be. I figured it'd be $90 spent on spamming my email inbox with useless bullshit. I was just told that wasn't the case, but I insisted that's what it was.

I was right.

True story, ask jm1234567890. He was there when I became a member (and when he became one too).

X

xeuyrawp

poloktim said:
I'm a member, but only because my parents forced me to be. I figured it'd be $90 spent on spamming my email inbox with useless bullshit. I was just told that wasn't the case, but I insisted that's what it was.

I was right.

True story, ask jm1234567890. He was there when I became a member (and when he became one too).
I think it's one of those things that you have to be really excited and active about (as well as joining an area that has a lot of events on).

I mean, it'd be really useful for people like aspiring lawyers who need to have huge amounts of networking.

That being said, I haven't joined them - apparently the Macquarie one is pretty useless, the only real function they have is a yearly 'drinks dinner' or something.

Demandred

HSC
I am, I think its worth it to have something nice your cv. Top 15%? depends on the candidature :).

X

xeuyrawp

Demandred said:
I am, I think its worth it to have something nice your cv.
At this stage (ie retail and more medial office jobs), if someone put that on a cv I'd throw it out and move onto people who would rather put in more info about actual experience and knowledge, not something as fickle and indeterminate as university rankings.

Getting a decent job, keeping it for a long time, excelling in it and then getting a top reference > golden key bullshit any day. And don't tell me you're one of those people that have a resume longer than a couple of pages :p

Actually, getting into a decent soccer team, keeping at it, and winning a few competitions > golden key bullshit. I'd rather work with someone who has life skills than someone who thinks putting 'Golden Key society' over 'Hobbies: Karate, reading, etc' is better. Then again, I might have just worked with some very impressive people who have very unimpressive academic records...

Last edited by a moderator:

Vahl

HSC
The whole idea of these societies is absurd. Create your own opportunities.

X

xeuyrawp

Vahl3 said:
The whole idea of these societies is absurd. Create your own opportunities.
I agree. The premise behind the society seems warped.

They encourage academic achievement, but the GKS website talks about networking and how it's a great way to get ahead.

It seems so exclusive that someone who is in the top 16% misses out on a great way to get ahead when there are so many factors involved in uni marks. Shouldn't they encourage everyone to get ahead? It's all good to promote academic excellence, but it seems like intellectual snobbery to me...

At least things like the Masons and Rotary are open to anyone that decides to commit to something larger and better than themselves.

Vahl

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I agree. The premise behind the society seems warped.

They encourage academic achievement, but the GKS website talks about networking and how it's a great way to get ahead.

It seems so exclusive that someone who is in the top 16% misses out on a great way to get ahead when there are so many factors involved in uni marks. Shouldn't they encourage everyone to get ahead? It's all good to promote academic excellence, but it seems like intellectual snobbery to me...

At least things like the Masons and Rotary are open to anyone that decides to commit to something larger and better than themselves.
Yeah I agree: it suggests that academic achievement is the only record of individual worth. That this is not so is unalienable and clear to anyone.

Also: I have suspicions about these 'elite' societies - actually preventing achievement through propagating a sense of superiority, and creating opportunities for some at the expense of others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)