Goldman Sachs Intern/Graduate Program (1 Viewer)

dexst8r

HSC
N/A
What are the requirements to get an interview at GoldmanSachs JBWere in Australia or any GS branch worldwide for an internship or graduate? and please share your experiences on interview questions or anything!

Affinity

HSC
good marks, some experience would be good (you can get one without exp though, if you have good enough marks)

most importantly, you need to be prepared to work till midnight 6 days a week.

3li

HSC
N/A
u gotta b good
depends which area
its a nice bank so yea

i was cut after 2 round but got thru to other banks, so obviously its a tougher organisation to work

jonathan__

HSC
might sound a bit random, but given the choice, would u rather working in the IBD of Mac, MS, GSJBW, DB or UBS, and why? (in terms of prestige, exit opps, etc).

MasterPUA

HSC
jonathan__ said:
might sound a bit random, but given the choice, would u rather working in the IBD of Mac, MS, GSJBW, DB or UBS, and why? (in terms of prestige, exit opps, etc).
Prestige - GS.
Exit Ops - GS
'Models and Bottles' rating - GS

Rorix

HSC
jonathan__ said:
A friend of mine had this choice (minus DB) and went for UBS. A couple of years ago UBS was the clear #1 in Australia but overseas factors are impacting...that said,

Prestige - globally GS of course, in Australia probably UBS and GS roughly tied
Exit ops - Probably GS
Models and bottles - Macquarie since you've got no time for models at GS/UBS. Although the true models and bottles firm is Citi

jonathan__

HSC
what about how hard they work you?
The AD's I've talked to in Mac say Analysts end their day typically at 9-10 unless something's on.
I was told GSJBW works their Analysts till at least 12.

Is this all true? What about UBS?

Ultimately, would you settle for working in a place with fewer hours for the sake of maintaining your sanity? Obviously 9-10 is by no means early but we are talking about IB here.

MasterPUA

HSC
jonathan__ said:
The AD's I've talked to in Mac say Analysts end their day typically at 9-10 unless something's on.

Ultimately, would you settle for working in a place with fewer hours for the sake of maintaining your sanity? Obviously 9-10 is by no means early but we are talking about IB here.
Midnight finishes aren't across all divisions at GSJBW. Traders, salespeople and structurers get out at far more reasonable hours most of the time. That said, you are still a slave to the Berry until about midnight.

Rorix

HSC
jonathan__ said:

It all depends on the group you're in.

Macq is generally pretty good, 9-10 would be about right I'd say.
GSJBW definitely has a work hard culture.
UBS globally is known for being a sweatshop, in the Aust office I think it's group dependent.

Leaving at 9 or 10 isn't actually too bad (as in you could probably sustain it long term) - gives you enough time to go to the gym in morning or evening and off to bed for a decent nights sleep.

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
It all depends on the group you're in.

Macq is generally pretty good, 9-10 would be about right I'd say.
GSJBW definitely has a work hard culture.
UBS globally is known for being a sweatshop, in the Aust office I think it's group dependent.

Leaving at 9 or 10 isn't actually too bad (as in you could probably sustain it long term) - gives you enough time to go to the gym in morning or evening and off to bed for a decent nights sleep.
Actually, most people here at Macquarie will go to the gym in the afternoon or lunchtime - and still leave by around 9 - 10pm.

But when its busy, its busy - I'm talking 2 to 3 months without a day off. But that is the same as any other investment bank.

The upside with Macquarie is the lack of face time.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Off topic, one of my jap friends works in Tokyo for Fuji TV and has been there for 4 months with only 3 days off since she started.

Including weekends.

Kinda puts things into perspective. Like the fact that Karoshi doesn't happen here. :)

EDIT: Or Kwarosa for that matter.

Last edited:

jonathan__

HSC
geetarjoe said:
Actually, most people here at Macquarie will go to the gym in the afternoon or lunchtime - and still leave by around 9 - 10pm.

But when its busy, its busy - I'm talking 2 to 3 months without a day off. But that is the same as any other investment bank.

The upside with Macquarie is the lack of face time.
I'm assuming you're in MacCap Advisers? Which group are you in?

deviates106

HSC
N/A
jonathan__ said:

For prestige I would work for Goldman Sachs but for practical reasons like job security I would work for JP Morgan

Its a well diversified company plus if it was ever in trouble Exxon Mobil would bail them out obviously...

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
deviates106 said:
For prestige I would work for Goldman Sachs but for practical reasons like job security I would work for JP Morgan

Its a well diversified company plus if it was ever in trouble Exxon Mobil would bail them out obviously...
You mean the Fed will bail them out. IIrc GS have cut the least from their workforce, so wouldn't you rather (by your logic) work for them?

Care to enlighten me about the relationship between Exxon and JPM?

Unless you are referring to this:

http://www.jpmorganchase.com/cm/cs?pagename=Chase/Href&urlname=jpmc/about/governance/members/raymond

On another note, I found this guy academic history hilarious:

http://www.jpmorganchase.com/cm/cs?pagename=Chase/Href&urlname=jpmc/about/governance/members/gray

Mr. Gray earned a B.A. degree from Franklin & Marshall College and received a master’s degree in divinity from Drew Theological Seminary and a master’s degree in church history from Princeton Theological Seminary.

Last edited:

deviates106

HSC
N/A
velox said:
You mean the Fed will bail them out. IIrc GS have cut the least from their workforce, so wouldn't you rather (by your logic) work for them?

Care to enlighten me about the relationship between Exxon and JPM?

Unless you are referring to this:

http://www.jpmorganchase.com/cm/cs?pagename=Chase/Href&urlname=jpmc/about/governance/members/raymond

On another note, I found this guy academic history hilarious:

http://www.jpmorganchase.com/cm/cs?pagename=Chase/Href&urlname=jpmc/about/governance/members/gray
JD Rockefeller who founded Chase Man. Bank which is now known as JP Morgan Chase & Co. also founded Standard Oil which is now known as Exxon Mobil

His decendents still sit on the board of either company to this day - In fact one of his grandsons was CEO of JP Morgan for like 10+ year at one time

His family have a massive vested interest in JP Morgan Chase & Co - Its basically the family's ambition to make it the most dominant company in the entire the world

Forbes Magazine estimated the familys net worth as being approximately 8-10 trillion dollars - Some of the money has been locked up in a trust fund in the 1930's which can only be unlocked after the 5th generation of the family - Obviously the trust fund is also administered by JP Morgan & Co...

Also JP Morgans daughter is married to JD Rockefellers son

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Macq is the slackest/best. But you'd take
a) pay cut
b) bonuses in options of macq shares (not sure if you want those...)

everyone in the past 2 yrs essentially got nothing as a bonus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)