Gone With the Wind (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
am currently rereading it rather than doing schoolwork, and it's so wonderful. i love the movie, it complements the intricacies of the book so well.

who else is a gwtw junkie?

MouNtY

i thought it was alrite but i couldnt actually read the whole thing. i didnt really find it all that intriguing, or maybe you just have to be really sophisticated to like it. lol

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I think it's one of those things where you're either caught up in it or you're not. and if you're not, reading 1,000 pages+ to finish it isn't going to seem worth it : ) I got like that with lotr for sure.

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
I loved that book. I don't see it as literature, just something to enjoy. I've read the sequel Scarlett and its pretty good too.
*sigh* if only Rhett Bulter was real!
I saw the movie and I thought I won't like it coz I hate Clark Gable but I ended up falling for him. *sigh*

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I'm yet to read the book but I LOVE THE MOVIE!

I loved Scarlett's character (Vivien Leigh played her so well). She was such a brat, even after all she went through. And it was so sad when their little girl died, poor Rhett :(

Ah, Tara.

Ziusudra

Be My Only Angel
I love that movie, it's 4 hours long but it's a great spellbinding drama and set in such a dramatic time - America's Civil War. I plan on getting this on DVD.

astro

HSC
I love GWTW movie and book. however, the sequel didn't have the spark that gave the original so much success

Scarlett would also have to be one of my favourite character in literature....

Last edited:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by astro
I love GWTW movie and book. however, the sequel didn't have the spark that gave the original so much success

I started scarlett, read abt 200 pages, I really like it, but it's definitely not as good as gwtw.

I hate people who watch the movie and then read the book. "Oh! Ashley was in the KKK!". Of course he was you fucking dumbshits, he was a southerner in the 1800s, do you think he was all for equal rights?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by Ziusudra
I love that movie, it's 4 hours long but it's a great spellbinding drama and set in such a dramatic time - America's Civil War. I plan on getting this on DVD.
It's over 5 hours long. First act 3:47, second act 1:27. I'm a nerd. : )

clerisy

HSC
Ah! Gone with the wind obsessives! I have no friends who share that passion, so this is nice. Once I tried to get my friends to watch it with me (haven't even seen it.... what kind of weirdo hasn't even seen it???) but then they inspected the cover and discovered the running time. I managed to convince them to watch Casablanca instead of giving up the whole thing, but that died miserably... they spent the whole time complaining of boredom and one fell asleep. I've never forgiven them for that...

Back to gone with the wind, I read the book in year nine-ish after a lifetime of obsessing over the film, and it completely changed my perception of the movie. The book is (like always) far better. Granted, I can still watch it with great gusto-- the film brings to life the book perfectly in terms of visuals, character, theme-- but there are so many nuances and meanings (and of course plot details) in the book that are missed out in the movie. (albeit It's a better adaptation than Lord of the Rings, though, which I despise).

Originally posted by miss_salty
I've read the sequel Scarlett and its pretty good too.
*sigh* if only Rhett Bulter was real!
I saw the movie and I thought I won't like it coz I hate Clark Gable but I ended up falling for him. *sigh*
Haven't read Scarlett-- is that the one written by a different author? I don't particularly approve of that...

Also, how can one hate Clark Gable?????? Naturally you ended up falling for him; anyone with sense is in love with Gable. He's Rhett come to life, and Rhett is one of the sexiest characters in literature!!! (one of these days he'll knock on my door). Any devotees of Clark Gable in It Happened One Night??? Mmmm...

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by clerisy
Haven't read Scarlett-- is that the one written by a different author? I don't particularly approve of that...

Also, how can one hate Clark Gable?????? Naturally you ended up falling for him; anyone with sense is in love with Gable. He's Rhett come to life, and Rhett is one of the sexiest characters in literature!!! (one of these days he'll knock on my door). Any devotees of Clark Gable in It Happened One Night??? Mmmm...
Scarlett is written by Alexandra Ripley. And yeah, I don't really like other authors writing sequels to someone else's book. But I really wanted Scarlett and Rhett back together and that book gave me closure. Apart from Rhett and Scarlett breaking up, I thought there were some stuff that need to be reveal or expanded in GWTW - which Margaret Mitchell may have done if she was still alive to write sequel.

I dislike Clark Gable coz I read some biography on him and he seem arrogrant. Many of his co-stars disliked him (and they said he had a smelly breath!). But that was before I saw the movie.

princesse

Mmm..free goo.
No matter what road we take we'll always end up in
HSC
me and my friend went through a gone with the wind phase in year 9! hehehe. i still love it...the movie cuts out some important things but...1 child instead of 3?!

i liked 'Scarlett' as a book itself, but not as a sequel. one of the reasons i like 'Gone With the Wind' is because its ending was reality...it wasnt a fairytale so you aren't disillusioned thinking that life will always turn out with a happy ending, because it doesnt... Rhett left Scarlett, The End.

clerisy

HSC
Originally posted by miss_salty
I dislike Clark Gable coz I read some biography on him and he seem arrogrant. Many of his co-stars disliked him (and they said he had a smelly breath!). But that was before I saw the movie.
Yeah, I remember reading something about his breath. But come on, it's Clark Gable! You could just throw him a mint before leaning in... I read a biography on him which I think was quite biased towards him and made only fleeting references to arrogance... eh well, he had a right to be. He was gorgeous! I think the whole Gable- Carole Lombard thing is so sad...

Originally posted by princesse
the movie cuts out some important things but...1 child instead of 3?!

i liked 'Scarlett' as a book itself, but not as a sequel. one of the reasons i like 'Gone With the Wind' is because its ending was reality...it wasnt a fairytale so you aren't disillusioned thinking that life will always turn out with a happy ending, because it doesnt... Rhett left Scarlett, The End.
I know! The child numbers were somewhat inconsistent... and I didn't like the absence of Will in the film-- he was second in gorgeousness only to Rhett (Ashley, of course, was a piddly punce).

And I agree that the ending was right. Although I've spent the years since I first saw the film endlessly mourning Scarlett and Rhett's break up and thinking about possible ways to get them back together, it wouldn;t be as effective. The fact was that Rhett loved Scarlett so much, but love doesn't conquer all (how depressing) and there's only so much of her crap he could put up with. Even if he still loved her, he couldn't be with her. And then you end up with a much more vulnerable Scarlett who's finally recognised a spot of true feeling in herself-- but even still, she's the same Scarlett as she always was, with the same spirit and determination to power on and get on with her life. There's a lot of (albeit a little cliched) moral messages behind that.

And anyway, we don't know for sure that Rhett and Scarlett are done forever... there's still the implication there: "Tomorrow I'll think of some way to get him back." And with Scarlett's determination.... undetermined possibilities are so much more satisfying than definite endings.

Ah, the glory of romantic fiction!!!

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
Has anyone read The Wind Done Gone by Alice Randall. Its a parody or something like that of GWTW. It just smashes the romantic and genteel image of GWTW and *cries* ruined Rhett's image for me. He gets older (with a prosperity swollen belly) and seems really pathetic.
The protagonist is Scarlett's black and illegimate half-sister (who Rhett prefers). All the slaves and black people, who were previously in the background, gets viewed in a different light here - they pull the strings, not their white masters. The book also suggests that Scarlett has black blood in her!
It's an interesting book and perhaps more realistic and clever than GWTW.

HSC
I didn't know there was a sequel...hmmm add that onto my reading list...
But i loved GWTW the first time I read it- i think my prescription went up when i finished reading it cos I spend all my time with my nose in the book. I think its one of the most emotionally packed books ever- screw wuthering stupid heights (which I'm doing for english...)
But Rhett definitely has the bad boy thing down...*sigh*

clerisy

HSC
As much as I adore Gone with the Wind, I don't think I can dismiss Wuthering Heights so easily! Rhett and Heathcliff are on a par in gorgeousness, I think!

Ashleet

HSC
I have never been able to read it :( because i have seen the movie, and i hate not being able to picture what is going on in my own mind, rather than something a director has created

HSC
Originally posted by clerisy
Rhett and Heathcliff are on a par in gorgeousness, I think!
So Clerisy, what do you love about Heathcliff? He's so cruel to everyone and is just a wicked bitter man who wants revenge...Rhett on the other hand, is only bitter to protect himself from any hurt feelings...
mmmm...rhett is still better....
and ashleet, do you mean the gwtw book? cos its sooooo goood. and you wouldn't think of the movie cos so much is left out in the movie!!!! Read the book!

clerisy

HSC
Originally posted by charlie_charlie
So Clerisy, what do you love about Heathcliff? He's so cruel to everyone and is just a wicked bitter man who wants revenge...Rhett on the other hand, is only bitter to protect himself from any hurt feelings...
mmmm...rhett is still better....
and ashleet, do you mean the gwtw book? cos its sooooo goood. and you wouldn't think of the movie cos so much is left out in the movie!!!! Read the book!
But Heathcliff was treated so badly in the past that you can understand his bitterness-- and besides, the love of his life married the type of man he despises! And when Cathy dies and he reels into that "Do not leave me in this abyss where I cannot find you!" speech, how utterly beautiful is he? I bawl my eyes out everytime...

But I get what you're saying about Rhett. He's never particularly vindictive... I'm torn between two lovers! (Pity neither of them are waiting at my door).

And I agree with what you wrote to ashleet. I carried very little of what I saw in the film into my reading of the book-- instead it made me criticise a lot of how the film is presented. Granted, Rhett was always Clark Gable to me and Scarlett was always Vivien Leigh, but if you look at the way those characters were in the book, it's the most fantastic casting I've ever seen (with the exception of Pride and Prejudice's Darcy!)-- they just stepped straight out of the book!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)