Are you gonna miss your teachers?

• Yep! Loved my teachers!

Votes: 143 79.9%
  • Uh, hell no.

Votes: 36 20.1%

• Total voters

elisabeth

HSC
Well sucks to be you that you haven't had the good experience with teachers like most of us have.

Although, has it occured to you to take some action WHILE you were at school, like having a word with your teachers, head teachers or principal? If you weren't the only one feeling this way, I bet something would have happened. But it's probably more fun to feel like a martyr for doing independent learning and whinging on BOS, right?

And finally - giving us exercises to do from a textbook is 'bludging'? Yeah, whatever. It's not like maths is a subject which requires constant PRACTISE to excel...

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
gonna miss business, legal, maths and english teachers
my IPT one was hopeless
My RE one, meh....

arooshika...

HSC
if i get a job before the barbie which is on the 19th dec then i'll give all my teachers including the stage co ordinator prezzie and that to from my first pay otherwise i will give it to them next year

arooshika...

HSC
MarsBarz said:
I go to a top 60 school, so the school is supposedly adequate.
The majority of my teachers however are not.

Conclusion: Teachers and schools are completely redundant. All that is needed to learn is a good textbook, discipline and motivation.
you whinge alot, even more than me

princess_ariel

HSC
I'm definitely gonna miss my teachers, though some more than others. my bio teacher rocks - miss him so much already.

matt-17

HSC
i had a gr8 group of teachers. 4 all my subjects. ne1 out there from westport will kno who im talkin bout - captain k, bourkey, and our yr advisor finnerty!!!!! their all gr8!!! u guys rock!!!!!!

J

jhakka

MarsBarz said:
Guess what, teaching is an easy job and 99.9% of teachers are pathetic at it. Then again, it is a terrible career and deserves no applause. Tons of holidays, easy work, short days, job security ... and they still have the nerves to ask for higher wages?
You sir, are a fool.

Tons of holidays: When do you think teachers have to come up with their programs for the year? Lesson plans? Homework? Assignments? When do you think staff development days take place? These things don't pull themselves out of the air, or get themselves done. I know of teachers who will spend days on end in their own holidays working on programs and lesson plans just so they're not swamped during the term.

Easy work: Umm... no. Arrogant students, for starters, make life difficult. The Board of Studies don't just hand teachers the information and say "Here, read this." The teacher needs to learn the material themselves. Material, mind you, for every class they're teaching. Every text for every grade, in the case of English teachers, need to be known inside and out before you can even walk into that classroom. What about Child Protection? Did you know that teachers are required by law to report to DOCS if they believe a student is at risk of abuse? How does that work emotionally? Who has to deal with shit students who think they're smarter than the teacher is? Who has to deal with shit students whose parents have no idea what discipline is, and expect the school to take care of it? Who has to deal with the fact that some parents are absolutely hopeless, let their kids run wild, and expect the school to take care of it? Who has to deal with the fact that any one of those kids could have a knife in their back pocket? Who has to deal with the fact that if a student gets violent, self defence is pretty much out of the question?

Short days: 9am to 3pm job, isn't it? A lot of teachers arrive at school before 7:30. A lot don't leave until after 4 or 5 in the afternoon. They don't get paid for that extra time. As above, when do they get to do their lesson plans and programming? Holidays, free time. Take your pick. Do you think teachers get paid to mark? How much of their work do they get paid for when they do it outside of school hours? None.

Job security: Yes. It's a government job. We also have a shortage of teachers. Of course there's going to be job security.

MarsBarz said:
Can't you just accept that teaching is one of the easiest jobs around? Name a job which requires less responsibility.
See above where I stated:
jhakka said:
What about Child Protection? Did you know that teachers are required by law to report to DOCS if they believe a student is at risk of abuse? How does that work emotionally?
And that's just part of it. Teachers have to deal with around 30 kids at any one time. The school is responsible for hundreds of students all day for five days a week. if a kid breaks his leg during PE, who is responsible? The teacher. Something with less responsibility? Basically any job that doesn't deal with human lives, in any sense.

adambra said:
The majority of teachers do next to no work. They whinge about marking, big deal, they take as long as they want to do it! They are accountable to noone, most of them are ignorant of the subjects they teach. I say cut pay to teachers, give it to nurses!
Next to no work: How would you know about "the majority of teachers"? Have you surveyed every teacher, and found out exactly how much work they do. For some of the work a teacher does, pelase see where I state:
jhakka said:
When do you think teachers have to come up with their programs for the year? Lesson plans? Homework? Assignments? When do you think staff development days take place? These things don't pull themselves out of the air, or get themselves done. I know of teachers who will spend days on end in their own holidays working on programs and lesson plans just so they're not swamped during the term.
Or even:
jhakka said:
9am to 3pm job, isn't it? A lot of teachers arrive at school before 7:30. A lot don't leave until after 4 or 5 in the afternoon. They don't get paid for that extra time. As above, when do they get to do their lesson plans and programming? Holidays, free time. Take your pick. Do you think teachers get paid to mark? How much of their work do they get paid for when they do it outside of school hours? None.
Also take into account excursions that take place on weekends or go after hours. What about discos and functions such as the senior formals. They are still accountable for the students. They have to organise it. And, again, how much do they get paid for the out of hours work? Zero.

Marking: Is done in their own time. With no pay. The working day for many professions ends the moment they walk out of the office. Teaching does not. As I have said multiple times, things like marking happen out of school hours, and teachers do not get paid for it.

Accountability: Let's start small: Head teachers, deputy principles, principles. Move on to parents and community. How about the district offices? Oh, and the Department of Education. And eventually the government. Did you know that a teacher could lose their job just because a student says that the teacher has sexually assaulted another student - regardless of if this is true or not. Granted it doesn't happen, but the allegation is so serious it could ruin someone's career.

MarsBarz said:
I go to a top 60 school, so the school is supposedly adequate.
The majority of my teachers however are not.

1. They cannot control the class. They are unable to discipline the louder obnoxious students. This means that other students are distracted and class time is wasted. I have seen teachers yell at particular students all lesson or threaten them with detentions yet disciplinary action is never taken. This is much like the parenting crisis in Australia at the moment. Numerous authority figures are too scared to properly discipline trouble individuals.

2. They rarely set any homework. When they do, they never check it. Thus the majority of students simply do not do it. Again this is a problem of discipline. If the homework is checked and disciplinary action is taken then most students will get the message that after school work requires attention. I hate to admit it but at our age, a lot of us do not have enough self-discipline. We need a kick to the butt every now and then, an incentive to work.

03. They do not set any class tests. There are just end of term exams. Ergo, most students do not keep up to date and tend to cram towards the end of the term. Also the lack of class tests discourages competitiveness amongst students and much needed practice of exam situations which is counter-productive. Increased competition would lead to much more effort.

4. Teachers do not provide adequate assessments of individual's progress. Again, more attention to individual's progress (ie: a few minutes of checking homework) would lead to numerous problems being resolved.

5. Teachers do not have any idea about proper teaching methods. They do not realise that the goal is for their students' to achieve the highest possible marks in exams. Schools aren't success oriented enough. Teachers aren't interested in their students' success. After all, it doesn't matter if their whole class fails. It doesn't affect their working conditions. Which is why so many teachers will 'bludge'. In computing subjects they let the students play games on the computer. In english they read from a textbook or ramble on about nothing. In Maths they give you exercises to do from the textbook. And so on.

Conclusion: Teachers and schools are completely redundant. All that is needed to learn is a good textbook, discipline and motivation.
Classroom management: Do you think that it is possible to walk in off the street and control a class? Classroom management is a skill that takes years to develop, and it encompasses areas such as seating, the amount of material around the room, and of couse student-teacher interaction. This is made even more difficult in a period where children are not taught to respect those in a position of authority over them. This is difficult when you have idiot students who think they know better than you. This is difficult when, as I said earlier, a student could pull a knife and stab you at any second.

Homework: Whether or not homework is set is irrelevant. Some subjects do not warrant homework. Others do. And the point of it is not to make your life hell. In senior high school - when your HSC is your responsibility - homework is revision, and should not need marking. This isn't junior school any more, and you're not going to be taken in baby steps.

Testing: As above. Your HSC is your responsibility. If you want to be assessed, you should go to the teacher and ask for extra assignments. The teachers have an entire syllabus to get through in a year. And more often than not, the school will set deadlines for when certain topics should be completed. If you want to study, do it yourself. You shouldn't need a teacher to tell you that. And you shouldn't need tests - ones that won't count for anything, no less - to motivate you. The HSC should be enough.

Assessment and progress: As above. Take it into your own hands. Why blame a teacher for your own laziness, when its just as easy to go to them after class and ask for more work, ask for help, or even for a general comment on your progress?

Teaching methods: Please define "proper teaching methods". Are you a teacher? Have you done a five year degree on teaching methods? No? Then shut up. There is no universal method that will work in every situation. It is about adapting to a situation, and to your students. Just as much responsibility also goes to the students. If they're not cooperating, "proper teaching methods" won't do any good anyway.

Redundancy: If this is the case, why are you complaining about lack of motivation to study, lack of testing and lack of marking? If you have everything you need, use it. Do you want to be told when to breathe, too?

This is not to say that all teachers are good. Some do it for the wrong reasons, and some do display some of the less desireable behaviours. However, it is wrong to say that it is an easy job when you have no idea of its responsibilities, implications and the sheer amount of work involved.

HSC
N/A
elisabeth said:
Well sucks to be you that you haven't had the good experience with teachers like most of us have.

Although, has it occured to you to take some action WHILE you were at school, like having a word with your teachers, head teachers or principal? If you weren't the only one feeling this way, I bet something would have happened. But it's probably more fun to feel like a martyr for doing independent learning and whinging on BOS, right?

And finally - giving us exercises to do from a textbook is 'bludging'? Yeah, whatever. It's not like maths is a subject which requires constant PRACTISE to excel...
Nicely said.

One thing I should add to this is something for MarsBarz.

If you haven't been taught by 99.9% of the teachers in NSW, don't make rash claims. I had frickin' brilliant teachers, and I have friends that were also fortunate enough to have wonderful teachers. Maybe for me, it helped that I went to HGHS, but good teachers aren't limited to selectives or "top 60" schools. Good teachers are good teachers, wherever they are. The same can be said about bad teachers.

My grade successfully got one teacher banned from teaching the Yr 11 and Yr 12 syllabus because she wasn't doing it properly. Of course, my grade was stuck with her till the end (some rule about no changeovers to teacher etc) but they made life so much better for future grades. Elisabeth makes a fantastic point when she suggests that you'd prefer to sit on your butt and whinge rather than actually doing something about it.

Jhakka also makes valid points. I'm not studying Education at university, but I *am* a dance teacher. Just a dance teacher, with some english tuition on the side. And it's constantly challenging! To speak about both generally - there is a set amount of content to cover. And frequently, it's stupid - and some of my teachers last year freely admitted to that. But it has to be covered, and teachers will sometimes go to extraordinary lengths to ensure the students know their stuff. Quite a few of my HSC teachers went far and beyond their call of duty last year - holding offline classes, mainly to help students finish their major works. One of my friends even stayed back at school until like, 3am in the morning UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF HIS TEACHER in order to get his major work done.

As jhakka has also mentioned, your point about teachers having "Tons of holidays, easy work, short days" is moot.

Oh, and here's something about discipline.

It's your job as a student to be respectful to your teacher. It's also - generally - the parent's role to discipline their child. A teacher has work they need to teach - they're not paid to take on the role of parent/babysitter. Also, teachers are humans. You try teaching the same class of unruly students all year, and see if YOU don't crack at least once.

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
hell yeah... go glitterfairy.

i have total total respect for my teachers because i know that i could never do the job they do... im not patient enough...

Ive found all my teachers to be really genuine people, why would they put up with teaching if they didnt love to see kids to do the best they can? I think thats pretty awesome.

just had to have my little say...

-Saedie

Last edited:

mishka

HSC
N/A
Go jhakka and glitterfairy :D

These sorts of comments about teachers having an "easy job" with "loads of holidays" just prove how ignorant many people are. Teaching is a responsibility to educate the next generation. No other job has that pressure. What you see in a classroom is only a fraction of the work that good teachers put into their career. Shaping children into educated, caring, responsible, motivated, respectable young citizens is not a task that should be taken light heartedly.

The reason I have chosen to take the path of teaching is because I actually want to make a difference in a child's life. I am proud to be training as a future educator because I know that it is the most interesting, challenging, yet rewarding career there is.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
MarsBarz said:
1. They cannot control the class. They are unable to discipline the louder obnoxious students. This means that other students are distracted and class time is wasted. I have seen teachers yell at particular students all lesson or threaten them with detentions yet disciplinary action is never taken. This is much like the parenting crisis in Australia at the moment. Numerous authority figures are too scared to properly discipline trouble individuals.
Have you ever tried to control a class of 30 teenagers? It isn't easy. Particularly when they aren't interested in being there. There is a limit to how far they can go, maybe if we bought back coporal punishment it would work wonders.
2. They rarely set any homework. When they do, they never check it. Thus the majority of students simply do not do it. Again this is a problem of discipline. If the homework is checked and disciplinary action is taken then most students will get the message that after school work requires attention. I hate to admit it but at our age, a lot of us do not have enough self-discipline. We need a kick to the butt every now and then, an incentive to work.
That is the student's own discipline problem. It isn't the teachers responsibility that you continue working in your own time. If you want to be a failure that is your choice.
3. They do not set any class tests. There are just end of term exams. Ergo, most students do not keep up to date and tend to cram towards the end of the term. Also the lack of class tests discourages competitiveness amongst students and much needed practice of exam situations which is counter-productive. Increased competition would lead to much more effort.
Actually not everybody learns in a competitive environment, it stresses some and causes them to do worse. Also I think you may be forgetting about assessment tasks.
4. Teachers do not provide adequate assessments of individual's progress. Again, more attention to individual's progress (ie: a few minutes of checking homework) would lead to numerous problems being resolved.
A few minutes of checking homework? Glad to see you have no concept of time here. Wouldn't the student notice that (s)he had problems with the homework and hence should see the teacher? Checking homework doesn't do anything if they are having troubles with it because you will see they have attempted and since you are trying to check 20 peoples in 4 minutes thats 12 seconds on each.
5. Teachers do not have any idea about proper teaching methods. They do not realise that the goal is for their students' to achieve the highest possible marks in exams. Schools aren't success oriented enough. Teachers aren't interested in their students' success. After all, it doesn't matter if their whole class fails. It doesn't affect their working conditions. Which is why so many teachers will 'bludge'. In computing subjects they let the students play games on the computer. In english they read from a textbook or ramble on about nothing. In Maths they give you exercises to do from the textbook. And so on.

Oh wait, thats what I've missed throughout my entire education. Education is all about getting marks on an exam, silly me in thinking that is to equip you with skills.

If you wanted to teach students how to sit an exam you could. I could take a student and drill in enough material such that they learn how to do the exam as a matter of memory. Of course not understanding why something works or how to apply those skills to situation outside of the exam will never be useful.

All that is needed to learn is a good textbook, discipline and motivation. Yes. If you never have trouble. By the way, I thought you said students were lacking discipline. But it's ok since logic obviously isnt needed.

HSC
N/A
For all those people who go to lasalle, we gonna miss the hot female teachers, i dear say our scool has the hottest teacher out of any scool! ... gonna miis u ms collins n e.t.c.!

matt-17

HSC
wish i had gone 2 school wit sum of u guys!!! we had a few who would just complain bout the tiniest things!!!! nothing was done rite (according to them), the teachers were incompetent, etc etc! really starts 2 piss u off afta a while!!!!! they had no idea that these teachers actually care bout ur hsc and try their hardest to help u achieve ur potential!!!! and let me just say, i could never do what they do!

karen88

Radioactive Queen
HSC
had all my teachers for da past 2 years and have become really close and helped me a lot during da way...going to miss them

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
that was so outta the blue.....

im gonna miss some of my teachers, they were so god damn nice and helpful. some would go completely out of their way for us students, it was amazing. on the contrary, im glad i won't ever see some of those teachers again, in some classes, we ended up teaching the teacher the content rather than the other way around.

by the way hailo, that pic of cederick looks amazing!

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
My maths teacher drove behind me yesterday to work. i realised how much i miss him, and maths. he was so so so cool. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)