Good at advanced english. What uni course to choose? (1 Viewer)

yew

HSC
Im considering law. Will being good at english be helpful for studying in a bachelor of law? Or have i got the wrong perception of a law degree?

cheers

rayz93

HSC
I'm interested in law too. I like english as well. I don't know though.... english will help with a lot of things, but you can check what the universities consider as assumed knowledge or recommended ones in the UAC book. you might get an idea then. the course i want to do is linked to criminology, and it recommends for you to have taken advanced english....so yeah... which universities have u considered for law? and whats ur atar aim?

Readaholic

HSC
Uni Grad
I consider Law to be about interpreting and manipulating language so yes, considering all the readings I hear law students do in law, I'd say being good at English would definitely help! I do four unit English and hope it will be helpful if I get into Arts/Law. As a law student the ability to clearly express yourself and understand texts is an important skill to have. Other degrees that are relevant to english include Journalism, Media, Communications, Teaching, Creative Writing, Arts, ect.

yew

HSC
My ATAR aim is 88, so im not sure whether i can enter any undergrad law courses? With this in mind, the deadline for uac is looming and I have no idea which courses to select :S Perhaps i should go for Mac, or UTS, and choose a similar degree, and then transfer as a second year??? Does anyone know the process for doing this? And would Arts be good to choose, and major in my best subjects as to get high marks to be considered for a transfer?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Being good in English is absolutely essential for Law. But whether it is sufficient is quite a different matter.

enoilgam

HSC
Being good in English is absolutely essential for Law. But whether it is sufficient is quite a different matter.
I partially disagree with this. The analytical and writing skills you learn in subjects like modern history, legal studies, SOR and other humanities courses prepares you far better than English.

K4M1N3

HSC
I partially disagree with this. The analytical and writing skills you learn in subjects like modern history, legal studies, SOR and other humanities courses prepares you far better than English.
To be fair, he never dispute other subjects aren't essential either. Just that English does have its important features for said course.

enoilgam

HSC
Yeh I know, thats why I said I partially disagree. Just in my opinion, being good at HSC english isnt really essential.

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with this one right here. The subjects you listed above have essay requirements that reflect the essays you do in law school. English on the other hand is different. Also the fact that you learn to critically think with facts pertaining to history and legal studies is much better than the analysis done in English.

And HSC English is the worst example; not a reflective indicator of how you will do in law in any way. T_T

funnytomato

HSC
comm/law?

from what i've read and heard, the pay is decent, but the hours ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)