Good at writing essays but bad in answering/creative in english (1 Viewer)

jmlet

HSC
N/A
got my "real real" english mark back from first task and was 13/15 YESSSS
but 6/15 for listening
In prelim i was hanging near the B ranges for essay writing but creative 5/15 LOL and answering 6/15 (lol that typical 1 mark for every question)

i dont really know (i actually dont know) how hsc english works. If its the same as prelim like
paper 1: short answer + creative+ aos essay
paper 2: 3 essay for each modules?

so my goal is minimum 80 for english.. is it possible to scrape it just off if i manage to smash the essays because i honestly cant work with short answers. had a major breakdown over my 1 mark for each answer so yeah lol

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
but 6/15 for listening
In prelim i was hanging near the B ranges for essay writing but creative 5/15 LOL and answering 6/15 (lol that typical 1 mark for every question)

i dont really know (i actually dont know) how hsc english works. If its the same as prelim like

so my goal is minimum 80 for english.. is it possible to scrape it just off if i manage to smash the essays because i honestly cant work with short answers. had a major breakdown over my 1 mark for each answer so yeah lol
Yes it is exactly like that :)

Just rote learn some techniques and bull shit in the actual exam for the short answers and you should be fine - and maybe get a tutor for the creative? Or maybe look at other students work and see how they write?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
but 6/15 for listening

imo you can do the short answer questions like essay paragraphs if that helps
like a disjointed malnourished essay paragraph but still, like you are still using the basic Q-T-E model to answer the question, just less times
pretty much structure it like an essay paragraph with a topic sentence and use say 1.5 - 2 quotes(+technique/effect) per mark?

and the bigger 5 mark ones you might want to split it up into two smaller paragraphs

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
Like what Nailgun said, treat each short answer Q as a tiny essay. Usually i treat it as 1 mark = 1 technique (unless the Q specifically states how many techniques to use). Make sure you link back to the Q. You can write the most amazing response, but it means naught if you don't link it back. That may or may not actually be your issue. Your marker might've given you a mark for attempting the Q :S

For the 5-6 marker in short answers, treat it as a small comparative essay (intro, text 1, text 2, conclusion). Make sure in your topic sentence of your second text contains a linkage/comparison to your first text, as well as answering the Q. Similarly, for your concluding sentence of your second text. Each para should have about 3 and I wouldn't recommend more. The reasoning behind this is that you won't be able to provide in depth analysis when you're trying to cover the grounds for all your techniques.

For creative, you should probably focus on writing a single creative that isn't too specific (so that even if the stimulus is slightly harder, you can adapt easily) and refine it repeatedly. Writing a creative on the spot is highly not recommended (although i did kinda do that for my HSC eng advanced lmao). Find out what your "issue(s)" is for creatives. Perhaps even talk to your teacher and find out what it is that you can improve on.

jmlet

HSC
N/A
Perhaps even talk to your teacher and find out what it is that you can improve on.
after prelim the teacher told me "i can help improve your short answer and creative" ever since then nup. highly dislike my english teacher lol

i just dont get what i'm doing wrong with my short answers. I write a thesis + body paragraph for each answer but yeah somehow scored 1 mark. 6 mark essay question only 1 mark LOL had like 3 quotes in there but i think they were all the wrong and i made some random bull shit up links of the quotes. Yeah, this listening task was like some stupid interview

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
after prelim the teacher told me "i can help improve your short answer and creative" ever since then nup. highly dislike my english teacher lol

i just dont get what i'm doing wrong with my short answers. I write a thesis + body paragraph for each answer but yeah somehow scored 1 mark. 6 mark essay question only 1 mark LOL had like 3 quotes in there but i think they were all the wrong and i made some random bull shit up links of the quotes. Yeah, this listening task was like some stupid interview
idk about the listening task, but perhaps ask another teacher, or even post some of your answers here?
literally everyone in the state has to do short answers so you might as well try to improve them now since there's not really any way to get out of it

jmlet

HSC
N/A
idk about the listening task, but perhaps ask another teacher, or even post some of your answers here?
literally everyone in the state has to do short answers so you might as well try to improve them now since there's not really any way to get out of it
im scared to post it here ;^; i had a day worth of tears when i got my results TT A TT
damage was too strong

Orwell

HSC
I'm the opposite, love creative writing. Not too great at essay writing however.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
im scared to post it here ;^; i had a day worth of tears when i got my results TT A TT
damage was too strong
Lele you need to help us help you. You have to be part of your own rescue.
Lets say we're in a raft, and you fall out. If the life-line is 7 feet long, and you're at 8 feet you better get yourself to 7 lol.

(reps for anyone who knows where this is from lol; its fairly popular)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)