Good/best car between 40 - 60k (1 Viewer)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
200kW through the front wheels, and no torquesteer? Having driven one I beg to differ. Steering isn't that bad, brakes are excellent. Better than a G6 falcon IMO.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Grr BoS lost my post (again) so I'll sum it up.

In the $40-60k bracket you can't get both. You're going to be doing a tradeoff with either a luxury car without much performance (i.e. base engined models which are more about badge and look than actual life-saving/leading-edge features) or a high-spec version of an otherwise normal car (e.g. Liberty, Mazda6, Accord Euro, etc..). The problem is once you are in driveaway pricing, a lot of cars whether it be the Liberty's and the like, or even a Golf GTI, are nudging on the $50-55k mark, you begin to wonder whether you really need the performance or extra features.

It all comes down to how much poke you need and whether or not you are accustomed to high performance vehicles. You could always go down the Aussie route and get a luxury-specification Holden or Ford (I'm not familiar with these) but if it were my money, I'd probably go with a 320i (e90- recently facelifted) or the current C Class. Not a fan of the Audi A4's electric steering or weird feel when driving. All of these have expensive options lists and surprisingly satnav isn't standard (even on the Audi it's quite pricey).

Don't worry about the iDrive concerns- the e90 facelifted version on sale now is pretty decent but the only catch is it doesn't come cheap. Best bet is to wait for BMW to do a promotion or a 'technology pack' which includes it.

On the plus side in this day and age, reliability isn't so much a concern since pretty much all new cars have a decent warranty and roadside assist. However IIRC BMW is only 2 years.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I think the best thing to do is work out how big of a car you want. G Series Falcons and Calais are bloody nice these days, well featured too, and nice and roomy. Though in the city parking and such, even with a reversing camera, can be a pain. If you don't want something that big then start looking at Honda, Subaru and Lexus.

Edit: Or just man the fuck up and get an SS/XR6T

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
True, true. :p

However, look at this comparison:

Aurion engine:

IS250 engine:

The moral of the story? Lexus has become swallowed with the luxury vehicle 'law' which states that you should never touch the engine and must send it to the dealership whenever the onboard computer tells you to. :p

I can't even see a dipstick! All you can do with your Lexus is put in more engine oil. -_-

So, reliability yes.
Self servicing/Maintainance? Forget it.

Then again if you were going to pay for a $60k car, I doubt you'd be the type of person to get their hands dirty.
Looks bad, looks as if the air circulation would be fuck all, but i dont know cars.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Nowadays cars have these things called radiators, that cool the engine.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
fyi, astroe, that big silver thing on the lexus is removable
have an engine cover on my vw, it comes off it you gently pull at it
won't even need a screwdriver

and ANY new car has to go back to the (a) dealer if you want to keep its warranty
which I assume you would because I doubt the OP is going to drop 60k on a car and not care if the electrics etc work

EDIT: and reliability? He's not gonna spend 60k on a kia, dude

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think if the OP was willing to stretch a little bit, something like the Volkswagen Passat CC which is approx $65k IIRC may be a good combination.

As for the poor air circulation, for all we know, the air intake and cooling ducts may be in the grille/nose of the car (or maybe even through the bumper!)... *shrugs* Never really looked under the hood of an IS250 before. Nor would I really bother.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
When Nissan brings out there Infiniti range this debate between bmw v merc v audi v lexus is going to get heaps interesting. Apparently infiniti will arive late 2010. Honda will not bring their Acura range though. But they are basically just rebadged hondas Like the Accord Euro is sold as an Acura over there. The Infiniti vehicles are a tad different to normal nissans.

BTW between the Maxima, liberty and Mazda 6. For me i'd take the Mazda, the maxima and liberty in australia look ugly. But if we lived in the states i'd take the Maxima.
Interesting point about Infiniti. I don't know if it's such a great idea for Nissan to bring over their luxury brand especially since their cars aren't exactly luxurious (well not to the same degree as Lexus/Toyota). We'll wait and see how they market their cars but I think they'll need to upspec their cars and make them far more civilised if they are to break into the luxury crowd. After all, the 370z is already considered quite agricultural, I don't see how a sedan or grand touring version of this would really beat the likes of e92 coupes and the like... unless they are significantly undercut on price in which case it would form a new niche competing with luxury VW's etc.

As for Acura/Honda... I still don't get what/how it's a luxury car. From what I can tell, they have very similar specifications to Hondas. Anyone here got any more info on the differences?

Maxima vs Liberty vs Mazda6... I'd pick Liberty on performance because it's got the best cred, but I do like the Maxima. To me, the Mazda6 is always going to be a very common car and isn't luxury in any way. Of course MPS6 is a bit different but in that pricing territory, there were always better performance options available (Evo's, STI's, even Liberty's)... hence no new model for the new Mazda6.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
If they brought G37s here holy fuuuu.

In the US Honda = Civic, Accord, CRV etc. and their utes and stuff.
Acura = Accord Euro (TSX), Specc'd Accord w/ bit different body (RL) etc.
They are similar in terms of engines and such because well, they have the same engines, but the Acuras are slightly different because traditionally Honda in the US has been a budget brand.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh Subaru has managed to make all their latest cars fugly... ever since the Tribeca, the deevolution began.

benv

HSC
Well Ive continued to do abit of research and decided that I dont want a european car and that i will go with jap cars. And I have narrowed down all my options to two cars...as well as being a family car, I also wanted that sporty finsih..therefore my 2 choices with reason...

1. Toyota Aurion ZR6 - Comes with a wave load of luxuries and a hefty 200kw.
2. Lexus IS250 - Even more luxuries but only a 153 kw engine. But i get a badge aswell

but im not sure which one to go with
could someone please give me the pros and cons for these cars??

astroe

HSC
Yeah, you're not going to turn heads in an Aurion. :p
It's more for your own comfort, not so much a "look at me car", which I'm assuming you'd want if you're going to spend so much.
The fact that the Aurion is sold to fleets and depreciates quickly for being a large car also does not help.

Lexus all the way! My only concern is that there's already been a updated half-life model released last year, so the new generation can't be too far away I'm assuming.

The problem is you might go over your budget by a few thousand, if you choose to order one brand new and completely stock.
Carsales currently has a few of these '09 facelifted models with the optional sat nav system for between $51-$55k, with only about 18,000-20,000 kms done on it.
Lexus, like all other manufacturers, will be looking to get rid of their '09 stock so maybe you'll be able to get a brand new bargain.

Last edited:

benv

HSC
Has anyone driven an IS 250?? Just wondering how good it was, probably should go take a test drive one of these days

benv

HSC
I also realised that the lexus has a flappy paddle gearbox, thats awesome!!

astroe

HSC
Noo, the flappy paddle gearbox is in the $136,000 IS-F model. :p
You also get a 5.0L V8. :)

I've ridden in an IS250 - not driven, but nevertheless, the complaints of tight rear seating are somewhat justified.
I mean you can sit down I suppose, but real estate is tight, not having acres of space like some monstrosity, i.e, Falcodore or something. :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's not the sportiest of cars but it'll get you where you want to go and you can accelerate hard if necessary. It's quite comfortable but IMO get the satnav. Without it, the interior looks a bit mismatched (in terms of the different LCD screens).

benv

HSC
Carsales - 2007 LEXUS IS250 GSE20R SPORTS LUXURY $43,712

Aren't those metal things behind the steering wheel a flappy paddle? :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)