Good/best car between 40 - 60k (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It has paddle shifters if that's what people are getting at... but I'm not sure what 'flappy paddle gearbox' means exactly. Is it just an ordinary automatic with paddle shifts, or is it a dual clutch transmission with paddle shifts? They are two very different things. Paddle shifts have been available for yonks but it doesn't mean they're good.

astroe

HSC
Oooh, my bad.

So it does come with flappy paddle gearbox.
And, I don't think it matters which paddle gearbox it is, as long as you can flip the paddles and make the car more fun to drive. :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think what serimfy is getting at is that the paddle shifters in the Lexus are sort of imitation shifters, in that, it is similiar to the 'semi automatic' position in an average new corolla. Instead in the Lexus that feature is in the form of paddles. Its sort of an imitation because the change in gears sort of i think happens electronically, as opposed to true paddle shifters found in the new golf and supercars where there are multiple clutches and as you shift there are instantaneos mechanical processes that change gears.

I'm sure serimify will explain.
Pretty much what you said mate.

There's a difference between tiptronic and dual clutch transmissions. The first one is basically a normal automatic transmission which has a manual shift feature but it's still fundamentally an automatic based on a torque converter. This technology has been around for decades and you'll see alot of cars which have an automatic with a +/- option... some even have paddle shifts.

The second is a totally different transmission model based around the design of dual clutches for shifting quickly and is typically used in performance cars. Either way unless you are truely concerned about performance (which I doubt the original poster is since they want performance and luxury under 60k), most will be happy with the normal automatic transmission. Newer automatics such as the 370z and in German sedans have between 6 and 8 gears and are pretty good at picking the right gear.

benv

HSC
Yep thanks!!
So pretty much reckon that lexus is the way to go! Reasonably powerful, Very sexy looking, got some badge, (maybe some vadge lol) and very classy. Second hand one is the way to go so that it comes under the 60k bracket but it will only be like a year or so old so sounds sweet, now just need to get some money off my parents and all is good !!!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep thanks!!
So pretty much reckon that lexus is the way to go! Reasonably powerful, Very sexy looking, got some badge, (maybe some vadge lol) and very classy. Second hand one is the way to go so that it comes under the 60k bracket but it will only be like a year or so old so sounds sweet, now just need to get some money off my parents and all is good !!!
A brand new one will be around the $60k mark so I'd go for that if you want trouble-free motoring and the benefits of new car ownership (warranties, roadside assist, etc.. ) which may not otherwise be transferrable. That being said a used one with the luxury (satnav) pack and moonroof/etc might be available. The IS seems to offer good performance for what I think would be your driving skill level (P plater) and won't overwhelm you or anything.

LOL have fun in uni/college/whatever you do post-HSC because as I noted in another thread, kids who have parents that buy them luxury sedans for first car out of highschool end up being the butt of many jokes. Better off buying a car which doesn't have the luxury car badge but is just a good car (e.g. the Liberty crowd).

ps. Nice ATAR :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's a comfortable car to drive and more than suitable for an 18-19 year old's driving ability. The stigma of the car being aimed at an older audience however is something else.

benv

HSC
the is250 drives like shit, my bro has one, awful steering
Nooo! lol exactly the stuff i dnt want to hear

anyway im not going to be cornering hard or taking it to the track and definately going to be very careful with it unlike some people who have BMW Z4s and slam them along the highways and many normal roads, haha no way im doing that to a lexus lols

benv

HSC
A brand new one will be around the $60k mark so I'd go for that if you want trouble-free motoring and the benefits of new car ownership (warranties, roadside assist, etc.. ) which may not otherwise be transferrable. That being said a used one with the luxury (satnav) pack and moonroof/etc might be available. The IS seems to offer good performance for what I think would be your driving skill level (P plater) and won't overwhelm you or anything.

LOL have fun in uni/college/whatever you do post-HSC because as I noted in another thread, kids who have parents that buy them luxury sedans for first car out of highschool end up being the butt of many jokes. Better off buying a car which doesn't have the luxury car badge but is just a good car (e.g. the Liberty crowd).

ps. Nice ATAR :p
Thankyou!

benv

HSC
also if you buy a brand new one you get the glory of Lexus Encore Priviledge program.

Apparently its what really got the badge going. Basically if you have scheduled services a member from lexus come and pick you up, drop you of or even give you a proper courtesy car until the servicing is done. There are also other benefits that are raved about.
As much as I would love to get a brand new one and one of my friends dad bought a new lexus and i saw all the extras he got with it and i have to say its so awesome!! but i cant because..
- It costs $61 292 (which is not a problem) but i get slapped with a govt luxury car tax of approx 10% or something (not sure how much/how it works) + greenslip
and therefore bumps the price close to 70k

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Isn't LCT included in the driveaway price which you mentioned? According to IS 250 Price & Options - Lexus Australia , the $61292 is the driveaway price for a prestige auto IS250 in NSW including LCT but not including insurance. If you are struggling to pay for insurance or are worried about LCT then you shouldn't be buying a luxury car.

I still think you would be better off buying one of the many cars which are more about drive/luxuries than badge which will leave you labelled as something undesirable but hey, your choice. Either way, you'll see what I mean once you start uni.

benv

HSC
Isn't LCT included in the driveaway price which you mentioned? According to IS 250 Price & Options - Lexus Australia , the $61292 is the driveaway price for a prestige auto IS250 in NSW including LCT but not including insurance. If you are struggling to pay for insurance or are worried about LCT then you shouldn't be buying a luxury car.

I still think you would be better off buying one of the many cars which are more about drive/luxuries than badge which will leave you labelled as something undesirable but hey, your choice. Either way, you'll see what I mean once you start uni.
Wow didnt see that prices included LCT but cool, money isnt too much of an issue but its just that when my dad bought his car he payed close to 8k for luxury tax on top of the original purchase price, but 60k was just the budget. in that case 61292 works out alright but then again i wouldnt mind having the other extras like satnav and so that model costs like 84k ish which i dont want to spend, but i was just thinking that wouldnt it be better if you got a year older model but the top of the line, so u get all that extra stuff...

u think so?? or just go for the lower end new one

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
fwiw dealerships are only allowed to quote the driveaway prices in ads - online/radio/print/tv etc. It's to stop all the idiots that don't realise they're going to get charged a tonne by the dealer/govt.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
fwiw dealerships are only allowed to quote the driveaway prices in ads - online/radio/print/tv etc. It's to stop all the idiots that don't realise they're going to get charged a tonne by the dealer/govt.
I remember that coming in but then it got repealed less than a month later... can't remember what the final rules/laws were but it wasn't as strict. I think they only required prices which weren't driveaway to explicitly mention they were not including taxes.

As for a 2nd hand IS250... hmm... I think the OP should broaden their car selection. You also won't even appreciate the luxury car engineering if you start off on something so good. If it were me, I probably would pick a different car as there's no real point buying a badge for that money without any of the real goodies from it. The IS250 does tick the right boxes but after taking into account circumstances and so on, I think I would probably go down the Accord Euro route actually.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
ah didn't know it got repealed. Regardless, saying that the price includes additional charges is exactly the same as what they used to do anyway???

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ah didn't know it got repealed. Regardless, saying that the price includes additional charges is exactly the same as what they used to do anyway???
I don't think so... I'm pretty sure in the past they were allowed to just say RRP $XXX without the caveat but I am no expert in this.

EDIT: Look at ACCC New Car Pricing Turnabout | The Motor Report: Auto News And Reviews

The ACCC said however that it should be made clear whether a published price is a drive away price or not, and that the term “recommended retail price” should be abandoned and replaced with “recommended price before statutory and delivery charges”.

benv

HSC
Is the LCT on new cars only or second hand cars aswell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)