Good-bye Glasshouse (1 Viewer)

bob.rks

HSC
yes this truly is shocking. whatever happened to the days of opinion? disappointed in television in general for letting this show go. if chaser goes also in this so-called shakeup... disaster.

purplemonkey

HSC
edit: I just read the articles (thanks euskadi)...thats a load of bullshit in my opinion...ITS THE BLOODY BEST SHOW ON TV....how could they axe it, the wankers?! In the words of Hughesy "I'm angry!" :angry:

aaron.mac

HSC
No doubt the new anti-bias laws at the abc influenced this. Its pathetic really, because satire is just satire - and really, is there better comedy on T.V.? (oooohhh Australian stereotypes on the wedge - how original)

No doubt the chaser is in the ABC's sights as well - they get away with more than the glasshouse, and if that gets axed, well what FTA networks are going to support these shows?

HSC
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3847232a12,00.html

Aust PM denies involvement in comedy show axing
02 November 2006

SYDNEY: Australian Prime Minister John Howard has denied pressuring the ABC to axe a popular television comedy show because of its perceived anti-government bias.

The Glass House, a weekly panel show on the Australian government-funded network, featuring comedians Wil Anderson, Dave Hughes and Corinne Grant, regularly pokes fun at Howard and US President George W Bush.

The show will screen its last episode on November 29 amid the highest ratings of its five-year history, and its stars say they haven't been given an adequate reason for its demise.

"I have not axed the program," Howard told Adelaide radio 5AA yesterday.

"If it has been axed, then it has been axed by a decision of the ABC, I haven't asked that it be axed."

Howard said he occasionally watched the program.

"I do not tell the ABC what programs it should run. I respect the independence of the ABC.

"From time to time, if the ABC treats a news item in an unbalanced fashion I will say so, and I will say that in relation to other programs as well."

The ABC head of arts and entertainment, Courtney Gibson, said it was a simple decision.

"It has everything to do with economics and nothing to do with editorial policy."

But Grant told the Sydney Morning Herald she was told of the decision five weeks ago without explanation.

"They have said we've had five great years and that's it. They haven't given us or anyone else a very good reason."

Hughes said the show was currently enjoying its best ratings.

News of the show's demise comes a day after the Liberal New South Wales senator Connie Fierravanti-Wells said Grant had been guilty of a serious conflict of interest because she was the public face of the Australian Council of Trade Union's (ACTU) workplace relations campaign.

It also follows revelations the ABC will pay a new chief censor $A280,000 ($NZ327,000) a year to investigate and monitor instances of bias on ABC programs.

BlackDragon

HSC
i actually didn't find the glass house very funny. especially corine. she is not very funny at all.

the chaser on the other hand, is great. and should never be axed. not that it is going to be.

Pilgrim

HSC
this is fucking stupid. australia needs some laws reguarding free speech.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
two more! better enjoy it before it goes...

damn it. i missed this weeks ep, only saw two minutes of it... :(

do you think that.. TVS station would be nice enough to broadcast the glasshouse? :p i don't think it's government controlled.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
aaron.mac said:
No doubt the new anti-bias laws at the abc influenced this. Its pathetic really, because satire is just satire - and really, is there better comedy on T.V.? (oooohhh Australian stereotypes on the wedge - how original)

No doubt the chaser is in the ABC's sights as well - they get away with more than the glasshouse, and if that gets axed, well what FTA networks are going to support these shows?
The chaser guys told a pub full of students at USyd that the show was probably going to be axed over a month before this bias thing ever came up.

jooobl

crazy cat lady
HSC
Yeah poor Corrinne. I'm gonna miss the glasshouse

Did anyone notice the mistake they made at the start of the show with the awards... They had the words eksalince for politics award on the screen then they presented the sports award. I was like HEY! they made a mistakke! :eek:
Yeah I always notice things like that

ALLLICE

HSC
jooobl said:
Did anyone notice the mistake they made at the start of the show with the awards... They had the words eksalince for politics award on the screen then they presented the sports award. I was like HEY! they made a mistakke! :eek:
Yeah I always notice things like that
uhhh, I'm pretty sure that was done on purpose

klh

HSC
boo hoo, i went and signed a couple of the online petitions too. dag nabbit.

Corrinne I noticed was crying, and Will was comforting her a bit. shame, and very sad.
well, if we do see them wash our windscreens, we can remind them of that time they were the world to many.

L

littlewing69

Ahhh, the dangers of paying out the government which signs your paycheck.

HSC
klh said:
boo hoo, i went and signed a couple of the online petitions too. dag nabbit.

Corrinne I noticed was crying, and Will was comforting her a bit. shame, and very sad.
well, if we do see them wash our windscreens, we can remind them of that time they were the world to many.
It's so annoying that all the good shows are axed. :( :(

Oh well... hopefully another station will pick it up? I doubt it, but that would be good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)