• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Good Electives (1 Viewer)

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
Hi people!
How is everyone?

Alright, I'm doing the Fin + Accy double and I've just finished figuring out my course structure for the remainder of my degree(s). Now I need some recommendations on good electives to choose.

I've already got BBA102 and MKTG101 for accred. with the Institute of Banking & Finance.

I'm kinda thinking of chucking in more Econ. units, as I find that stuff interesting. But, if there's anything else in the way of finance, accounting, statistics, philosophy, et cetera (whatever!), that you liked/found interesting, or even units that look good to employers, then give us the down-low on it, cuz I'm having some trouble deciding here!

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Where do you want to end up? As in post-grad studies/job/etc?

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
I'm interested in the finance industry, particularly investment. I was thinking of doing the Masters in AppFin and Investment from Finsia eventually. Either that or getting CFA accredited.

If I can't go straight into a finance job, then I plan to use my Accy degree as the backup, get CA accred., then move into finance from there.

X

xeuyrawp

To be honest, if I was in your place, I wouldn't do a different elective unless I knew I would do well. Especially considering your degree, for you, is very vocational.

It would be so frustrating to get a F in PHIL131 and having to do another unit simply because you wanted to try something different near the end of your degree. I'd go for an ecos unit?

Tabris

HSC
I am currently in Appfin/Eco degree (Comm/Law next year), I would suggest somethign interesting in your studies instead of all thar hardcore boring number curnching units.

I suggest u do ECON235 Economic Development, I got a HD in this subject and is very enjoyable, far fewer asians and 50%+ foreign european students. Excellent lecturer who knows his stuff and no maths at all.

The unit focuses on the poorest 2/3 of the world economy, whya re they poor, whats been done to help the poor. Its excellent in covering the main economic issues/problems in the developing world.

• Historical Experience and Major Theories of Economic Development
  • Income Distribution and Poverty
  • Population Growth and Economic Development and Rural-Urban Migration
  • Issues of Education and the Agricultural Sector in Development
  • International Aspects of Development: The Structure of World trade: The Classical Arguments for International Trade - Static Allocative Effects and Dynamic Growth Effects
  • Trade Policies in Developing Countries: Export Promotion, Import Substitution, and Economic Integration
  • Economic Growth and Development
  • Sustainable Development
  • The World Bank, IMF and Structural Adjustment
  • Third World Debt and Foreign Aid
  • Health, Nutrition and Development

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Ktulu-Spiral said:
I'm interested in the finance industry, particularly investment. I was thinking of doing the Masters in AppFin and Investment from Finsia eventually. Either that or getting CFA accredited.

If I can't go straight into a finance job, then I plan to use my Accy degree as the backup, get CA accred., then move into finance from there.
I plan on completing (starting this semester) the Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance and Investment by the end of next year (with a view to do Masters, if things plan out that way).

Some subjects which I would have considered helpful are:
ACCG350 - For C2; you spend about 3 of the 9 topics on Ratio Analysis.
MATH135/136 - For M01; you need basic knowledge of matrix algebra and differential calculus.
STAT270 - For M01; you need basic concepts of statistical concepts and test.
ACST201 - Helpful to have a good idea of some of the quantitative stuff.

Those are the electives I would have taken if I'd have know from day one. I only did STAT270 and ACST201. (Those 5 electives would also completely satisfy your requirement for the Accounting single degree, along with your core subjects)

You going to directly get into Masters or use the Graduate Diploma route. I'm taking the latter. You actually don't end up losing any time/money if you do well enough in 6 Graduate Diploma subjects.

Also, depends on what electives you decide on, other subjects may also help. I haven't decided on what I'd like to do, so you may want to look into that (and tell me!).

edit: LOL @ Tabris...the subjects I mentioned have no number crunching at all....:uhoh:

Last edited:

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
Tabris said:
I suggest u do ECON235 Economic Development, I got a HD in this subject and is very enjoyable, far fewer asians and 50%+ foreign european students. Excellent lecturer who knows his stuff and no maths at all.

The unit focuses on the poorest 2/3 of the world economy, whya re they poor, whats been done to help the poor. Its excellent in covering the main economic issues/problems in the developing world.
Yeah, I had a look at that unit, it definitely looked interesting. Have you done any other Econ units that you liked? Like, I enjoy good old Macroeconomic Principles, hehehe, and I wouldn't mind doing more similar units.

redruM said:
Some subjects which I would have considered helpful are:
ACCG350 - For C2; you spend about 3 of the 9 topics on Ratio Analysis.
MATH135/136 - For M01; you need basic knowledge of matrix algebra and differential calculus.
STAT270 - For M01; you need basic concepts of statistical concepts and test.
ACST201 - Helpful to have a good idea of some of the quantitative stuff.
Thanks for this redruM, very helpful as usual. I've already planned on doing ACCG350 and ACST201 as part of my core subjects. I'll have to consider STAT270 and MATH135/136. But I will have already reached my 100-Level Unit maximum for my degree of 30 credit points, because I've done MKTG101, and I'm doing BBA102, so I can get accred. with the Institute of Banking and Finance.

MATH135/136 are equivalent to two unit HSC mathematics, right? I did three unit maths in year 11 and dropped down to two unit in year 12. And I've been planning to go back over and kinda redo year 12 maths in my own time, just so that any future number-crunching units come to me easier. I've had no trouble so far, but I'm naturally a 'qualitative-person', and I'd like to strengthen my quantative/number skills.

What do you think? Can I do MATH135 separately from my degree somehow? Non-award, or something?

Also, redruM, are you doing your Grad.Dip. while you work for one year, then commencing your CA after you finish your Grad.Dip? That's a cool time-saving strategy you got there. You're doing the Grad.Dip through Finsia, right? Which means you won't be doing your CFA?

Last edited:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Ktulu-Spiral said:
Thanks for this redruM, very helpful as usual. I've already planned on doing ACCG350 and ACST201 as part of my core subjects. I'll have to consider STAT270 and MATH135/136. But I will have already reached my 100-Level Unit maximum for my degree of 30 credit points, because I've done MKTG101, and I'm doing BBA102, so I can get accred. with the Institute of Banking and Finance.

MATH135/136 are equivalent to two unit HSC mathematics, right? I did three unit maths in year 11 and dropped down to two unit in year 12. And I've been planning to go back over and kinda redo year 12 maths in my own time, just so that any future number-crunching units come to me easier. I've had no trouble so far, but I'm naturally a 'qualitative-person', and I'd like to strengthen my quantative/number skills.

What do you think? Can I do MATH135 separately from my degree somehow? Non-award, or something?

Also, redruM, are you doing your Grad.Dip. while you work for one year, then commencing your CA after you finish your Grad.Dip? That's a cool time-saving strategy you got there. You're doing the Grad.Dip through Finsia, right? Which means you won't be doing your CFA?
You're welcome. :)

I'm in a bit of a rush, so I might miss something...

Thats basically what I'll be doing. Finish the Graduate Diploma by the end of my first year of working. Then, begin my CA. I will try to get into the Masters after 6 subjects, so I don't waste doing an extra Graduate Diploma subject, but that is to be decided later on. In the best scenario I'll end up with a CA and Masters after 3.5 years of graduating! :D

Have a look at the details of the MATH subjects at their website: www.math.mq.edu.au In my opinion your math skills need to be stronger to do well in finance. You can always learn on your own, as you said. It is probably best if you contact SES regarding doing MATH135 or whatever if you exceed the credit point limit and its consequences...I get the feeling you will be allowed to do it, but may not count for your GPA/etc. Like I said, best to contact SES.

In my opinion you've got the two best electives covered. Stats isn't that hard to get on your own...and with Maths, its always about practice.

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
So, after you get your Masters, what are you thinking of doing career wise?

Kinda sounds like you're headed down the Financial Analyst path, which is something I'd like to try myself. I've even decided the industry I want to be involved with- energy/oil.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
If and when I do get the Masters, I am still undecided on what I'll be doing. In all honesty, I don't really know enough about the different financial roles, so I can't decide on it now.

I expect to pick up more things in the future as I get more exposure...And then it will pan out itself. For now I can do the core subjects without really worrying about about deciding on a career path 4+ years down the track.

edit: Just out of curiosity, what made you say that I'm taking the Financial Analyst path?

Last edited:

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
redruM said:
edit: Just out of curiosity, what made you say that I'm taking the Financial Analyst path?

I'm not sure, a lot of people wanna go down that path, a few years of working as an Analyst, then move into an Associate position. Lot's of money.

Judging by your recent posts, seems like you're doing a bit of soul-searching for the right career path.

I'm kinda doing the same at the moment. You found anything good yet? Hehe.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Ktulu-Spiral said:
I'm not sure, a lot of people wanna go down that path, a few years of working as an Analyst, then move into an Associate position. Lot's of money.

Judging by your recent posts, seems like you're doing a bit of soul-searching for the right career path.

I'm kinda doing the same at the moment. You found anything good yet? Hehe.
Nope, not really. One thing is for sure, I don't know my capacity to do accounting in the long term....*I think*. Maybe I'll love it once I start working....who knows?!?!

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
My girlfriend's older brother came out of UoW at the beginning of last year, staight into an auditing role with BDO. He didn't last six months. Now he's becoming a cop. It's got me worried now, which is why I'm desperately steering towards a finance career.

Could be a personal question, but what did Deloitte look at when they decided to take you on board? How were your marks? I'm just trying to gauge how well I need to perform.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Ktulu-Spiral said:
My girlfriend's older brother came out of UoW at the beginning of last year, staight into an auditing role with BDO. He didn't last six months. Now he's becoming a cop. It's got me worried now, which is why I'm desperately steering towards a finance career.

Could be a personal question, but what did Deloitte look at when they decided to take you on board? How were your marks? I'm just trying to gauge how well I need to perform.
The based their judgement on my smashing looks. ;)

The criteria that they use are; 60-65 average marks range, work experience and extra-curricular activities. This is to get you through the first round of call backs. From then on, they are judging you your personality/character/etc.

This might also explain it a bit more: http://community.boredofstudies.org/2442060/post-2.html

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
No problems. :)

When do you plan on doing the course at FINSIA...you are in second year right? I'm actually going to their office tomorrow to check out C1/2/3 in more detail. They are recommending against me doing 2 subjects at FINSIA with 3 uni subjects. I'll have another look at them. I'll post up stuff if I find something relevent.

(Time to work off the 2 lowenbrau steins :eek:)

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
I'm not looking to start anything new until after I finish my degree. And yes, I am in second year.

Yep, post up anything relevant. I'll have to start looking further into my post-grad options.

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
Ktulu-Spiral said:

lol i was gonna ask what a cop was, cuz i thought you meant like C.O.P as in something accg related. but yeh, thats a really big change in direction!

my marks aren't that great. actually they're pretty damn shitty. i'm scared!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)