Good pdhpe textbook (1 Viewer)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
We don't get given textbooks for PE but ones I know of are:
~Excel (contains year 11 and 12 and comes with study cards)
~Jacaranda Outcomes 2nd Edition (you can buy cards but it cost extra $$)
~Macqaurie guides
~a spiffy new shiney covered one, no idea what its called though :)

jest

HSC
outcomes is good and so are the study cards from jacaranda. i wouldn't recommend excel, found the info too summarised but the questions there are good for practise

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
^^The study cards are slightly out of date, well for health priorities anyway but I'm sure the rest are good. :)

adrenaline rush

Schoolies 1-18/Dec/06
HSC
Excel and Macquarie don't work by themselves, i wouldn't bother with them. Our school used PDHPE Outcomes which was really comprehensive, but most of the info was irrelevant. I'd go with this one, and if you can Health Moves gives a good summary if Outcomes gives you a meltdown.

HSC
I've got Outcomes, and it seems alright, but esp. for Core 1, a lot of the information (the statistics) were very outdated.

D.K

HSC
I used outcomes and the teacher assigned us with oxford "application and inquiry' textbooks. i got ma parents to buy the maquarie revision guide because it has alot of questions in it to answer and my teacher recommended it. I find that the oxford one has alot of information and the macquarie one has alot of questions which is what i need to study ect.. so i know i understand everything. its all about preference tho...

look up australian bureau of statistics or we were given a website for 'health priorities in aus.' which was www.aihw.gov.au and u click on subject areas then NHPA-Priority areas.

Last edited:

Tom2nv

HSC
hello again thanks for everyone's suggestions i was just wondering where i could borrow the books application and inquiry and jacaranda outcomes two from, like specific libraries as i have checked the local one's on the area and they dont seem to have those textbooks just so i can check them out first hand and them come to a conclusion based on that. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom2nv

HSC
Oh,sorry, i should of made myself more clear, i live in the sydney area more specifically eastern suburbs though i have searched the libraries near by and many seem to say the books are too specific or just plainly don't have it. I was just interested to know whether anyone knows of actual libraries which have this books so i can sign up and hire them out, anyways help would be nice cheers.

Go the gunners!

HSC
atm i'm using the outcomes one which isn't too bad... bit outdated with the statistics. We used the oxford one for the prelim course which i thought was one of the best.
Excel is a waste of time and $$!

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
Without Wings said:
Well everyone seems to have different opinions on what textbooks/study guides they like. If you are looking to purchase a textbook i'd recommend going to a store which stocks a wide range, such as Dymocks in the city and checking on which one you like the best, as the different styles and formats tend to compliment different people. Which one do you use at school?

Personally I used Oxford (PDHPE Application and Inquiry) and Health Moves as my main textbooks and these were pretty good (i prob prefereed oxford if i had to choose one). I wasn't really a fan of the Excel PDHPE...They have study cards which some ppl like, but i think the jacaranda study cards were probably better.

This PDHPE Checklist by the Board of Studies also covers the textbooks available and gives a little summary of them.
mm yeh we got the oxford one, but then our teacher has also bought one for all of us which is some other 'otcomes' one. we think the outcomes one appies it more witht he 'students learn how to' area of the sylabus instead of just teaching all of the stuff we need to learn. because, like really, we can all route learnt he shit we need, its how we can apply it in our exams thats the key.
and then we also got the maqcuarie guides each and im gonna get the PDHPE excel revise in a month.
So that = 4 textbooks!!!

Dan2008

HSC
Textbooks, if u want a Band Six, I'd get the four of these and make summaries from the lot

Jacaranda Outcomes, Oxford Application and Enquiry, Health Moves and Macquarie

Dont bother with Excel or Get Smart or any of that junk, they won't tell you anything

Last edited:

DanT

HSC
Outcomes is great for me personally. Very in depth and lots of relevant examples.

kara42

HSC
<3 Outcomes.
Also have some yellow one... can't remember the name... something to do with "application and inquiry".
And the Macquarie Revision guide.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Jacaranda Outcomes is good, it has basically all the information you need and is pretty well set out.

But instead of relying purely on their statistics / trends also have a look at the latest AIHW report (the latest is '08, you can download it online if you google it) because they tend to change slightly and you'll want to know the latest data.

sam5

HSC
my class uses outcomes - but it needs heavy summarising because it goes way into depth.

e.g. i do chem - and in one part of the outcomes text it went into how lactic acid will acidifies the blood, how it impact on enzymatic reactions and how it will dissociate into hydrogen ions and form hydronium!

just ridiculous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)