Good Scaling Subjects? (1 Viewer)

omnipotent

HSC
Im heading into year 11 next year, and im kind of confused on the scaling thing. I know that some subjects scale you up, and some scale you down.

Do the following subjects scale up or down, and which ones scale the best.

Chemistry
Physics
English Advanced
English extension 1
Information Technology (VET)
Software Design and Development
Legal Studies
Economics
Mathematics

I'm interested in all these subjects (except for maths) and perform well in all of them, just interested if some are worth doing more because of their scaling...
Thanks in advance.

shaon0

HSC
omnipotent said:
Im heading into year 11 next year, and im kind of confused on the scaling thing. I know that some subjects scale you up, and some scale you down.

Do the following subjects scale up or down, and which ones scale the best.

Chemistry
Physics
English Advanced
English extension 1
Information Technology (VET)
Software Design and Development
Legal Studies
Economics
Mathematics

I'm interested in all these subjects (except for maths) and perform well in all of them, just interested if some are worth doing more because of their scaling...
Thanks in advance.
Chemistry, Physics, Economics, Adv. English (compared with Standard) and Mathematics are quite good scalers but your VET course is not a very good scaler.

runnable

HSC
^ true.

VET would scale worst, followed by SDD,Legal.

omnipotent

HSC
scale badly as in scale you down from 90 to 70 or badly as in from like 80 to 79?
I want to do it because i hear its easy, it goes to your UAI and you get a certificate II out of it. Besides, im doing 12 units in year 12 so if it's a bad scaler, it doesnt go to my UAI and i still get a certificate..

shaon0

HSC
omnipotent said:
scale badly as in scale you down from 90 to 70 or badly as in from like 80 to 79?
I want to do it because i hear its easy, it goes to your UAI and you get a certificate II out of it. Besides, im doing 12 units in year 12 so if it's a bad scaler, it doesnt go to my UAI and i still get a certificate..
90 to 70

Borbor

HSC
Practically all subjects scale down except 4U maths. It's more about which subjects scales worse than others.

T

Take_It_Away

Obviously scaling varies from year to year, and there are a number of subjects which 'scale down'. It's more about how the subjects scale in contrast to each other. Have a play around with SAM to see how various marks in the subjects would contribute to your UAI.

That being said you should be choosing subjects you are interested in, not ones that have scaled well in the past.

btw if you put a mark of 90 into SAM it gives a scaled aggregate of 77.4 in 2005. In comparison to another subject, if you put a mark of 90 for Ancient History into SAM it gives a scaled aggregate of 77.8 in 2005.

aidin101

HSC
your subject marks get scaled on your rank, so if you do a good scaling subject and come in the bottom 25% u might as well do a subject which doesn't scale as well but will give u a higher rank say top 10 as doing a subject you can achieve will give you better scaling than a subject you can't achieve in

ccc123

HSC
shaon0 said:
Are you being serious?

God you people are ignorant.

Its not like BOS executives sit around a bid round table and decide which subjects scale up or down, and by how much. There's no set formula for scaling e.g scaled mark = mark- 20. It depends on the quality of the candidature, which will not be the same from year to year (although o concede there are trends). Nonetheless, I wouldn't be choosing subjects based on scaling.

JJmn

HSC
ccc123 said:
Are you being serious?

Its not like BOS executives sit around a bid round table and decide which subjects scale up or down, and by how much. There's no set formula for scaling e.g scaled mark = mark- 20. It depends on the quality of the candidature, which will not be the same from year to year (although o concede there are trends). Nonetheless, I wouldn't be choosing subjects based on scaling.

Apparent. Since you chose Gen Maths, Mod Hist, Legal and PDHPE.

runnable

HSC
ccc123 said:
Are you being serious?

But I must say the scaling of subjects does not fluctuate that much from year to year. The quality of the candidature remains roughly the same, thus leading to similar scaling factor. For certain subjects, it continues to attract lower quality cohort (Gen Maths) and some subjects continue to attract higher quality cohort (4U Maths).

Last edited:

JJmn

HSC
ccc123 said:
Your point being?

Is it not clear enough? I was just pointing out that you obviously do not care about scaling since you pick a lot of low scaling subjects.

ccc123

HSC
runnable said:
But I must say the scaling of subjects does not fluctuate that much from year to year. The quality of the candidature remains roughly the same, thus leading to similar scaling factor. For certain subjects, it continues to attract lower quality cohort (Gen Maths) and some subjects continue to attract higher quality cohort (4U Maths).[/quote]

This is true. However, individual performance is still arguably a more signficant determinant.

runnable

HSC
ccc123 said:
runnable said:
But I must say the scaling of subjects does not fluctuate that much from year to year. The quality of the candidature remains roughly the same, thus leading to similar scaling factor. For certain subjects, it continues to attract lower quality cohort (Gen Maths) and some subjects continue to attract higher quality cohort (4U Maths).[/quote]

This is true. However, individual performance is still arguably a more signficant determinant.
Indeed. But sometimes statistics beat individual's effort. For example, only about 10+ people get a Band 6 is Std English while a lot more people can get a Band 6 in Adv English. The effort to get a band 6 in std may not be less than effort needed to get to band 6 in adv IMO.

ccc123

HSC
JJmn said:
Is it not clear enough? I was just pointing out that you obviously do not care about scaling since you pick a lot of low scaling subjects.
I understood the implication you were making, I just didn't appreciate your condescending attack on my subject selection. Furthermore, from previous statistics, neither Modern History nor Legal Studies have trends of particularly low scaling, and I can assure you that regardless, my performance will negate any ill scaling effects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)