Good schools in Western Suburbs (1 Viewer)

Simorgh

HSC
Yeh it's pretty sad tho esp with the western Sydney stigma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soz but most of Western Sydney simply contains low socioeconomic areas, as a result most of those schools are not as great. Its pure reality unfortunately.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I fully agree with this. But a lot of people are too piss poor to be living in these areas and lot of them lie about their addresses to get into these schools like Cherrybrook.

Cherrybrook Tech is definitely not in Western Sydney and Carlingford is kind of borderline Western Sydney but not really. Their both in Northern Sydney.
Oh yeah true. This one dude in my school lied about his address and the principal/deputy admitted him in ahahaha. If they send letters home though, then there's going to be an issue (unless your aunty/uncle lives in that local area). You can try to enrol non-locally though although it's quite hard as usually spots are prioritised to local students and selective students

Well, cherrybrook tech is "north western sydney" hence I consider it "western sydney". It's like liverpool, that's in western sydney (technically south wester sydney

"Cherrybrook is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia 27 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of Hornsby Shire. Cherrybrook is located in the Northern Suburbs of Sydney"

Thing is idk whether or not there are any good schools in the illawara region though. I know there's Danebank, Sydney tech, st george, kogarah. IDK how good GRC or James Cook boys high is

Simorgh

HSC
"Cherrybrook is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia 27 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of Hornsby Shire. Cherrybrook is located in the Northern Suburbs of Sydney"
Read your quote. Cherrybrook is pretty close to Hornsby so its in Northern Sydney.
Oh yeah true. This one dude in my school lied about his address and the principal/deputy admitted him in ahahaha. If they send letters home though, then there's going to be an issue (unless your aunty/uncle lives in that local area). You can try to enrol non-locally though although it's quite hard as usually spots are prioritised to local students and selective students

Thing is idk whether or not there are any good schools in the illawara region though. I know there's Danebank, Sydney tech, st george, kogarah. IDK how good GRC or James Cook boys high is
Its not fair if people lie about their addresses. It creates an oversupply of students and the many problems that come with this. But at the end of the day what can schools do about it? Nothing.

Sydney Tech, Carringbah and St George are probs the only good schools around there.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Read your quote. Cherrybrook is pretty close to Hornsby so its in Northern Sydney.

Its not fair if people lie about their addresses. It creates an oversupply of students and the many problems that come with this. But at the end of the day what can schools do about it? Nothing.

Sydney Tech, Carringbah and St George are probs the only good schools around there.
Yeah true, but I just consider it part of north western sydney even though it really isn't ahahaha

True. Although the school is most likely going to consider your academics and such before you get a spot in the school mainly because schools don't want to enrol any random student from out of nowhere lol. I highly doubt the deputy/principal will be able to find out your real address (if you put a fake one on your school application) unless they physically go to the student's house (that's creepy af lol)

I thought Danebank was as well bc they ranked in the 80s

Edit: just realised no one mentioned anything about private schools like the Kings school

systematic

HSC
people are always gonna lie and fake addresses to get into good schools. Not much you can do. Just accept it as what it is and move on

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

Well, cherrybrook tech is "north western sydney" hence I consider it "western sydney". It's like liverpool, that's in western sydney (technically south wester sydney

You referring to Marist College Kogarah or Kogarah High School?

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
One thing about Sydney, is the kids are very well aware of what school and where each school is, and what type they are. (And even if they admit they have never heard of a school, deep down they know about it. They may think that their school is more superior)

My reaction when I came across a Year 9 student from memory he was at Killara, reaction when I said the name 'The Scots College'

Year 9 boy : "Oh...... good school"

Reaction when I came across a Year 12 student from The Scots College about Conservatorium High School

Year 12 boy: "Aren't they a music school?"

Think for me is first impressions can count very early on.

Bluee

HSC
I don't know how to say this but Western Sydney is kinda sh*t as a whole. Soz to anyone that lives there.

North Shore, Northern Beaches, Eastern Suburbs and maybe Inner West idk is an exception are the best places.

I live in the North so its like great and lot of good schools!

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I don't know how to say this but Western Sydney plus even the South is kinda shit as a whole. Soz to anyone that lives there.

North Shore, Northern Beaches, Eastern Suburbs and maybe Inner West idk is an exception.

I live in the North so its like great and lot of good schools!
^would agree

In western Sydney, the good public (excluding selective) schools are Carlingford high, sefton high, canley vale high, prariewood high, all those partially selective schools in the western sydney region and IDK whatelse there is

In the south it's Sydney tech, St george, Carringbah and I think Danebank

In the nothern suburbs, it's cherrybrook tech, moasman high, chatswood high, epping boys and I can't remember whatelse

Inner west there's Burwood girls (from memory)

They should make more selective schools (doesn't matter whether partially or fully) in western Sydney and down south

The inner west would prob need more partially selective schools

trecex1

HSC
^would agree

In western Sydney, the good public (excluding selective) schools are Carlingford high, sefton high, canley vale high, prariewood high, all those partially selective schools in the western sydney region and IDK whatelse there is

In the south it's Sydney tech, St george, Carringbah and I think Danebank

In the nothern suburbs, it's cherrybrook tech, moasman high, chatswood high, epping boys and I can't remember whatelse

Inner west there's Burwood girls (from memory)

They should make more selective schools (doesn't matter whether partially or fully) in western Sydney and down south

The inner west would prob need more partially selective schools
Sydney tech and st george girls are selective. Danedank is a private school, not public.
Edit: Caringbah High school is also selective.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Sydney tech and st george girls are selective. Danedank is a private school, not public.
Oh whoops, my bad again

Yeah IDK what good schools there are down in the southern areas, I think kogarah high and GRC? IDK. I can't remember their rank

Bluee

HSC
Besides just schools most things in Western Sydney are pretty much shit. I avoid going there even lel.

All I see of Western Sydney is people living on doles and government benefits, rundown things and etc. But yeah thats just my opinion I haven't actually been often to Western Sydney or felt what its like living there to make a proper judgement.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Besides just schools most things in Western Sydney are pretty much shit. I avoid going there even lel.

All I see of Western Sydney is people living on doles and government benefits, rundown things and etc. But yeah thats just my opinion I haven't actually been often to Western Sydney or felt what its like living there to make a proper judgement.
Nah it's bc Western Sydney is located in a low socio-economic area

I swear this thread has caused so much debate

Bluee

HSC
Nah it's bc Western Sydney is located in a low socio-economic area

I swear this thread has caused so much debate
Don't state the obvious. I mean why else do people who live there and Western Sydney itself get dogged so hard.

Bunch of immigrants, refugees plus the bogans make the area so bad and crime infested. Irony is I am an immigrant as well but thank god I never had to end up somewhere like Western Sydney.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Don't state the obvious. I mean why else do people who live there and Western Sydney itself get dogged so hard.

Bunch of immigrants, refugees plus the bogans make the area so bad and crime infested. Irony is I am an immigrant as well but thank god I never had to end up somewhere like Western Sydney.
I venture out to the Western suburbs of Sydney regularly. In terms of study ethic , I believe they are just as good as the Northern suburbs and Eastern suburb students. Big difference I can see is in resources, mental thinking and networks. I tutor a student way out in Ropes Crossing and he only has 1 borrowed General Maths textbook in preparation for his HSC exams. (borrowed from his school library) Personally, think I have spent around $500-$600 on General Maths textbooks alone. (I don't want to sound snobbish). I think in schools is alot of students have a belief 'my schools not good enough', ' living in the city is better'.......which is the attitude shown by that same student of mine. I also kind of admit , I was in that boat before, especially when I got to university, I just had this inferiority complex that the 'richer private school kids ' were better than me academically. If I can give advice to any student, is to study as hard as you can, get the right people behind you, and always believe you can achieve success, no matter who writes you off.

I think in a HSC year , personally think you have to have at least a couple of resources to go from. In my short time, I have managed to get him up from 23.75% (from half yearlies) to the highest performer in General maths in his class. (after trials) . I think you can shop around especially on gumtree or 2nd hand places for more books to help you. (you can get books for a bargain price)

I also have been to the UWS (or Western Sydney campuses in Parramatta, Kingswood and Bankstown) and no disrespect but the libraries are smaller and have a smaller collection of books. Also in my time, I do notice the students to be slightly rowdier, especially the ones in Bankstown, who to me came to uni to muck around.

tazmim

HSC
I venture out to the Western suburbs of Sydney regularly. In terms of study ethic , I believe they are just as good as the Northern suburbs and Eastern suburb students. Big difference I can see is in resources, mental thinking and networks. I tutor a student way out in Ropes Crossing and he only has 1 borrowed General Maths textbook in preparation for his HSC exams. (borrowed from his school library) Personally, think I have spent around $500-$600 on General Maths textbooks alone. (I don't want to sound snobbish). I think in schools is alot of students have a belief 'my schools not good enough', ' living in the city is better'.......which is the attitude shown by that same student of mine. I also kind of admit , I was in that boat before, especially when I got to university, I just had this inferiority complex that the 'richer private school kids ' were better than me academically. If I can give advice to any student, is to study as hard as you can, get the right people behind you, and always believe you can achieve success, no matter who writes you off.

I think in a HSC year , personally think you have to have at least a couple of resources to go from. In my short time, I have managed to get him up from 23.75% (from half yearlies) to the highest performer in General maths in his class. (after trials) . I think you can shop around especially on gumtree or 2nd hand places for more books to help you. (you can get books for a bargain price)

I also have been to the UWS (or Western Sydney campuses in Parramatta, Kingswood and Bankstown) and no disrespect but the libraries are smaller and have a smaller collection of books. Also in my time, I do notice the students to be slightly rowdier, especially the ones in Bankstown, who to me came to uni to muck around.
you've got a point tbh, but blue has somewhat a point too (minus the little superiority complex he has). i have lived in both north sydney (next to loreto even) and in pretty-western sydney. many schools on the western side are low on resources especially south west. luckily I have 3 great schools nearby (Hurlstones one of 'em but I aint saying which one Im going to).

but the lack of resources and teaching quality as well as peer's performance/motivation do affect many of the genuinely hardworking, aspiring and ambitious people. im not going to deny Blue's fact that the area has dole bludgers and migrant wog families who don't give a damn with problematic kids who don't give a damn. But mind's arent forever stable - the lack of resources and qualities led to these kids being hopeless and continue in the same routes as others/their parents since 'its for the best anyway'. If you don't even bat an eye to these situations and blame the youth, whose going to fix it? Its just going to continue in this sort of cycle.
But I honestly dislike students who genuinely don't give a damn but disrupt other people's learning process. I helped a kid in Year 8 and her class was too distracting for her. If I have managed to get her from 50% to 85% and 96% just by voluntary assistance teaching (and all I did was give her some problem solving questions), I think that shows whats going on in the schools.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC

Disclaimer: I live in Western Syd and go to UWS Bankstown.

I don't think it's offensive to call WS a shit hole lol it is, due to the many reasons that have been stated in this thread. There are definitely nicer areas, rich communities, gated communities, great public places, but it does not surprise me that no one who doesn't live here knows that.

I love my campus but I'm a hermit and don't go in the library and avoid general rowdiness.

pandaL

HSC
N/A
Girraween, Penrith (selective)
Parramatta (partially selective)
Cherrybrook Technology (non-selective but still a really good school)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)