Good stepping stone for finance students (1 Viewer)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC

What an opportunity. Shame i'm not good/educated in that field.

Last edited:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
I don't think you can link searches from seek. It isn't opening up.

Warning - your session on SEEK has expired and the page you have requested is no longer available. Please return to the SEEK homepage to restart your session.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Hey turtleface, what were you really aiming to get into at uni? It seems as if you missed the cut and ended up in accounting, and are now trying to justify it as a great career choice. I'm sure you find it great, and i'm sure its very important, however once was enough.

turtleface

HSC
I agree I have been a bit too overzealous, but I wasn't trying to be in the above post. I thought you were flogging Finance careers, so I thought I'd counter with some Accounting propaganda for good measure :). but then I realised you weren't being serious (hence the edit) so I apologise.

For the record, I'm on a uni scholarship and will be at a Big 4 job when I finish. But this means I won't bother doing law anymore. I've always wanted to be a Doctor though but a brain snap led me to put it second preference, so in a sense, yes I've missed the cut unless I quit and start again.

Anyway, enough of that bullshit about me, I'll take this opportunity to explain my motives. I don't mean you, but those 'accounting is for dicks who can't get into Finance or Law' mentalities that some people have is the reason why I constantly emphasise that Accounting> or at least =Finance

Also it really irritates me for some reason when people say "I hate Accounting but I love Finance".
All I can say is: WTF kind of weirdo makes an oxy-moronic statement like that? You obviously have no idea what either entails.

I'm gonna stop making pro accounting propaganda cause this is the second time someone's complained but I'll make one last statement.

ACCOUNTING PWNS ALL! (except med)

turtleface

HSC
but pretty much noone believes it if they didn't believe it before my rant, so who am I kidding?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Hmm, I think you need to forget the promotion of accounting. If you like it good on you. No-one minds.

turtleface

HSC
Having been deeply hurt by your insult in the other thread, I'll respond to say Accounting owns your ass

Sorry, I'm just tired, econometrics exam tomorrow, good night.

On another note, do you know promotions in Accounting firms are automatic*? So unless you screw up, you know what you will be earning and what your level will be in 1,2,3,4,5,6,10 years etc. Joy joy!!

*unless your incompetent

EDIT:eek:h wait, you meant "promotion OF accounting". Doh. I'll leave it in anyway, as a final legacy to my promotion of accounting

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
The post in the other thread was meant for your comment. Not every commerce grad goes on to earn whatever your cousin earns.

jpr333

HSC
Yes i would have to agree and say accounting (for me atm anyway) is leading to a much much more thorough understanding of commerce and business in general then doing say pure finance would ever render. It seems like finance by itself is pointless in terms of content, it feels like finance for dummies 101 or something. Accounting seems to cover (if not rip off) all the best of the pure maths in econometrics, androgenous tax requirements in tax and investment anlysis in finance and then show you how you would actually record and realise a profit.

And yes ive have also seen the 3 figure job salaries requiring a CA/CPA. So im with turtle face on this one (im one of your minions now!).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Reminds me of the bus driver recruitment adverts on Sydney Buses;

Now people queue to see me

... and someone had written below it- "exciting prospects".

RIZAL

HSC
seremify007 said:
Reminds me of the bus driver recruitment adverts on Sydney Buses;

Now people queue to see me

... and someone had written below it- "exciting prospects".

hahaha rofl...yeah i've seen CPA/CA ads along those lines

(btw i have nothing against accountants...but feel the need to balance out the propaganda)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The thing which really sucks is the CPA adds look considerably better (and more professional) than the CA's stupid no-numbers ones...

turtleface

HSC
no its not like that. accountants know all about incentives and utility maximisation

There is a ranking system, so that high performers get more than poor performers at the same level. eg. a high performing AM may be on 80 but a low performing AM may be on 70

Also there are advance promotions (early promotions) for high achievers, so you're at a higher rank 6 months/year earlier etc.

There is no automatic promotion to high levels (e.g. Partner)

This only applies for at least 2 of the Big 4 firms

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What did he contradict? I think what he said is pretty accurate- there is automatic promotion, but different people will get promoted by different amounts. I also know some firms (one of the Big4) where everyone who is undergraduate gets promoted at same levels (UG1, UG2, etc...) but that's probably due to them being... well, undergraduates!

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
rofl this accounting propaganda bs is annoying

if u like it, thats great, but theres no need to try to make it sound like king shit compared to ppl with aspirations in other fields (same goes for non accounting ppl dissing accounting)

everyone has different interests, career aspirations blah blah blah... no need to try to make ur area sound superior

eg: "actuary is accountant's slave" <-- lame lines like this

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Shuter said:
His first point was how he liked accounting because he would know exactly what pay he would be at in future etc.

Then he made the point of how flexible promotions are in accounting and not everyone will be at the same level down the track.

Contradiction?
I can see why you call it a contradiction but I'm guessing (and this is how I interpretted it initially) that basically, he knew that in the future he'd be on a decent wage within a certain range (because that's how I perceive accounting) whereby as long as you do a half-decent job, you know you'll end up with a decent wage; but also taking into account promotions, you know that if you excel and are absolutely brilliant, there are promotional opportunities which will reward you for your efforts.

I know this sounds like propoganda- but I'm pretty sure that method of thought can be applied to more fields than just accounting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)