Good subjects? (1 Viewer)

decadentDee

HSC
I was just wondering if the subjects I'm doing right now will offer me a good ATAR (somewhere in the mid 90s). There's 14 units atm and I also need advice on whether to keep 12 units, or stick to 10 units completely

- English Advanced
- English Ext. 1
- Maths 2U
- Maths Ext. 1
- Biology
- Business Studies
- Legal Studies
- Music 1

Which are the good/decent/bad subjects? Thanks!

saberbladexx

HSC
Its now really about the subjects which will get you the ATAR, its about the marks you get in subjects which matter aswell.

Most of the you're subjects decent/good anyways.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
mathematics from experience has been an excellent source of efficient marks.
assessments are mostly class tests or exams, no assignments or pointless case studies.

rachierach

HSC
Keep 14 as long as you can or at least 12 or 13, that way you'll have something to fall back on for a good ATAR if you don't get the marks in one or two subjects. See which one you're best at and go from there, maybe drop something after midcourse if you can't handle it, at least do a term. I did my prelim with 14 units and dropped to 13 for hsc.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Keep 14 as long as you can or at least 12 or 13, that way you'll have something to fall back on for a good ATAR if you don't get the marks in one or two subjects. See which one you're best at and go from there, maybe drop something after midcourse if you can't handle it, at least do a term. I did my prelim with 14 units and dropped to 13 for hsc.
Ridiculously bad advice. Drop something after midcourse? Why would you do that, when you can just not enrol in the course and have time up your sleeve to improve every other subject. Eckh. First of all, I'd go the 10 units. But only if you feel really secure within those subjects. For the HSC I only did the subjects I knew I would do well in (and that I enjoyed- the most important!), and am averaging over 90 in every subject. I'm not super intelligent- I just chose the subjects I excel in, and find interesting. Many people talk of a 'security blanket', and I get it. Some people feel they need to have that to fall back on. But think of it this way- when you do have only 10 units, you have alot more time to put effort into those units than students doing 12, 13 do. If you're studious and conscientious, and USE your free periods, you can get miles ahead of your peers, and obtain outstanding marks. I think everyone should do 10 units. Truly.

_j-sbugs_24

HSC
Ridiculously bad advice. Drop something after midcourse? Why would you do that, when you can just not enrol in the course and have time up your sleeve to improve every other subject. Eckh. First of all, I'd go the 10 units. But only if you feel really secure within those subjects. For the HSC I only did the subjects I knew I would do well in (and that I enjoyed- the most important!), and am averaging over 90 in every subject. I'm not super intelligent- I just chose the subjects I excel in, and find interesting. Many people talk of a 'security blanket', and I get it. Some people feel they need to have that to fall back on. But think of it this way- when you do have only 10 units, you have alot more time to put effort into those units than students doing 12, 13 do. If you're studious and conscientious, and USE your free periods, you can get miles ahead of your peers, and obtain outstanding marks. I think everyone should do 10 units. Truly.
+1 - I'm doing 10 units =)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Don't do 14 units, that's way too much.

I suggest 10 or 11/12 if you want some &quot;back up units&quot; (but for the love of God don't make the back up unit some subject you hate and are doing absolutely crap in) with the very most being 13 units if you're super, super keen. From those subjects, you can get mid 90s with those subjects. However, keep in mind that music 1 has dodgy scaling compared to the other subjects and a major, so i suggest dropping it unless you absolutely love it. If you decide to keep it, just keep in mind that you need to get a much higher raw% in it compared to your other subjects to get the same scaled mark :)

Oh and there's nothing wrong with dropping a subject &quot;mid way through yr 11&quot; or even the beginning of yr 12. The workload for yr 11 is negligible compared to yr 12 (possibly nonexistent) so you could always keep all up to 13 units and just drop the one you hate the most/are doing the worst in later. That's what i did and i'm fine.

But yeah, 14 units is way too much.

Dyllip

HSC
Is 12 units plus 1 unit of extension history too much? Apparently people think history extension is more of a 1.5 unit course due to its workload.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Is 12 units plus 1 unit of extension history too much? Apparently people think history extension is more of a 1.5 unit course due to its workload.
Well i did history extension before for a total of 13 units and dropped. But, i was doing 4U maths as well whereas you are not so you should be fine as long as you're organised (btw i only mention 4U because i do more 4U than all of my other subjects put together lol).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)