good textbook on the Julio-Claudian family (1 Viewer)

pink668

HSC
hi, i would like to ask for any recommendations on textbooks that directly relate to the syllabus dotpoints on the Julio-Claudian family. at school, we are using bradley, but the information is kind of all over the place and you have teh string everything altogether.

thanks!

X

xeuyrawp

pink668 said:
hi, i would like to ask for any recommendations on textbooks that directly relate to the syllabus dotpoints on the Julio-Claudian family. at school, we are using bradley, but the information is kind of all over the place and you have teh string everything altogether.

thanks!
If you had time, why not dip into the primary evidence of Dio, Tacitus, et al?

I just used Bradley, and I found her fine for compiling initial notes. If you're after more, try HH Scullard's From The Gracchi To Nero which is the canonical modern text on late Republican and early Imperial Rome.

If you can't find what you're after if in the primary sources, in Bradley, and in Scullard, give us a yell! :)

Joe Geranio

HSC
N/A
How about Dio, Suetonius, Josephus, Tacitus, Seneca. There is so much on the web as far as Ancient Literary sources!! Have fun with it!!! Julio-Claudian History is the most interesting of all!!

Joe Geranio
The Portraiture of Caligula
portraitsofcaligula.com

pink668

HSC
hi, thanks for the recommendations- i have looked at some of the sources already and they're pretty useful. i would like to ask another question- one of the syllabus dot points studied is the 'year of the four emperors', but both scullard and bradley don't cover this dotpoint. i am not really sure how much detail i have to know about this point- the teacher kinda just skimmed over it and said it was insignificant.
i would like to ask you guys- what sources are good for studying this particular dotpoint- i have already looked at encyclopedias and websites- but they dont offer much info.
thanks

X

xeuyrawp

Joe Geranio said:
How about Dio, Suetonius, Josephus, Tacitus, Seneca. There is so much on the web as far as Ancient Literary sources!! Have fun with it!!! Julio-Claudian History is the most interesting of all!!

Joe Geranio
The Portraiture of Caligula
portraitsofcaligula.com
It's impractical to expect that year 12 students can read the primary sources without any prior knowledge. Most students wouldn't even know where to look.

Look at your prescribed textbook first, then any good other books like Scullard, then look at the primary sources mentioned in the first two resources.

pink668 said:
i would like to ask you guys- what sources are good for studying this particular dotpoint- i have already looked at encyclopedias and websites- but they dont offer much info.
That's my point.

Go to the sources listed in textbooks and in Scullard etc. The advantage of a textbook is that it points out good sources to follow up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)