• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Good Universities Guide 2006 UNSW vs USYD (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
stazi said:
ntb, that's because MQ may have a superior postgrad option to usyd/unsw
Yea I only noticed it was postgrad after I posted.
Still I would like to see the 'increase in sallary' instead of the 'starting sallary', since it's quite possible that people whom live in certain areas of sydney probably were already earning alot of money.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I don't think anyone seriously reads the Good Unis Guide before choosing which university to go to.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
§eraphim said:
I don't think anyone seriously reads the Good Unis Guide before choosing which university to go to.
You'd be surprised :p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
You'd be surprised :p
I don't think you're comparing apples with apples. Even though UNSW and USyd are the major unis in Sydney, Usyd is more than 200yrs old and UNSW is just over 50yrs old. In the long run, UNSW will overtake USyd at the rate it's going.

Also, as mentioned before each university has its strengths. Graduate outcomes for a Commerce or Engineering graduate from UNSW are significantly better than for a USyd graduate.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rofl, i don't think current trends would continue, more they'd be prone to plateau-ing and some serious decay once they get established (which both universities have already become).

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What about it?

It'll gain an initial influx, then plateau?

Alimoe_KG

HSC
I'm not surprised that usyd teaching is better than unsw. I remember UNSW being like second-last in teaching quality in another ranking lol. It's too research intensive to take care of us students :(

However, i am surprised by the results for economics since UNSW and Melbourne's Economics are the only two ranked in the top 100 in the world from Australia. But then again, that could be a result of research so meh.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Airness said:
If you go by the GUG, then one will also have to accept that USYD law is only ranked 6th in Australia, behind Griffith, UNSW, Flinders, Melb, Newcastle in that order. And that such respected law schools as Monash is ranked even lower. At least UWS is where it belongs.

http://www3.griffith.edu.au/03/ltn/issue_01/article_03.php
I can't be certain, but I think Wollongong was ranked #1 last year. From 1 to 17 in a year seems a bit much.

Also worth noting is that the survey is based on grads of 2002/3...so I'm not at all surprised of some of the results. I'd expect QUT, MQ, and Murdoch to rise signficantly in the coming years as all 3 law schools had major reforms in that period. (No UTS on that list??)

Having said that, I doubt many would pick Griffith over a sandstone like UQ Law.

phrred

HSC
Airness said:
I'm not surprised that usyd teaching is better than unsw. I remember UNSW being like second-last in teaching quality in another ranking lol. It's too research intensive to take care of us students :(

However, i am surprised by the results for economics since UNSW and Melbourne's Economics are the only two ranked in the top 100 in the world from Australia. But then again, that could be a result of research so meh.
do u hav the site for the economics rankings?

the GUG law thing sounds crap even tho UNSW is 2nd

Alimoe_KG

HSC
My apologies. I meant ANU and UNSW for the economics ranking thing. Although Melb is definitely close behind. In fact, every Go8 university except Adelaide is ranked relatively well in the various economics ranking systems used. However, only UNSW, ANU and Melb seem to be able to crack the top.

"Of particular relevance, a recent (2002) ranking of the Economics discipline placed ANU as the top Australian university in the 200 best performing institutions in economics, and in the top 51 institutions in the world. (The second highest ranking of an economics group in an Australian university is UNSW at 75; these are the only two Australian universities in the top 100). "

Source: http://www.acore.org.au/about/about_anu.asp

"There are a number of studies which construct worldwide ranking lists of economics research. In an extensive study Coupe (2000) uses 11 different ranking methodologies for publications and 3 different ranking methodologies for citations. For publications, Coupe (2000) finds only 2 Australian universities (ANU, UNSW) in his top 100 and a further 3 Australian universities (Melbourne, Monash, Sydney) ranked between 100 and 200. For citations Coupe (2000) finds 1 Australian university (ANU) in the top 100 and a further 4 Australian universities (UNSW, Monash, Melbourne, UWA) ranked between 100 and 200. In another study Kalaitzidakis, Mamuneas and Stegnos (2001) create a world ranking list based upon a set of top journals, where the journals are ranked by citation impact. Kalaitzidakis, Mamuneas and Stegnos (2001) rank 2 Australian universities in the top 100 (ANU, IJNSW) and a further 4 Australian universities (Melbourne, Monash, UWA, Sydney) are ranked between 100 and 200. There is also a recent study by Garcia -Castrillo, Montanes and Sanz-Gracia (2002) that produces a worldwide ranking of economics research. This study is based on publications in 55 journals over the period 1992 to 1997. This study finds that Australia ranks 6th in terms of countries which produce economics research in producing 1.169% of publications in these 55 journals. This study produces a rank list of the top 1000 organisations in the world, and there are 22 Australian organisations in the top 1000. Consistent with the findings of Coupe (2000) and Kalaitzidakis, Mamuneas and Stegnos (2001) there are only 2 Australian universities (ANU, IJNSW) in the top 100 and a further 3 Australian universities (Monash, Sydney, Melbourne) ranked between 100 and 200.....The summation of downloads based on each authors share across all the journals can be used to calculate a ranking list for Australian universities. UNSW top with 26.12% of downloads. The only universities to be ranked in the top 5 in both years are UNSW and Melbourne."

Source: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0PAO/is_2_22/ai_106142464

Affinity

HSC
**meanwhile life goes on at the two universities**

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)