• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Good words to use in essays (1 Viewer)

7minute

HSC
Trippendicular said:
What are some good words to use in essays/assessments that sound intellectual whilst being easily accessable. Post them and their meanings here
Teachers aren't stupid. Generally, sticking "good" words in essays and assessments here and there doesn't work. The teachers figure out that you're putting them in for the sake of it because they don't match up with the manner in which the rest of the work is written. In essays and assessments they are looking to see if you can a) understand a concept or idea and b) convey your understanding of said concept or idea. It'll sound (and read) much better if you just use your own words, which proves to the marker that you understand what you're writing about.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
To my knowledge its better to read books and gain vocab that way rather than spam urself with dictionary meanings for one essay. The point your trying to make becomes clouded by jargon and whilst it may look a little better, it will lose substance. Just practise your essays and read more books

shannonm

HSC
N/A
the floccinaucinihilipilification of this thread is rather imminent

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
quintessential. its great.

we had our whole eng ext class use that word at least once in our essays for our mid year.

X

xeuyrawp

Slide Rule said:
It's like teaching people to walk when they don't know how to crawl. But that's not the clincher: they're being taught to walk with their hands.
god you're annoying.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
absolution* said:
Just incase you think you are smart, youll find at least on a theoretical basis that the dual prefix of anti- and dis- in fact cancel each out leaving you with a rather mundane word.
Just because you're against the seperation of church and state doesn't necessarily mean that you support the establishment ;)

X

xeuyrawp

Argonaut said:
Slide Rule also happens to be a Benefactor, so he's more likely to be listed to than you.
sorry, I didn't know criticism wasn't allowed.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Grab a dictionary and learn.

One of my pet hates is pretentious people who use words they don't know the meaning of, just to sound cool.

I suggest you start with dictionary.com's word of the day archives: http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/
I like to use words I don't the know the definitions of in my essays...it makes me learn them in the first place, or else my essay wouldn't make any sense :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I like to use words I don't the know the definitions of in my essays...it makes me learn them in the first place, or else my essay wouldn't make any sense :p
Oh, no, I have nothing against people learning new words (and again I point you to Dictionary.com's word of the day feature - it is wonderful). However, when people just replace words in their essay with words from a thesaurus without actually checking/knowing what that word means - that bugs me... and teachers.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Oh, no, I have nothing against people learning new words (and again I point you to Dictionary.com's word of the day feature - it is wonderful). However, when people just replace words in their essay with words from a thesaurus without actually checking/knowing what that word means - that bugs me... and teachers.
Ah...but the guys who do that generally don't get away with it coz it looks so superficial e.g. "my bro is cool and down wit it, but his swearing is superfluous". Sounds kind of odd... :p - teachers can pick it up a mile away (as you mentioned)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Steal other peoples work than regurgitate it. That way, theres no need for learning new words or thesaurus'. I love HSC English. Really.

sladehk

le random
HSC
To get high marks in HSC English, my teacher said that you have to impress the marker with your grasp of English vocabulary. To do this just simply write strings of words that are made of really strange and complicated (the harder the better- its better if both you and the examiner don't know the words).

For example, if you were asked to write a sentence on a dog, and it was a 10 mark question:

1-2 mark answer: A four-legged animal
3-5 mark answer: A four legged carnivorous creature
4-7 mark answer: A four legged carnivorous creature that has been domesticated from wild wolves
8-9 mark answer: A four legged carnivorous creature that has been domesticated from wild wolves which has often been referred as "Man's best friend."

(To get the highest marks, you must utilize the most important and complex words man has ever known)
10 mark answer: Canis familiaris, fertal offspring, canine, female form = b*t*h, 1337K9, justf***ingoogleit...

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
katietheskatie said:
irony. seriously, english teachers go nuts over that word.
Quite true.
I don't know whether or not HSC English includes 'issues work' as part of the course work, but ... I had a former English teacher tell the class where possible look for 'juxtaposition' as a persuasive technique when analysing things such as articles and use it as the examination markers will be blown away!

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Hippopotomonstrosesquiptaliaphobia.

It's probably not the sort of thing you should use in an essay and I've forgotten what it means (possibly something about a fear of hippos), but it's the longest word in the English language so I thought I'd draw your attention to it.

garry007

HSC
N/A
need intellectual words? type your essay and then use either microsoft word thesaurus or another one to scavenge for synonyms

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Zoltan said:
Hippopotomonstrosesquiptaliaphobia.

It's probably not the sort of thing you should use in an essay and I've forgotten what it means (possibly something about a fear of hippos), but it's the longest word in the English language so I thought I'd draw your attention to it.
Ironically, it's a fear of long words :)

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Trippendicular said:
What are some good words to use in essays/assessments that sound intellectual whilst being easily accessable. Post them and their meanings here
Forget using intellectual words in your essays to get good marks. A better strategy would be to staple a nice $100 note to the back bage of each of your HSC exams...it will guarantee you a band 6 everytime!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)