Google ceases censorship, threatens China pullout (1 Viewer)

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
err..

see its not like at school where if we use a proxy and we're caught, we might get a warning.

in china they have the secret police who will bash you and put you into jail for accessing sites (not youtube.. but say, anti DRC sites)
Lol... the crappy firewall that the chinese government uses allows encrypted data through without checking where it's from. Why? because they simply do not have the resources or time to monitor the tens of thousands of people in china who get through. If you use a safe VPN with high encryption, that reduces your chance of getting caught to virtually none. Fuck the secret police, the government has far more important things to do than punish people for accessing facebook. It's probably just another scare tactic to put gullible people off from trying.

BlackDragon

HSC
Lol... the crappy firewall that the chinese government uses allows encrypted data through without checking where it's from. Why? because they simply do not have the resources or time to monitor the tens of thousands of people in china who get through. If you use a safe VPN with high encryption, that reduces your chance of getting caught to virtually none. Fuck the secret police, the government has far more important things to do than punish people for accessing facebook. It's probably just another scare tactic to put gullible people off from trying.
That's what Winston said.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Chinese nationalist detected.
yes i am, but your statement doesnt prove the previous statement, nor is my patriotic direction relevant to this discussion. wheres evidence?

zstar

HSC
N/A
Google are a bunch of hypocrites.

They have always engaged in censorship and continue to. Now they want to pull out because they couldn't adapt to the conditions of China and its laws.

Google agrees to take down racist site

They just agreed to take down a search result considered "offensive". Does that sound like free speech or censorship.

Furthermore if you type in the query Islam is...... on google you won't the same response as on other religions.

Bereie

HSC

They have always engaged in censorship and continue to. Now they want to pull out because they couldn't adapt to the conditions of China and its laws.

They just agreed to take down a search result considered "offensive". Does that sound like free speech or censorship.
You won't find the Encyclopedia Dramatica page if you search from google.com.au because Google Australia has to comply with Australian law. You will however find the page if you search from google.com or google hosted in other countries. A small point the media missed out on.

Furthermore if you type in the query Islam is...... on google you won't the same response as on other religions.
I see what you mean:

But, as history shows, you're not supposed to anger the Muslims with things like this. They dislike freedom of speech, criticism of religion and other such Western ideas. This has been shown in recent times with Salman Rushdie, the Denmark cartoons, Theo-Van gogh etc. Google isn't going to put it's many employees at risk. It's a sad situation that we have to create special rules and regulations for the Islams, but you know, there's nothing we can really do.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
You won't find the Encyclopedia Dramatica page if you search from google.com.au because Google Australia has to comply with Australian law. You will however find the page if you search from google.com or google hosted in other countries. A small point the media missed out on.

I see what you mean:

But, as history shows, you're not supposed to anger the Muslims with things like this. They dislike freedom of speech, criticism of religion and other such Western ideas. This has been shown in recent times with Salman Rushdie, the Denmark cartoons, Theo-Van gogh etc. Google isn't going to put it's many employees at risk. It's a sad situation that we have to create special rules and regulations for the Islams, but you know, there's nothing we can really do.

Those images are fakes.

sinophile

HSC
N/A

Google is a company, not a Government. It does not have the responsibility of providing transparency to its customers.

Bereie

HSC
Those images are fakes.
1. Go to google.com
2. Type in 'christianity is ', don't press search, see results
3. Type in 'islam is ', don't press search, see results. What results? None.

Is this a technical error? Hardly. Google does not want their employees killed by Muslims who would carry out their duty of Jihad against the West.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Oh. Well what the fuck, I saw it first on 4chan, so I thoguht it was a shoop. Apologies.

spartan31234

HSC

Chinese Nationalist detected!
So google censor some results in Australia, but its a company it can do what it wants to control its image. It should be congratulated!

Last edited:

zstar

HSC
N/A
Chinese Nationalist detected!
So google censor some results in Australia, but its a company it can do what it wants to control its image. It should be congratulated!
I'm pointing out googles hypocrisy, I am against Nationalism.

Furthermore there's nothing that guarantees freedom of speech in this country.

You already have hate speech law, defamation laws, harassment laws, anti terror and national security laws the ensure you will be arrested for saying the wrong things.

Don't believe in the lie of freedom of speech.

You only have less suppressed speech not freedom of speech.

murphyad

HSC

Actually there are a few bits and bobs in the common law. Someone with a bit more knowledge on this subject could probably back me up (or refute me if this is actually wrong)

You already have hate speech law, defamation laws, harassment laws, anti terror and national security laws the ensure you will be arrested for saying the wrong things.
Uh, yeah......to stop people from inhibiting the ability of others to speak freely. Although anti-terror laws have nothing to do with freedom of speech, they have to do with freedom of action, which is obviously different.

BlackDragon

HSC

Don't believe in the lie of freedom of speech.

You only have less suppressed speech not freedom of speech.
It is a mistake to think that anarchism will give us a greater level of freedom and free speech. We would be coerced to act in certain ways in an even more extreme manner, just by people that we don't know. Most laws against what people say are simply protecting people from harm, just not physical harm. Although I do agree that this sometimes goes too far, and that's called political correctness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)