• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Gosford Park (1 Viewer)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Alright, so our class has been watching this movie for the last few lessons but i couldn't really understand what they were saying due to their crappy accent and i've missed half of the lessons for one reason or another.

So can anyone give me a summary of what happened exactly? Something related to deception would be greatly helpful. Oh, and i plan to borrow the dvd one of these days but im just after a head start.

Thanks guys.

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
WARNING: I assume you mean you want the entire plot. If you don't want to know who dunnit yet (if you haven't already finished watching) don't read on.

Lots of stuff happens. To get us started, Mrs Wilson poisons William, Robert Parkes stabs him. Robert is William's bastard son, and wants to kill him from hatred. He doesn't know that Mrs Wilson is his mother, as he thinks his mother is dead. Mrs Wilson anticipates this and kills William herself, so that the police can never touch her son.

Mrs Croft is Mrs Wilson's sister; the enmity between these two stems from when Mrs Wilson gave up her kid for adoption (William actually just takes the kid to an orphanage) to keep her job. Mrs Croft also once got pregnant to William ('randy old sod') and lost her job to keep her child. The kid died anyway, so Mrs Wilson made Sir William take Mrs Croft back as a worker.

Anthony Meredith (m. to Lavinia, who is Sylvia and Louisa's sister) runs some sort of business which William is invested in or something. William is soon planning to pull out his funds, thus ruining Anthony. He is accused of trying to shoot William.

Sylvia, Louisa and Lavinia are sisters from a poor aristocratic family. Louisa and Sylvia cut cards to marry William, though Louisa and William actually like each other. Louisa marries Lord Stockbridge, whom Robert decides to work for to get to William.

Freddie Nesbitt is married to Mabel. She was the daughter of a factory owner or something; he married her for the money he thought her father had. It wasn't as much as he thought, so now he's poor with a wife he doesn't care for. There is/was something going on between Freddie and William's daughter Isobel. Freddie is trying to make Isobel convince her father to give Freddie a job, and he's using whatever happened between them to blackmail her.

Rupert is chasing Isobel cos he thinks she'll be rich when her daddy carks it. His friend Jeremy is the dark-haired one fooling around with the kitchen maid, Bertha.

Ivor Novello is William's cousin or something. He's an actor. His friend Morris Weissman, American director of the Charlie Chan films, has joined the shooting party for 'research' for his next film, 'Charlie Chan in London'. Weissman's 'manservant', Henry Denton, is acutally an actor also researching for the film. He tries to get a shag wherever he can, and Lady Sylvia is forthcoming.

Elsie, head maid, is having it off with William. She reveals herself accidentally on the night of the murder, so she'll lose her job. (As to her end, I reckon she'll become an actress in Weissman's film: he's looking for British girls, she has an interest in acting, and she looks the part).

Mary is the main character, so I s'pose I should've mentioned her first. She's newly hired by Lady Trentham (old windbag who lives off her allowance paid by William, who may shortly cut it off - until he dies). Mary uncovers the murder. Robert fancies her. She's pretty cute, and she turns out to be a loyal servant for Trentham.

The bumbling detective is messing up the case (note that he touches pretty much everything that has fingerprints: whiskey lid, whiskey glass, etc.). He is dumb, and his constable has more of a chance of solving the case, though probably won't as the links are too far apart to be made.

I can't really think of anyone else at the mo'.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
psssst...Don't you go over what has happened within the movie in classtime?? Anyways, by at least the third/fourth viewing you should pick up what is happening.

note* bertha is the name of the plump kitchen maid who does special favours for the upstairs guests.

Last edited:

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Twas a good movie, don't know how you could not watch it.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
too dark, too much glare, stupid accent.

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
I sort of liked it, especially Clive Owen :D.

But my annoying substitute EE1 teacher (and apparently the rest of the English department) seems to think that Bertha was having it off with Sir William when Mary goes downstairs to wash Trentham's shirt, when Bertha specifically said later on that Mary had interrupted her and Jeremy. It turned into a yelling match between us and the teacher. War has been declared. There's nothing like a good argument to make English interesting.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Nothing can make English even vaguely interesting.

afta???

HSC
not perhaps....this is an english luvers thread

my teacher not only makes english not interesting but make me hate it!

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
Hence the reason for my 5-year love/hate relationship with English. The language and literature, though often rubbish and not-making-sense, is wonderful. I will never stop reading - even if I go blind, I'll get Braille (sp?) books.

However, I hate my English lessons, which, as I have stated previously, would be better spent sleeping for all our teacher's ineptitude.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I hated my english teacher, but I loved everything we did except Jane Eyre *shudder*

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
My English teacher makes me hate nearly everything we do. Consequently, I hate Macbeth, and the poet whose name I can't remember, but they can never take Pride and Prejudice away from me!

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I loooove P&P. It's been on the ABC every Sunday night so I'm stoked I get my weekly Mr Darcy/Colin Firth fix.

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
Me also. :)

My mum owns that version (as well as the Hollywood one from 1940) on VHS, but I had to lend it to my school so that other classes (not mine) can watch it. And my class'll never get to watch it at school cos my teacher takes too long to get through stuff. I want my videos back!! I miss Firth!!! :(

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I want to buy it, but it's like 50 bucks from the ABC shop. I need to get rich before I can splurge like that.

What's the 1940 version like?

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
Kinda weird: B&W, starring Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson. Mrs Bennet is hysterical. Most people I've lent it to didn't like it, or just thought it was a bit odd. Still, if someone around you has it (unlikely), borrow it, cos it's worth it if only to appreciate the BBC version more. :)

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Yeah, I should be able to find it somewhere. I'll hunt around for it, I like Laurence Olivier.

afta???

HSC
toryn said:
My English teacher makes me hate nearly everything we do. Consequently, I hate Macbeth, and the poet whose name I can't remember, but they can never take Pride and Prejudice away from me!
john foulcher is his name....i reckon ill hate him too if not of the substitute who shone light on our dark and disgusting english lessons

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)