Got a question about cars? (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
It is highly unlikely to be the starter motor. Check all the fuses. Most likely there is a short somewhere in the wiring harness this could possibly have caused the radio to cut out and now blown a fuse meaning you can't start.

Unfortunately whilst the fix is simple the cost is not. Expect to pay an auto-electrician $60+ p/h to find the problem. The alternative is a dodgy alternator or dodgy distributor. Pray for these as they will likely be a cheaper fix.

HSC
hey, does anyone know if u can get a body kit for a 98 ford festiva, i know it dosnt seem worth it but i want my lil' beast looking hot and im prepared to spend the money.

SlipStream

HSC
addymac said:
It is highly unlikely to be the starter motor. Check all the fuses. Most likely there is a short somewhere in the wiring harness this could possibly have caused the radio to cut out and now blown a fuse meaning you can't start.

Unfortunately whilst the fix is simple the cost is not. Expect to pay an auto-electrician $60+ p/h to find the problem. The alternative is a dodgy alternator or dodgy distributor. Pray for these as they will likely be a cheaper fix.
addymac is spot on. The term is "gremlin" and they are expensive, not to mention freakin annoying... :rolleyes:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
kat-rox-ur-jox said:
hey, does anyone know if u can get a body kit for a 98 ford festiva, i know it dosnt seem worth it but i want my lil' beast looking hot and im prepared to spend the money.
You should be able to pick up a kit fairly readily. If not an exact one then something close enough to the right shape that it can be bonded on. Alternateively if you're into spending big dollars then a custom kit can be made....

Either option does not seem to much sense given the vehicle. If you want to look better then why not sell the festiva and then with the money and the money you were thinking of spending on a kit and buy a nicer looking car. Or buy a car that already has a kit (that you like) on it, as a rule the kit is worth half (or less) than retail once it's on a car. Which is why you never really make your money back on modifying a car, the plus is you can pick up bargains on second hand.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
SlipStream said:
addymac is spot on. The term is "gremlin" and they are expensive, not to mention freakin annoying... :rolleyes:
Just got my car back from the mechanics!! ohh i have my baby back. i feel naked when its not here. Anyway, the mechanic said something about a broken wire that broke off the battery. and he welded one back on... :S... does that sound right? i knew it wasnt anything major... but the beautiful thing runs good now. It was painful watching it being towed away.

SlipStream

HSC
shellybelly087 said:
Just got my car back from the mechanics!! ohh i have my baby back. i feel naked when its not here. Anyway, the mechanic said something about a broken wire that broke off the battery. and he welded one back on... :S... does that sound right? i knew it wasnt anything major... but the beautiful thing runs good now. It was painful watching it being towed away.
The broken wire could've been shorting on something. Ohh well, it's back, and those nightmares of walking and public transport can now disappear... ;)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
You're lucky then. Make sure that the radio is working 100% though as this explains not starting but doesn't neccerserily explain the radio problem....

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
Hey do you guys still read this?
...If you do, I'm looking to buy a new car and would appreciate some advice :D (sorry to be a leech).

Anyway I'm looking for a medium or small car, most likely a sedan and definitely 4 door.
It MUST have 2 airbags.
It MUST have air-conditioning and power steering.
Other stuff I'd appreciate would be ABS, CD-Stereo, etc.

I don't really care ALOT about performance, I drive sensibly. Reliability etc. would be better...

So far I've looked at:
Honda Accord
Mitsubishi Lancer
Toyota Corolla
Subaru RX

Looking for a car that's 2-5 years old. If you have any suggestions or recommendations I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks

SlipStream

HSC
Baiku said:
...If you do, I'm looking to buy a new car and would appreciate some advice :D (sorry to be a leech).

Anyway I'm looking for a medium or small car, most likely a sedan and definitely 4 door.
It MUST have 2 airbags.

I don't really care ALOT about performance, I drive sensibly. Reliability etc. would be better...

So far I've looked at:
Honda Accord
Mitsubishi Lancer
Toyota Corolla
Subaru RX

Looking for a car that's 2-5 years old. If you have any suggestions or recommendations I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks
I'd go the Subi - mainly because it has the advantage of AWD, however you pay for this with a marginal increase in fuel consumption and because it has to drive an extra two wheels you loose a bit of performance. However in my opinion this justifies the extra safety provided by variable AWD. Also, Subarus are very reliable cars.. but not so much as reliable as perhaps the 'rolla. Nowadays newer cars are so similar that people generally make their decision on the basis of features, dynamics and looks. So out of those, what one do you prefer?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Any chance its an accord euro you're looking at? Because that would make pretty awesome car IMO.

Personally I wouldn't take the lancer as comparitevly I'm not hugely impressed by their handling or build quality. The 'rolla would seem a 'lil small so that leaves the Subi and Honda both of which are good cars. Though as a warning both will have expensive parts if something goes wrong.

I'd just choose the you're favourite out if those two.

CieL

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
Q: what happens if i use unleaded petrol in a car which recommends premium unleaded? will it screw up the car?
hell yeh!!

it's to do with combustion levels as premium unleaded is more pure

NEVER put regular unleaded in a premium unleaded car..

i use 98 octane fuel in mine.. mmmmmm smooth

CieL

HSC
Baiku said:

It MUST have 2 airbags.

So far I've looked at:
Honda Accord
Mitsubishi Lancer
Toyota Corolla
Subaru RX

Thanks

do you have a set amount you are willing to spend?
the cars you suggest seem to range in price..

if you thought about the corolla.. why not think about the civic?

i drive a honda accord euro myself and altho it's an awesome ride.. it's damn expensive.. like, nearly double the rolla..

so.. what price are you looking at???

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
Q: what happens if i use unleaded petrol in a car which recommends premium unleaded? will it screw up the car?
It won't screw up the car, persay, but there are consequences for using regular unleaded, such as engine pinging, which is when the engine basically makes a pinging noise under acceleration. Using premium is good for the car but its only recomended so you can use regular unleaded safely.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Engine 'pinging' is premature detonation and is very bad for an engine. Over a prolonged period it will blow chunks out of the top of the pistons....

Do NOT use regular in a premium car.

Also it is generally a bad idea to use high octane fuel in a regular vehicle as it places a higher than intended stress on the engine.

SlipStream

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
Most new cars that are designed to run on premium will take regular - however only if completely necessary, and shouldn't be done on a regular basis. A carbie or older EFI car tuned to take premium will suffer a lot should it be fed regular - only new cars have the electronic intelligence to cope with regular by retarding the timing sufficiently to avoid pinging.

And the vast majority of new cars nowadays will happily feast upon 98RON (BP Ultimate, Mobile Synergy, Caltex Vortex, etc) as it burns cleaner with lesser emissions, burns more efficiently granting better fuel economy and also of course gives a small boost in power. However carbie cars and older EFI cars need to be manually tuned (advance the timing) in order to make the most of their more potent juice - newer cars once again do this electronically on their own.

CieL

HSC
SlipStream said:
98RON (BP Ultimate, Mobile Synergy, Caltex Vortex, etc)
Caltex Vortex is 95RON

Caltex Vortex98 is 98RON

SlipStream

HSC
CieL said:
Caltex Vortex is 95RON

Caltex Vortex98 is 98RON
:rolleyes:

Do you want me to describe to you the fuel's viscosity, smell and taste as well? I better makes sure I describe it perfectly otherwise I'll get people like you telling me "in fact, the fuel has a potent premium smell rather than a striking regular odour."

The people in here aren't dumb; don't treat them with contempt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)