• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Got a question about cars? (1 Viewer)

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
DaddyK said:
Actually your partly wrong, first of all, drifting is when you link 2 or more corners together, not just 1 power slide. And the AE86 corolla makes a good drift car because A. its cheap, cheap to modify and get parts for. B. its light weight, great steering abilities, and of course as you stated, is RWD, they are all major factors that make it a good drift car.
short wheelbase :uhhuh:

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Yes, thankyou slipstream, the nissan gazelle, not the toyota gazelle. Also im just going to add that i think you are the most arrogant person i've ever come across, alot of us know heaps about cars but do we go making threads promoting that? no. So...you know, i just think your a dick.

p.s I couldn't give a fuck if people bag out this post so if you want to waste your time, please do, but seriously, stfu.

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
he sorta does have a point - you seem to know a fair bit, but do come across as being rather arrogant.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
DaddyK said:
Yes, thankyou slipstream, the nissan gazelle, not the toyota gazelle. Also im just going to add that i think you are the most arrogant person i've ever come across, alot of us know heaps about cars but do we go making threads promoting that? no. So...you know, i just think your a dick.

p.s I couldn't give a fuck if people bag out this post so if you want to waste your time, please do, but seriously, stfu.
I disagree, you're just jealous cos he knows more than you :p no but I think he's just trying to contribute to helping people improve their knowledge about cars, he said he would answer people's questions, never did I see him state 'oh i know soo much about cars i'm such an expert' or anything along those lines... I think the only arrogant person here is you. He's just trying to help people out, which is one of the purposes of this whole forum. So leave him alone dammit!
/rant

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
So anyway, SlipStream, or anyone else for that matter, I have another question, though you might not know the answer, cos it's not so much car-related but cleaning related - how do I clean shit off my car seats (not literal shit, I mean drink stains etc)? Have you ever had to clean your (cloth) car seats if so how did you go about it?

SlipStream

HSC
DaddyK said:

Wow what a statement. Clap clap. :rolleyes:

Do you have MSN? You'll find I'm a million times easier to get along with chatting online. We might even become friends...

For the moment, my 'arrogance' is merely a product of my low post count. If I had something along the lines of 5000 posts, my 'arrogance' would be expected. I've been members of forums for way too long. I've met plenty of people like you.

And sure I do waste my time replying to most of the things you post. Would you prefer if I pretended you didn't exist? DaddyK, one of the main reasons I come to this forum is because I have found a use for everything I know, and I feel rewarded by helping people out with it. I reckon BOS is a substitute for me, replacing the fact that my know-how goes unrecognised at my work (Supercheap) and the other forum that I go to, my knowledge is not recognised and appreciated. At BOS, it is. And that's why I keep coming here - to help people. And I like the fact that I have been of help to them. Makes me happy.

I also come to BOS to stir people up a bit, which I'm damn well good at. Look how pissed off you are with me. Entertaining, if you ask me. :) I come across as arrogant, sure I agree, but only because I stir people up by correcting them constantly. Correcting you, constantly.

Why? Because you go over everyone of my posts like a lice comb through a bum's hair trying to find any flaw or mistake I make. And you damn well make sure I am aware of it. So it is only natural that I return the favour. It's not my fault you have more lice than your average bum, so to speak.

Thanks for your support, yenta. You're one of the many people who appreciate my contribution. :) I'll get back to your questions soon.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Funny you should say that slip, i think my knowledge also contributes at my work, supercheap auto. Also im not saying its a bad thing your helping people out, but the way you word your posts, you can just sense it.

Last edited:

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
whats doubleclutching ? i hear it's using the clutch really fast so you skip a gear and get more power or something ?

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
yenta said:
I disagree, you're just jealous cos he knows more than you :p no but I think he's just trying to contribute to helping people improve their knowledge about cars, he said he would answer people's questions, never did I see him state 'oh i know soo much about cars i'm such an expert' or anything along those lines... I think the only arrogant person here is you. He's just trying to help people out, which is one of the purposes of this whole forum. So leave him alone dammit!
/rant
really?

i dont like saying abad word about people who knows about cars or anything to do with them, but Slip....mate....we seem to move from one thread to the next and you keep saying you're going to be a motoring journalist. i reckon thats great, and i believe you'd be more than capable of getting there on plain knowledge and merit (i.e. you wouldnt need to buy the magazine to write for it :p ) buttttttttt, you keep saying it! please dude, it does seem to make you seem arrogant, the only reason i dont think you ARE arrogant, is because i've also read your other posts which dont include your hopes and aspirations for the future.

anyway...double clutching...like Fast & the Furious....*sniggers* only joking :rolleyes:

hehehehehe...

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
cyrax83 said:
whats doubleclutching ? i hear it's using the clutch really fast so you skip a gear and get more power or something ?
Double Clutching is :
Throttle Off
Clutch In
Shift to neutral
Clutch Out
Blip Throttle
Clutch In
Shift to gear
Clutch Out
Throttle On.

basically it is ONLY used in trucks or old old old cars without synchro gear box which means when you shift gears you have to match the rev with the gear...so you blip the throttle before pulling into the gear

in newer cars this is not needed and driving like this in city driving would be stupid
no you don't get more power, i think you will actually slow down more because it takes you longer to shift to new gear

SlipStream

HSC
yenta said:
So anyway, SlipStream, or anyone else for that matter, I have another question, though you might not know the answer, cos it's not so much car-related but cleaning related - how do I clean shit off my car seats (not literal shit, I mean drink stains etc)? Have you ever had to clean your (cloth) car seats if so how did you go about it?
I get this question at work all the time, and I normally recommend hot water with some domestic strength carpet cleaner (something you'd use on a stain in your loungeroom) and a scrubbing brush and a hell of a lot a elbow grease! But I don't like your chances, sorry! :p Like carpet stains in the loungeroom, you need to get to them quickly or they'll become just that: a stain. And stains are pretty permanent. Good luck, though.

ToO LaZy ^* said:
what's vapourlock?... :)
Well, for a start, vapour lock is damn annoying - that's for sure. What is it? Well in a nutshell, older cars used to have the fuel pump nearer to the engine than the tank, so really it has to "suck" (rather than, err, "blow") fuel about half a dozen feet before it gets to the engine. If I remember correctly (no ones ever asked me about vapour lock before so pardon me if the cobwebs are showing), the "sucking" system would create a lower pressure in the lines, and when you'd turn the engine off, sometimes the heat would cause the fuel to boil and become a gas rather than a liquid. Well, the pumps are designed for liquids - not gases. So vapour lock is when the pump cannot pump because there is fuel vapour in the line. I think the solution is to wait until the vapour condenses back into fuel and the pump can get back into it. Used to happen on my Subi occasionally whilst taking the bins up to the street. Becomes annoying after a dozen times...

Demandred said:
Is drifting around a corner faster than the conventional way?
I think as DaddyK pointed out, no. Hell no. If you ask me, drifting carries probably no advantages in regards to taking corners faster. It just looks cool. ;)

cyrax83 said:
It helps you to get into gear should you get stuck upchanging (well, that's what it's used mainly for nowadays). One would have to learn how to double clutch in the old days when cars didn't have syncros on the forwards gears (syncros stop that grinding sound) so it was necessary to double clutch downchanging to stop that horrid grinding noise and for smoother operation. On some cars, like my mummy's Pajero, the syncros have gone to syncro heaven on first and second, so you have to double clutch in order to get into those gears when downchanging. It isn't easy, that's for sure. Most of the time, I just don't bother ... clutch in and gliiiiide.

As for the method, redslert was spot on. Try to remember next time you're in a car with rooted syncros. ALSO, double clutching and heal-toe downchanges are too different things, commonly confused with each other. Heal-toe downchanging is similar to double clutching, but.

natstar said:
My car makes a ticking noise when its idel. My engine was rebuilt last year cuz the previous owner didnt use the right type of oil and it kinda stuffed the engine up, which was fixed. The mechanic says its fine tho, but i remember him saying it was something to do with the timing belt
You have the Excel, eh? I have heard they tend to cark it when not cared for - they were designed to be a "disposable" car. Buy it, put 100 000 kays on it, then sell it to some kid and buy another one. So they're nowhere near as robust as, say, a Falcon. But there is an army of them out there, so parts are easy to get. I'd imagine the rebuild would of cost a bit – at least you can rest assured that your little Excel will last longer than most others out there now.

braad and DaddyK, yeh you guys are right. I do come across as pretty arrogant. I know why, as well, so I'll try to dull it down a little. I don't want to make enemies here, but I do enjoy hiding behind my username and acting the way I wouldn't in real life. But hey! That's what forums are all about, right?? :p

And you know more than me, DaddyK? We'll see about that! :p If you ever answer my request for your MSN address (come on, I bet everyone on this forum uses MSN) then we can have a tech showdown (something I do with my car mates) and see who's da baus!

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
i wonderrrrrrr iffffff, like carpets, use soda water on some things, surprising how it works. anyways, like SlipStream said, a stain is a stain

Dj_danizm

HSC
N/A
Ok a question. I have a Nissan pulsar q its 89 n13 model. I have turbo manifold, 3.5" hi flow exhuast, pod gold98 ecu chip and thats it performance wise. I want a turbo shud i convert it to a ca18det or keep the existing engine and build on it.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Dj_danizm said:
Ok a question. I have a Nissan pulsar q its 89 n13 model. I have turbo manifold, 3.5" hi flow exhuast, pod gold98 ecu chip and thats it performance wise. I want a turbo shud i convert it to a ca18det or keep the existing engine and build on it.
well that's a pretty open ended question.
firstly what is your budget?
secondly are you good enough to do it yorself so you can save plenty or are you going to get someone else to do it?

you have to ask yourself whether it will be worth adding a turbo to this kind of car
wouldn't it end up being cheaper and less hassles if you just sold it and bought a gtir?

SlipStream

HSC
Dj_danizm said:
By "converting" do you mean swapping the entire engine to a DET OR putting DET parts onto your DE to make it a turbo?

If I had a Pulsar and I was after a hairdryer to hang off the side of my engine, it'd probably be much cheaper to get a CA18DET front cut (with the computer) and drop it in, rather than having to pay someone to install a new turbo, tune it, iron out the gremlins (which takes ages, costs heaps, is irritating and a little depressing at times). The gremlins alone would put me right off.

At least with the factory DET engine, you can rest assured it has only the common, cheap gremlins that come with age; it is fully engineered and has been tested to meet high durability standards by Nissan. They've ironed out all the creases for you.

A CA18DET front cut (transaxle FWD) costs between about $2500 and $3500. It would cost much more to pay someone to install it; unless you go about doing it yourself.

INXS

King For A Day
HSC
The reason for blow off valves? So they make that cool Vvvvvvchhh sound (^-^)

I know its got something to do with turbos and pressure and shit. Could you please clarify this for me. BOVS are for manual only right? Is it possible to get a BOV without a turbo?

Cheers.

SlipStream

HSC
INXS said:
The reason for blow off valves? So they make that cool Vvvvvvchhh sound (^-^)

I know its got something to do with turbos and pressure and shit. Could you please clarify this for me. BOVS are for manual only right? Is it possible to get a BOV without a turbo?

Cheers.
Imagine the turbine and compressor impeller spinning at 150 000 rpm+ at high revs. The pressure in the intake manifold is, say 16psi. As soon as you take your foot off the pedal, the throttle body butterfly (that little round flap) closes instantly - the air being pumped at high speed into the intake plenum is suddenly bunched up behind the throttle body butterfly with no where to go - but the compressor is still whirling away at those awesome speeds.

The turbo is still pumping the air at the same speeds but into a far greater space behind the throttle body butterfly (normally it goes straight past, into the intake plenum and down into the cylinders). It can't just keep pumping air, there is a limit. This is where we face an issue called compressor surge, where the compressor impeller has to slow down (rapidly) because it can no longer pump air into that little space. This is all happening in seconds, mind you.

Imagine as soon as you have changed gears, you come back onto the throttle - fully. You need boost, right? Well tough luck. The turbo is now spinning at about 10 000rpm because of compressor surge - it had to slow because it couldn't pump air at such high density. You'll have a flat spot as you come back onto the throttle while the turbo spools back up to 150 000 rpm or so. This puts a big dent into acceleration.

The idea of the BOV (or Compressor Bypass valve as it is professionally known) is to vent this build up of pressure behind the throttle body so that the compressor does not surge and slow down - by venting the pressure, the BOV keeps the turbo spinning so when you come back onto the throttle, you have 11psi of boost instead of about 3psi. You're already a lot closer to the max boost pressure (I think I said 16psi), so you're already going faster thanks to the BOV. Mainly used in race applications, like all race technology it made its way back to the street somehow.

So there's the reason for a BOV - to keep the turbo spinning after you come off the accelerator.

Nah BOV aren't common on autos as you don't tend to close the throttle when upchanging - just keep it wiiiiiide open. In an auto one only tends to close the throttle when slowing down, so compressor deceleration isn't such an issue.

Yes it's possible to get a turbo without a BOV and leave all the pressure regulation to the poor wastegate. Although I don't know why - BOVs help a lot and most stock turbo cars have em (like WRXs and XR6Ts) - they're just tiny, inefficient in comparison to aftermarket set ups and very quiet. However, you can get BOVs without the fully sik "brrrrrrrrrrrrrm tooootoootoo" - they do what BOVs were originally designed for: venting the pressure back in front of the compressor to pass through the turbo again. They do it silently. The ones that make noise are atmospheric BOVs and try to be as loud as possible (check the massive trumpets on the bastards)... "fully sik" if you will.

You can buy "Stealth FX" BOVs that vent the air conventionally back before the compressor and silently, but when you turn the cap it re-routes the pressure through an atmospheric set up and makes a crazy loud noise.

I think that about answers your Qs, INXS. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)