govt medical checks (1 Viewer)

kalli

HSC
i recently got a job at auspost and i need to pass the standard government medical and police check...

does anyone know what the medical check is about? will they take blood etc?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I had to do a medical to get my job at bridgeclimb... not a govt one... but we had to do a urine test (ick freaked me out I didn't expect that lol), then they checked our heart/breathing/reflexes/height/weight and whether we could bend properly, reach our hands up above our heads etc (so basically mobility). Then we had to fill in a big form asking us if we had eevery suffered from things on this huge list of medical conditions, and then we had to talk to the doctor and explain what had happened if we had ever had the condition (e.g. I had a back injury in the past, so I just had to explain the treatment I had and whether I had any problems since etc).

We didn't have to do a blood test though.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
hmm well i just had to have a medical for a job i got for next year
i was sent to an occupational therapist who made me do a series of exercises to see if i was fit/flexible/wasnt going to die. i had to kneel for 3 minutes, squat for 3 minutes, bend for 3 minutes, bend and arrange cards, lift arms and legs in all directions to see if i was flexible enough to do it, he checked my reflexes, checked i could carry things etc
i had to have an eye, hearing, weight and urine test and he went through all the results with me.
thats what happened when i had a medical, maybe itll be something like that?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
yeah that is basically what happened at mine as well... I think they just want to check that you have the physical mobility etc to do the job and you aren't going to get a dodgy back within two months and then be out on workers comp. Don't worry about it... I was a bit freaked when I heard I had to have one, but it wasn't much of a big deal.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
kalli said:
i recently got a job at auspost and i need to pass the standard government medical and police check...

does anyone know what the medical check is about? will they take blood etc?
Yeah I have my medical for AusPost tomorow. When did you do your examination, I've might of seen you :p

Its a simple test to see your flexibility and all. They have a chair lifting exercise, make sure you bend you legs and pick up the chair. Make sure you don't have any back pain or problems. Urine exam is mainly fo find any bad substances so don't bother drinking 2 litres of water before arriving.

Everything being examined is stated in the forms they sent to you.

kalli

HSC
bscienceboi said:
Yeah I have my medical for AusPost tomorow. When did you do your examination, I've might of seen you :p

Its a simple test to see your flexibility and all. They have a chair lifting exercise, make sure you bend you legs and pick up the chair. Make sure you don't have any back pain or problems. Urine exam is mainly fo find any bad substances so don't bother drinking 2 litres of water before arriving.

Everything being examined is stated in the forms they sent to you.
I havent got my forms yet as i was only offered the job last friday... youre not in melbourne are you?

i dont see why i will need a medical as i will be working as a software tester... ill be sitting on my butt all day! LOL

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Eh, your in Melborn :p

Here are the following tests:
- Maddox Rod Test (for your eyes)
- Whisper Test; if you fail you have to do a Audiometry Test.
- Physical Examination where you have to remove your garments ...

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I've done the Australia Post medical test twice in the past. If you can walk, see and hear properly to a certain degree, then you will pass it with flying colours.

Basically, they do the stuff that other people have mentioned here already, so I won't repeat them again. So just be prepared to do a urine test, have your knee hit with a hammer and have yourself weighed. Basically, blood pressure, reflexes and so on will be tested.

You have to fill out the form before you go in (if you didn't already get it), which you'll probably end up ticking NO to most of it since it asks you if you have about 100 diseases, to which you have to tick YES or NO.

As for the police check, well if you haven't committed a major crime, then again you'll be fine. Because your working in a government place that deals with private and confidential information (other people's mail) then they have to background check you, so you're not likely to steal any mail. That's pretty much the first thing they'll tell you at induction, is that stealing mail is a jail-able offense.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
If you tick YES for back pain then you would probably lose the job because one of the key roles of the mailofficer is to carry loads of up to 16Kgs. But they can always offer you something else. (This is for Aus Post Christmas Casual)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well, depending on which hub or mail centre you work at, you will hardly ever be required to pick up anything greater than 5kgs. If you have trouble carrying 16kgs then you are more than welcome to ask a team mate or supervisor to help. They don't mind helping if its something heavy like that.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
I had to do a medical to get my job at bridgeclimb... not a govt one... but we had to do a urine test (ick freaked me out I didn't expect that lol), then they checked our heart/breathing/reflexes/height/weight and whether we could bend properly, reach our hands up above our heads etc (so basically mobility). Then we had to fill in a big form asking us if we had eevery suffered from things on this huge list of medical conditions, and then we had to talk to the doctor and explain what had happened if we had ever had the condition (e.g. I had a back injury in the past, so I just had to explain the treatment I had and whether I had any problems since etc).

We didn't have to do a blood test though.
Do you still work at bridgeclimb ash? My friend Tim works there (I think he still does).

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Serious? Tim? Does he work in guest services (getting people ready for the climb)... if he does then I work with him.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I had my medical examination today. Took less than 5 minutes and it seemed rushed.

Didn't get the reflex thing with the knee.

ALl he did was
- check breathing 5 times
- measure BMI
- test eyesight
- told me to touch my toes and bend mny back backwards, then sideways.
- measured blood pressure
- simple listening test by covering one ear

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)