GOVT1202 World Politics (1 Viewer)

bustinjustin

HSC
Anyone go to the World Politics lecture today and actually stay for the whole two hours? Did he take a break in between this time around? I can only ever stay for the first hour thanks to tute at 2, did he make anymore important points (he finally did today and I made an effort to write them down, and yes, I actually understood what he was saying, though I couldn't tell which was systemic vs statis, Gil can't list things properly). The textbook looks comprehensive enough for us to fall back on...

On a completely different tangent, today in my Asian History (Indonesian) tute, out of the ten, there were three of us from the same obscure suburb in Sydney's south - including our fill-in tutor, one of the lecturers... small small world...

cimbom

HSC
Haha I stayed for the whole two hours... but it was also my first govt1202 lecture. He gave us a 10minute break at 10 to 3. It's not so much his accent that makes lectures difficult to understand, but rather the absolute lack of structure and clarity. I took down what i could... he spoke about the definition of international relations and political actors, the necessity of political paradigms- causation and effect of political problems, and then all over the place about liberalism and realism. The only clear point that he made today that I understood was something about a realist analysis accepting the inevitability of war between political actors?

I seriously tried to follow but it's difficult. I think it's possible though... once we get past the introductory topics and into clearer subject matter.

cimbom

HSC
Thursday 5pm- but I'm trying to change it.

bustinjustin

HSC
Oh wow I've got Tueday 5pm it's the worst time for a tute I think we have the same tutor actually, Angelica, who is strangely nicknamed 'Gel' (pronounced Gil). She's actually a high school teacher, and in my first tute we had Adam Lockyer substitute because Gel was at a, er, parent teacher night...
But the textbook and the tute makes things a lot more coherent (ie: Levels of analysis and paradigms are the two ways to analyse world politics, and all we'll really do is go through the different levels and paradigms this semester yay). Strangely, there's also a girl in my tute who loved Gil and International Securities so much that she had to go back and do the World Politics junior unit...

Last edited:

bustinjustin

HSC
Notes for the first lecture were put up today, there not as cryptic as he said they would be.

cimbom

HSC
bustinjustin said:
Oh wow I've got Tueday 5pm it's the worst time for a tute I think we have the same tutor actually, Angelica, who is strangely nicknamed 'Gel' (pronounced Gil). She's actually a high school teacher, and in my first tute we had Adam Lockyer substitute because Gel was at a, er, parent teacher night...
But the textbook and the tute makes things a lot more coherent (ie: Levels of analysis and paradigms are the two ways to analyse world politics, and all we'll really do is go through the different levels and paradigms this semester yay). Strangely, there's also a girl in my tute who loved Gil and International Securities so much that she had to go back and do the World Politics junior unit...
Yeah that's my tutor. Wow a school teacher? Now she's preparing to do her PhD, I think she said. But I just wish they'd give us the tutorial questions in advance like last semester in govt1202. It makes readings clearer.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
Ah bless, Adam is awesome. Shame hes not tutoring full time this semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)