• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

GPA and results of third year students for psychology? (1 Viewer)

celestia

HSC
I've only just given myself the opportunity to register on the forums and despite running a search on 'GPA', 'results', 'psychology' and variations thereof, I was wondering what the specific results acquired were- for students admitted to honours and postgrad dip in Psychology across their psych cores (or rather the psychology subjects used to factor in their GPA).

Minimum entry to psych honours is usually 65-70 (from what I have researched on relevant websites offering this), but with the influx of psych students applying, and while one always hopes to do the best they can, I'm the sort of person who prefers to deduce where the guestimated actual cut-off is sort of at. (Post grad dip students are more than welcome to respond as well)

I'm about to enter third year psych and given this particular year (for some universities) is weighted heavily in preparation for post-tertiary education in psych, I'd love to know what other students who did third year psych acquired at the completion of their 3rd year of studying their psychology degree ..and whether they were admitted to either the honours or post grad dip. For those who entered an Hons. program

Obviously if there is uncomfort disclosing this information, then perhaps just the GPA obtained? and at which university?

Cheers and thanks!

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

I've only just given myself the opportunity to register on the forums and despite running a search on 'GPA', 'results', 'psychology' and variations thereof, I was wondering what the results acquired were- for students admitted to honours and postgrad dip in Psychology across their psych cores (or rather the psychology subjects used to factor in their GPA).
It depends on the university. I am 90% sure that if you went onto the relevant university psychology pages, you'd find the information there.

celestia

HSC
It depends on the university. I am 90% sure that if you went onto the relevant university psychology pages, you'd find the information there.
Yes, I am aware it is different for each university. Most answers always depend on the question. If I was interested in a particular university, I would have disclosed that sort of criteria specifically. I'm requesting insight from accepted students across the forum to disclose the cumulative GPA they achieved, whether it be across their 3rd year psychology cores, their entire psychology major, their entire academic record or something else entirely (or in addition to). Ideally, their profile comes complete with the university they are affiliated with. If not, then PMs and the 'reply' button is a-okay!

Unfortunately, the pages you suggest only provide the minimum entry score required for admission- details in which I have already acknowledged in the last paragraph of my original post.

I hope that clarifies the post for you. :)

Ben1220

HSC
Well then, in that case... I did read some lecture slides on a presentation about an honours year at Melbourne Uni, but it wasn't for psychology, so it might be a little different for psychology.

The absolute bare minimum is 65, but even then if there is competition you might not get in, the way it was described in this presentation was:

80-100 average (H1): "We would love to have you!"
75-80 average (H2A): "Sure no problem"
70-75 average (H2B): "Probably ok, but you will need to work harder"
65-70 average (H3): "Not a good idea. You will find it challenging. If you are certain that you want to do honours then maybe we could let you in. You would need to do lots of extra work and work alot harder"
Pass or bellow: "No"

I can't find the actual lecture slides though, so this is going from memory :(

X

xeuyrawp

Unfortunately, the pages you suggest only provide the minimum entry score required for admission
... As opposed to maximum entry score required for admission? :S

And as for the rest of your passive aggressive post, there was no need to be a bitch; you're not going to get many helpful responses on a forum unless you are clear.

As stated, AFAIK, there isn't really any ambiguity in marks required for entry into psych honours - at least at the Sydney unis. Yes, it's often competitive, but what they say on their websites is what they require. But hey, I only know this from experience with other people. /shrug

ben1220 said:
Generally "H1" means First Class Honours, H2A = High Second, etc, H2B = Low Second, etc.

celestia

HSC
... As opposed to maximum entry score required for admission? :S
No. As opposed to the actual grades they had when they were admitted into Honours (even Postgrad.dip) Psychology.

And as for the rest of your passive aggressive post, there was no need to be a bitch; you're not going to get many helpful responses on a forum unless you are clear.
If someone has trouble understanding my expression, I'll happily clarify- which i believe I am trying to do. I don't believe you have to take personal insult for the way I chose to read your post, the same as I do not call you a bitch for the way you have chosen to read mine.

As stated, AFAIK, there isn't really any ambiguity in marks required for entry into psych honours - at least at the Sydney unis. Yes, it's often competitive, but what they say on their websites is what they require. But hey, I only know this from experience with other people. /shrug
You state that psych honours is often competitive, yet there is no ambiguity in the marks. This would imply that if you get the required minimum (actual cut-off for the year is not always displayed) you're in.

What I am saying is that I believe the required minimum for admission into psych honours won't cut it anymore.
If you have 20 psych honours positions and 80 students apply, 60 students logically miss out...even if they meet minimum marks/qualifications required for entry into psych honours. If I know the scores of these 20 students, I'm able to determine that in spite of a 65 grade average, the lowest accepted score was perhaps 70.

Now while this sort of data cannot be acquired here due to obvious reasons (subject to bias, subject to response, different universities and methodologies, different years, different actual cut-offs etc), to get a general feel of responses, one can infer that while psych students are eligible to apply wih a 65 grade average, realistically, they may need a 70 instead.

Hopefully the edit is better for you and does not make you feel I am being passive aggressive (as prior to this post, you have bought the issue up twice; both here and in PM).

Minimum entry to psych honours is usually 65-70 (from what I have researched on relevant websites offering this), but with the influx of psych students applying, and while one always hopes to do the best they can, I'm the sort of person who prefers to deduce where the guestimated actual cut-off is sort of at. (Post grad dip students are more than welcome to respond as well)

Last edited:

celestia

HSC
Well then, in that case... I did read some lecture slides on a presentation about an honours year at Melbourne Uni, but it wasn't for psychology, so it might be a little different for psychology.

The absolute bare minimum is 65, but even then if there is competition you might not get in, the way it was described in this presentation was:

75-80 average (H2A): "Sure no problem"
70-75 average (H2B): "Probably ok, but you will need to work harder"
65-70 average (H3): "Not a good idea. You will find it challenging. If you are certain that you want to do honours then maybe we could let you in. You would need to do lots of extra work and work alot harder"
Pass or bellow: "No"

I can't find the actual lecture slides though, so this is going from memory :(
Thank you Ben! Competition for psychology is most likely high enough to require greater-than-the-minimum average, especially at Unimelb- but the manner in which this presentation is delivered is quite helpful in its own way :D

Was the presentation for the general arts degree by any chance?

X

xeuyrawp

No. As opposed to the actual grades they had when they were admitted into Honours (even Postgrad.dip) Psychology.
One would assume these grades are above the minimum grades, which are advertised, don't you think?

Not sure why you'd want to know people's marks when the minimum is advertised - unless you're conducting some sort of statistical examination of it.

What I am saying is that I believe the required minimum for admission into psych honours won't cut it anymore.
Er, depending on each university's policy, I suppose? That's why many universities often update their minimum requirements...?

Edit:
Thank you Ben!
Erm, as I said, what he just laid out "H1, H2A, H3A" etc, is the actual honours results themselves, eg First Class, High Second, etc. It would seem odd that you would need First Class Honours to get into honours.

Last edited by a moderator:

celestia

HSC
We obviously don't assume the same things. Even cut-offs for transfer in certain programs may be slightly lower/significantly higher than the published score. For all you know, some respondents may in fact have gotten in with minimum grade averages at the university they applied for. Other respondents may have found that even with a 65 minimum average requirement, a 78+ was necessary to gain entry. I'm sure some people are happy believing anything above 65 will get you in, I, however, would like to know from those who got in, what scores they had (at the end of their 3rd year) when they were successfully admitted.

You seem to have a hard time accepting that.

It seems other people find it completely normal to ask about cut-offs in their area of interest, despite a minimum average being published. I don't see why I can't be interested in procuring infomation you don't find the same interest in. Maybe it is just you.

dolbinau

HSC
At Macquarie Uni in one of the info sessions (I'm only a 1st year student), they claimed that there was no maximum/quota for Honours places, and if you got above the minimum - you're in.

Since it seems you're not getting the response you're looking for, maybe you could try contacting the Psychology departments directly and ask if there is a maximum number.

isjongood

HSC
Psych Honours is very competitive.

I had a talk with the honours supervisor for psych at UWS and the realistic cutoff this year was around 75-80 minimum.

I got in with a mark that was between 80 to 90 for anyone that cares.

Last edited:

celestia

HSC
Psych Honours is very competitive.

I had a talk with the honours supervisor for psych at UWS and the realistic cutoff this year was around 75-80 minimum.

I got in with a mark that was between 80 to 90 for anyone that cares.
Thank you so much for this information! That definitely helps since it seems the published general admission (the page didn't explicitly say whether their minimum was modified) is at 65.

Just wondering, did they calculate the average of your entire degree, your psych cores or just your third year? Of course if you can't confirm, ill have a more indepth read on the site. I may have missed the details on the page.

At Macquarie Uni in one of the info sessions (I'm only a 1st year student), they claimed that there was no maximum/quota for Honours places, and if you got above the minimum - you're in.

Since it seems you're not getting the response you're looking for, maybe you could try contacting the Psychology departments directly and ask if there is a maximum number.
Responses seem to be leaking in so it's all good! :D I'm hoping to email psych departments when semester starts; I usually find that I have more chance of a decent sized response if I contact them within in that timeframe!

It's interesting to know Maquarie has no fixed quota on the number of Honours places. I read on this forum Maquarie is rated rather high on psychology so I figured that cross-institutional applications would try to get in as well. Anyway! That's pretty awesome to hear. I'll update this anyway if I get in contact with the admissions and find otherwise. Thanks so much :D

isjongood

HSC
Thank you so much for this information! That definitely helps since it seems the published general admission (the page didn't explicitly say whether their minimum was modified) is at 65.

Just wondering, did they calculate the average of your entire degree, your psych cores or just your third year? Of course if you can't confirm, ill have a more indepth read on the site. I may have missed the details on the page.
They calculate the average of all your psych cores over three years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)