GPA calculation (1 Viewer)

Gurlpower

HSC
does anyone know how GPAs are calculated?

what is a credit average?

mine is currently sitting at 4.286 so its time to get my shit together but what am i aiming for? and how do they accellerate up?

i have no idea so anything would help me.

L

LaraB

Gurlpower said:
does anyone know how GPAs are calculated?

what is a credit average?

mine is currently sitting at 4.286 so its time to get my shit together but what am i aiming for? and how do they accellerate up?

i have no idea so anything would help me.

GPA's are done as follows:

P = 4
C = 5
D = 6
HD = 7

F = 0, but theres various different one for fails and stuff depending on what type of fail it is and can't remember which one's which so won't go into it... but a plain fail is 0 i think

basically - you get a numeric 'value' for each unit you do depending on how well you do, they add them up and average them. It's done progressively - ie, your 1st year 2nd semester GPA is found by averaging out your 2nd AND 1st semester marks..

eg - mine, i got 3 Cs and a D in 1st semester 1st year, so that's 5+5+5+6 / 4... so my GPA was 5.25..

then 2nd semester i got 3Ds and a HD... so my GPA was 5+5+5+6+6+6+6+7 / 8 which was 5.75...

then 1st semester 2nd year i got 3Ds and a HD again... so my GPA was 5+5+5+6+6+6+6+6+6+6+7+7 / 12.... so it became 5.92...

so it adds up over your entire uni degree

It's the same for p/t and f/t - they're added and averaged out in the same way.

A "credit average" is a 5GPA. It doesn't change if you get higher or lower credits because the same 'points' are awarded regardless of what mark you get i.e. if you get 65, you'll get teh same GPA points as someone who got 74.

Gurlpower

HSC
thankyou for that extremely helpful post.

so it doesnt matter at all if u get 65 or 74? thats interesting.

i think i have no chance then.

i missed alot of credits by 2 or 3 marks and i figured that a 67 would cancel out a 63.

guess not.

Gurlpower

HSC
how do u get HDS anyway?

seriousl im smart and seem to top my assignments regularly

yet i never get HDs.

Ds yeah, but never the HD.
whats the secret?

L

LaraB

Gurlpower said:
how do u get HDS anyway?

seriousl im smart and seem to top my assignments regularly

yet i never get HDs.

Ds yeah, but never the HD.
whats the secret?
Have a look on the marking guidelines - they givce you a general idea, pretty standard for all units...

but, for eg, the things i've gotten HDs for well.. multiple choice things you can't count coz that's straight forward :) but other assessments...

the things i got HDs for i usually had heaps of references... anywhere from 20 to 40... but, having lots of references doesn't mean you get a good mark necessarily - i know people who had 30+ and still only got credits because it was pretty clear that they didn't read them or they used them inappropriately, so you have to actually read and use them all...obviously you answer the question, but you do it in a unique way... like.. taking a certain angle/perspective on it.. it's easier in questions that have a political/social/subjective inclination though... you MUST have perfect spelling and stuff to get a HD, at least that's what they say, you need to use sophisticated language (and despite popular belief - this doesn't mean changing every 2nd word using a thesaurus lol coz markers can tell when you've done this), in verbal assessments or tute presentations that i got HDs for, they always said that what put me over a D into a HD was having confidence, being well spoken, taking questions/criticisms without offence, being able to think on yoru feet rather than following a 'script'... things like that :)

If you do get a D though and you wanna know what meant you didn't get a HD, just ask the marker :) they're usually pretty happy to give you some feedback :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)