Graduate Law? (1 Viewer)

lover189

HSC
I'm having trouble over what course I should do now that I have my UAI.
I got enough to get into UTS combined law, but not enough for UNSW/USYD law which I'm okay with. But i have a few questions

- I've always been interested in the new course at USYD B Arts (Advanced) (Honours) and was wondering would it be a better idea to complete this course and then apply for graduate law?? As it is honours, I heard that chances of getting into grad law would be better? (as long as I had a good avg but seeing as u need at least a credit avg to continue this course..?)
OR
is it safer to just go into UTS and maybe after 1st year transfer??

TIA

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
note that you can transfer into a combined law program from any degree at any institution, not just law degrees. therefore, it's possible to transfer from B. Arts to B. Arts/LLB after your first year.

if you're really bent on law, i would enrol myself in a law degree at another institution, then transfer.

Last edited:

Metric

HSC
N/A
If you want to do the advanced BA, then go for it. But, as Frigid said, if you are completely sure that you want to do law right away then it would probably be a good idea to enroll at different university. UTS is a good law school.

The only reasons I would go down the graduate law path are either I really wanted to go to USyd or I really wanted to do an intense research-driven undergraduate degree in a particular field first.

Either way, you can apply to transfer after your first year.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
It dependson how much going to USYD/UNSW matters to you, how keen u are on law and how long you want to be at uni. I'm assuming the Arts course is 3 (if not f4 years as it is has honours) then if you take grad law thats another 3 years. Combined programs mean u get 2 degrees in 5 years, if you did grad law it would be either 6 or 7 years. Also the risk you run of not taking the law degree is if the arts course doesn't interest you or you don't do well in it for some other reason you may not get great enough marks to transfer into a law program later.

I'd take UTS law and go for a transfer if you want at the end of first year.

historykidd

HSC
Bump.

I need help pretty urgently. With a uai of 95, what sort of marks/averages would you need to transfer into grad. law? Would a safer option be to undertake a DFEE law course at UNSW?

historykidd

HSC
Ashmobs said:
High Credit-Distinction Average
Thanks for the quick reply - I know you've done arts units, how hard would it be to maintain those sort of marks with decent essaying skills and a resonable amount of effort? Thanks.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
historykidd said:
Thanks for the quick reply - I know you've done arts units, how hard would it be to maintain those sort of marks with decent essaying skills and a resonable amount of effort? Thanks.
Not too hard. High credit to distinction is about 70-80, which is reasonably easily achievable in arts if you can write a decent essay and don't slack off too much.

HSC
Ashmobs said:
Piss easy, imho.

Just choose Arts subjects you're gonna enjoy. The average Arts student probably got a UAI ~80, so theoretically you should be better equipped to excel than most of your competition (if we take UAI to be somewhat indicative of intellectual ability).
Which is not always the case.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Preference is giving to people with higher degrees including honours. So, do honours with, maybe, 2.1, apply everywhere and you will get an offer 100% guaranteed money back

However, realise in that time, with 2.1 you could probably do a MA leading onto a PhD in your field if you enjoy it.I'm gay.

Last edited:

lover189

HSC
jb_nc said:
Preference is giving to people with higher degrees including honours. So, do honours with, maybe, 2.1, apply everywhere and you will get an offer 100% guaranteed money back

However, realise in that time, with 2.1 you could probably do a MA leading onto a PhD in your field if you enjoy it.I'm gay.

sorry but what is 2.1??

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Where's 3rd class (I'm assuming 'H3') offered/what's the cut off for it? It just seems like a 'participation' award compared to the others, that's all.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
It's slightly different depending on which university it is. But I think it roughly corresponds to:

80-100 H1
75-79 H2A
70-74 H2B
60-69 H3

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
thegovernator said:
Isn't 75+ 1st class honours?
I don't know, like I said it depends on which university you're talking about. As far as I know, first class honours is usually 80+.

But it'd be great if someone else can clarify this or provide some feedback re academic result ranking at their uni.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
I don't know, like I said it depends on which university you're talking about. As far as I know, first class honours is usually 80+.

But it'd be great if someone else can clarify this or provide some feedback re academic result ranking at their uni.
At UOW, Honours is awarded based on the completion of a research elective, and ranked based on your marks:

75+ First Class
72.5-74 Second Class (I)
70-72.5 Second Class (II)
< 70 Honours not awarded

T

thegovernator

pretty sure uts and usyd are like this too in terms of marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)