• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Graduate medicine with these undergraduate degrees? (1 Viewer)

Horrific2310

HSC
Is it possible to enter graduate medicine with a bachelor of psychology or a combined degree: bachelor of science and master of nutrition and dietetics? (both at syd uni, not really relevant but ..)
I'm just not quite sure if I want to do med straight away even if I did make it in. I want to explore other avenues for experience sake.
Thoughts?

lvella10

HSC
It's possible with any undergraduate degree no matter what university .. gamsat, interview and gpa would be required to meet application standards

enoilgam

HSC
For postgrad medicine any bachelors degree will do (I think it has too be at least 3 years full-time in duration).

lvella10

HSC
For postgrad medicine any bachelors degree will do (I think it has too be at least 3 years full-time in duration).
I got told the 2 years fast track nursing degree at Utas is an exception ? Not sure on that, I think the lady was just promoting the uni without any real knowledge

enoilgam

HSC
I got told the 2 years fast track nursing degree at Utas is an exception ? Not sure on that, I think the lady was just promoting the uni without any real knowledge
There are a few degrees which fast track like that (med sci, some nursing degrees). For other degrees its usually 3 years full-time.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
You can go into Medicine with ANY Bachelor degree, regardless of whether it is Science-related or not.

However, people having a strong background in Science (especially those who studied Medical Science, or anything Medical-related) would be more advantaged to begin with.

Horrific2310

HSC
Yeah, I'm not really thinking 'backup'.. It's just exploring other avenues before entering a very intense course. Psychology is 4yrs full time and dietetics is 5yrs. I think dietetics would be better seeing as it provides 2 degrees with only an additional year?
Apparently med science doesn't prepare you for grad med .. that's what I've heard :S And it would be better to do adv science or the like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)